PDA

View Full Version : New to Area

tedsterosa1.2
10-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I am new to the Seattle area and relatively new to spearboard. This is my first post and I was wondering where most people dive. How are conditions in the Sound? Is it better to drive all the way out to the Pacific? Any websites on visibility? I would just like a basic rundown of diving over here. Any info would be appreciated.
-Ted

petej
10-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Check out seaotter.com it has a huge collection of dive sites all over washington and lots in the seattle area, both shore and boat dives. The coast is better in the spring and summer since ling season is open and the weather is better, but it is totally worth the time to go out there, it is amazing.

scubajobert
10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
welcome to the board.

mepps1
10-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I am new to the Seattle area and relatively new to spearboard. This is my first post and I was wondering where most people dive. How are conditions in the Sound? Is it better to drive all the way out to the Pacific? Any websites on visibility? I would just like a basic rundown of diving over here. Any info would be appreciated.
-Ted

Good luck. It seems to be a little tough to find spearfishers in the Sound. Of course, you'll want to read the reg's several times yourself. But as a quick run-down, spearing is highly restricted within the sound, depending on species and dates. All rockfish are taboo.

The sound itself is nice. Vis is tolerable to good. Current ranges from easy to outrageous. Water is cold. Most of the locals dive dry suits.

I've only dove Mukilteo. There were a lot of divers there, but few spearos. Crabs can be had in season. If you spearfish there, be sure to check out the old demolished dock to the north of the ferry. There are fish under the old concrete structure.

Please find some more great sites, so that the next time I'm out there, I have someone to get info from!

And be sure to post some reports when you get out!

As far as regulations, it is definitely easier to dive the ocean. There are some good trip reports from Neah Bay, but I couldn't find any right now.

tedsterosa1.2
10-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll report back after/if I go.

pensacolaracer
10-25-2009, 08:39 PM
If you are looking for more local info, http://www.nwdiveclub.com/ is a great place. I have posted several trip reports from Neah Bay there.

Samson
11-13-2009, 11:32 AM
If you are looking for more local info, http://www.nwdiveclub.com/ is a great place. I have posted several trip reports from Neah Bay there.

LOL....

Be careful about posting spearing tales on nwdiveclub. They are a group of divers who, for the most part are VERY against spearing. They even went so far as to organize a revolt against a local gal who was teaching and hosting a spearing event here in the sound last year. They even threatened the charter operator into canceling the charter for them. Spearfishing in the sound is looked upon as detrimental to the fish populations here, never mind the thousands of fishermen in boats above you.
If you want any real spearing around here, you need to go to BC or out to Neah bay.