PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing near Newport/Lincoln City over Thanksgiving?

chowderpuff
11-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Hello there, going up to Oregon from southern California over Thanksgