PDA

View Full Version : Spearing ling, how to do ?

Spudcote
10-28-2009, 12:52 AM
I posted another thread to see if anyone else fishes in BC, but figured this question was more oriented to the fishing community as a whole.

I am completely new to spear fishing, and the only like-experience I have is harpooning sport caught halibut. I am anxious to try and spear a ling or rockcod some time (since salmon are illegal to spear...).

What have people found to be the best type of spearhead ? and would you reccomend using a gun, sling or polespear ?
The other part of it is how would you subdue it, as in, say you hit a 30lb fish (have seen a few recently...), what's to stop it dragging you down ? I understand a knife between the eyes seems to be an effective way of silencing a fish, but it's the from spear-to-kill phase i'm interested in.
One a slightly different note, I work up in northern BC (Queen Charlotte Islands) and we get some pretty darn big ling up there, among other things. I wouldn't be able to take a tank up with me and plan on freediving around some of the kelp-beds, how would you bring a large ling to the surface, like would you have a rope to your spear and tie it to a buoy and then just follow the buoy ?

Once again, I'm completely green to this, so any and all help is appreciated. I am a rod and reel guy at heart and trying to combine 2 passions, diving and fihsing and see spearfihsing as a good combo and trying to get into it. If for whatever reason anyone has any questions about rod and reel, I can answer most questions, info exchange ?...haha
Thanks.
Take it easy,
Spudcote

fishhunter24
10-28-2009, 09:02 AM
i use a reel attached to my speargun so after shooting a fish i can loosen the drag and fight the fish from the surface. you can also use a floatline attached to a speargun and fight the fish from the surface that way or just grab the fish and manhandle it.

i prefer a gun to a polespear but either one will work and i just use a standard tip with flopper.

njspearo
10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
yeah what fishhunter said.
99 percent of the time your either using a real or a float line made from polypropolene or dyneema surrounded with a plastic like material.
so now as long as you get a good holding shot or can judge how much preasure to apply. you can easily fight the fish to the surface and land it.
then one you get a hold on the fishes gills it will chill it out.
kinda like if you were to grab a human by the throat....same principal. then a knife in the head or tearing its kills out will subdue it.

overkillphil
11-01-2009, 08:50 PM
As far as tactics for lings, try tapping your gun on the rocks. Lings are curious, and will sometimes come out of their holes to see what the ruckus is all about. You can also shoot a rockfish (if you don't stone him) and leave him thrashing on your line, reload your spear, and wait for a ling to come EAT your rockfish.

ApneaAddict
11-02-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm a bit confused by the last part of your question. Are you asking how you'd bring a 30# ling to the surface immediately after you spear it? I mean, you're underwater. The thing might be 30 pounds dry, but its not like 30 pounds of lead, in the water it'll be more or less neutrally buoyant. Just hold on to it and swim for the surface. As far as what to do after that... well, with a 30pound fish, you'd need to either attach it to your kayak or dive board, or, if you don't have either of those, get out. There's no practical way to continue to dive in thick kelp with a 30# fish on you.

As far as technique for hunting lings- get yourself an underwater flashlight and keep it handy while diving. Look into deep caves and cracks. Aim for the head. If you're really seeing 30# lingcod, you definitely need a gun. Polespearing a fish like that would be crazy. Even with a good shot you'd probably just injure the fish and lose it. I would recommend a euro-style gun (Mako, Rob Allen, etc) in the 75-90 cm range (depending on how visibility tends to be where you dive- more vis= need a longer gun). And for a beginner, I think a floatline is a lot easier to deal with. Lingcod are going to tend to want to lodge themselves into caves after you shoot them. If you're really seeing 30 pound fish, you're going to want to make sure you have a clean shot at the fish so you can man-handle it out of whatever cave it swims into (or prevent it from swimming into one in the first place). So long as you aren't diving in water deeper you have line on your reel or floatline you should be OK because being the hole-type I don't think a lingcod is likely to make a long distance run.

I hope all that made sense, I'm only half awake. Best of luck and be sure to post if you have success. Oh yeah, and use the Search function at the top of the page and you'll get about 90% of your questions answered without needing to ask.

:beer:

Spudcote
11-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, sorry I havn't responded sooner...school bogging me down, got a bit of free time til exams to get my mind back where I like it.

Fishunter24 - I had come accross the reels before but we a lot of kelp where I'd be doing this and worried about it heading into it (lost far too many salmon to kelp on rod/reel than I care to remember). I guess one option would be to dive after it and cut it out eh ? I think I'll opt for a gun if I can find somewhere around here that sells spear-gear (havn't properly looked into it, but got some suspicious looks around dive shops here).

Overkillphil - I'll give it a shot, have had plenty of good ling attack other fish I've had online. Hooked a 9lb halibut (realized this when we got it to the surface) which took off straight down and then out, wrestled it to the surface thinking we had a decent hali, got it up realizeing a pair of 35lb ling had grabbed it and buggered off, managed to net one of them.

Apneaaddict - My question about getting it to the surface was aimed at how to actually get it to th surface after spearing on one breath. This is solved with the reel or float line it would appear. I was originally asking about how to get a 30lb THRASHING ling to the surface on one breath, unless you completely stun it on the initial shot. I'll be cutting ym teeth on smaller ones first hopefully. Was thinking of having a buoy nearby where I'm diving to warn boaters, and gives something to attach fish to.

Still working on it, but thanks again for the help.

mepps1
11-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, sorry I havn't responded sooner...school bogging me down, got a bit of free time til exams to get my mind back where I like it.

Fishunter24 - I had come accross the reels before but we a lot of kelp where I'd be doing this and worried about it heading into it (lost far too many salmon to kelp on rod/reel than I care to remember). I guess one option would be to dive after it and cut it out eh ? I think I'll opt for a gun if I can find somewhere around here that sells spear-gear (havn't properly looked into it, but got some suspicious looks around dive shops here).

Overkillphil - I'll give it a shot, have had plenty of good ling attack other fish I've had online. Hooked a 9lb halibut (realized this when we got it to the surface) which took off straight down and then out, wrestled it to the surface thinking we had a decent hali, got it up realizeing a pair of 35lb ling had grabbed it and buggered off, managed to net one of them.

Apneaaddict - My question about getting it to the surface was aimed at how to actually get it to th surface after spearing on one breath. This is solved with the reel or float line it would appear. I was originally asking about how to get a 30lb THRASHING ling to the surface on one breath, unless you completely stun it on the initial shot. I'll be cutting ym teeth on smaller ones first hopefully. Was thinking of having a buoy nearby where I'm diving to warn boaters, and gives something to attach fish to.

Still working on it, but thanks again for the help.

A typical dive shop is not the best place to buy a gun. Very few dive shops have much interest in or experience with spearing (especially in the NW). There is a lot more selection and info available online. I would second the recommendation of about a 75cm euro. Aimrite, Mako, etc. I wouldn't go much longer. It's easier to deal with a gun that's a little too short than it is one that's too long for vis and kelp, caves, rocks, etc.

Have fun!

Dawn Patrol
11-28-2009, 12:44 AM
A typical dive shop is not the best place to buy a gun. Very few dive shops have much interest in or experience with spearing (especially in the NW). There is a lot more selection and info available online. I would second the recommendation of about a 75cm euro. Aimrite, Mako, etc. I wouldn't go much longer. It's easier to deal with a gun that's a little too short than it is one that's too long for vis and kelp, caves, rocks, etc.

Have fun!

+1

I have hunted all over Vancouver Island, and the only place I found a SINGLE gun was Campbell River. The one they sold was about a 110cm Mares which was not exactly what you should be after.

Samik
01-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I use a 70cm or 90CM RA for ling (and everything else in BC waters). most of the ones I've found were deep, over 60'.

shoot them in the head, stick your arm through their gills and grab jaw and kick like hell for the surface. I like reel guns, but they get fouled quicky in our kelpy waters. floatlines are generally a pain in the ass unless I'm hunting very deep....

they are very easy to shoot, providing you can find them. sadly, from what I've seen, lingcod are becoming very scarce on the island...

this will get your hopes up. not me, but one of the other divers on our last Port Hardy Trip....

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs023.snc3/11070_100400126652138_100000464525888_9238_8208881 _n.jpg

jymz
01-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey Spud,

Pm me when you want to go and I can show you some of the basics and lend you some gear.

If you are hankering for a gun youve got a couple choices in Vancouver. The scuba shop in new westminster has a small pnumatic POS and 2 JBL POS guns, I think some used as well, total of 4 guns last time I was there. Keep in mind they will never sell them so offer low. Rownads Reef in Granville Island have a spear and a 90cm JBL POS, to top it off, the guy who owns the place is a total c*nt. So happy shopping there. The shop off broadway at Arbutus carrys sea hornet, he migth have some in store. While slightly better I would still suggest ordering a gun from Mako or RA or the like. Get a floatline while you are at it (even the chep float + nylon line for $50 is a great start). I've got a spear for sale but it's only usefull for rockfish around here.

Let me know when you are heading out, I'm available anytime and love to shoot fish. My persoanl setup for lings is a Mako 55 with reel or 75ft floatline with a bungee (in case monster Halibut sighted) and a Omer float.

pablo
01-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Beautiful ling Samik! I second the Rob Allen recommendation. I use a 70cm with reel 90% of the time and an 80cm with reel the rest of the time.

Samik
01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I find I'm bringing the 90cm out more and more. when you get a day with really good viz it gives you so many more options.

the Riffe #B came out a lot last season too. what a cannon!

Ron S
01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
I use a 70cm RA down here in NorCal most of the time, and picked up a 90cm RA for good vis days. I've always been fascinated by the diving up your way, but I was told that my with my RA and 7mm shaft, I'd be undergunned for the big lings up there. You guys ever bend shafts or lose lings using Rob Allens?
Thanks,
Ron.

Samik
01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
the one in the pic was 28lbs, biggest one our group has taken, that was an omer T20 75 with a 7mm shaft.

in all my diving here I've never felt under gunned with a 70 -90 euro with a 7mm shaft. there is no reason you shouldn't be shooting ling in the head, it's not like they move. they don't seem to hole up either, they just head for the abyss. a short 7mm shaft is pretty hard to bend, not much leverage there....

I pack the Riffe #B only incase I stumble on a flatty, other wise it's the the euro guns. with our limits you're usually shooting Rockfish and Greenling anyways. 1 Ling a day, 2 Possession on most of the coast.

As far as technique for hunting lings- get yourself an underwater flashlight and keep it handy while diving.

just read this in an above post. Don't get caught with a flashlight while spearfishing in BC. Illegal.

jymz
01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
just read this in an above post. Don't get caught with a flashlight while spearfishing in BC. Illegal.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?
Anyone interested in starting a group to lobby DFO and to expand and clarify spearing rules in BC? I find they are not quite up with the times. Spearing shrimp etc...

Samik
01-21-2010, 02:22 AM
yup. here are the regs:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/law-loi/restrictions-eng.htm (saltwater)

It Is Illegal to:

* use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing, except when they are submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/0911/fish-synopsis_2009-11_general.pdf (pg 9 freshwater)

It Is Illegal to:
Use a light in any manner to attract fish,
unless the light is submerged and attached
to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook.

now the discussions I had with the CO's went that Spearfishing is Sportfishing, it just uses a spear instead of a rod&line. so, whole can of worms later... best not to use a light while spearfishing.

Spudcote
01-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Whoops...didn't realize this thread came back to life...:sleep:

That would be awesome Jymz, unfortunately this term has started with a boom with intent to kick my ass...however, we do get a reading break in February, and are done exams in April sometime...would you still be around then ? I'm 99% sure I have locked down a job in Masset for the summer in the Queen Charlotte Islands and wouldn't mind doing a little swimming if I can swing some time off.

Seems to be a general consensus on a rail gun, either an RA or a Mako, and to maybe stay away from JBs. Also to go for a slightly shorter gun.

I guess I could have answered my own question with regards to getting a fish to the surface, its one tail versus my pair of large fins...no brainer unless you find yourself a big 'butt.

With regards to the other regulations that have been discussed, using a light and its proximity to a hook is entirely relating to halibut fihsing in deep water on a rod and reel...
and for collecting shrimp while diving, with a spear ?...come on guys...on a side note, anyone tried this ?...woulda thought the little bastards would just get blown in half...

Beauty fish Samik, one of these days...I'll get one...

jymz
01-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Spud,

Shrimp are detailed in the book. I mentioned it because it is ridiculous. I spear weekly. Im up Indian arm this week and Pender Island next, Sechelt the week after. Contimplating moving to Sechelt this spring for good. Anytime man.

As for the light, I have two and fish with both. I have been visited by the DFO while spearing with them in plain sight. I will continue to use my light. I highly doubt the attention of the DFO from using it. Seems to me it is attached to my mono less than a meter from my flopper. 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Samik
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
As for the light, I have two and fish with both. I have been visited by the DFO while spearing with them in plain sight. I will continue to use my light. I highly doubt the attention of the DFO from using it. Seems to me it is attached to my mono less than a meter from my flopper. 6 of one half dozen of the other.

I Have a guide license to think about, so can't risk getting an infraction. But I agree. Most of the time I'm stopped by Fishcops I have to show them in the regs where it says spearing is legal so they'll go away. I would think light regulations are not even in their heads

Spudcote: a group of us will be spearfishing QCI in September. if you want to hook up, you could play with a lot of gear before you buy. a couple of us have been spearfishing 15+ years, and the others over 5, great time to ask questions.

dive0saur
01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Wow I feel sorry for you guys up in BC. I can say that here in WA the regs are just as poor in defining what is legal for spearos. In the Puget Sound its god awful, no taking of rock fish other than lings and ling season is extremely short. You got to get to the Straits to be able to do any sort of fishing and it is only legal in this area bc it just doesn't say anything in the regs about it.. I've made several phone calls to WA department of fish and Wildlife and no one seems to have any answers to the ambiguous regs.

rwc
02-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Spud,
If you want to get a Rob Allen send Pablo a PM.

I'm sure we can find a way to get it up to you. Heck, my wife loves visiting Victoria. ;)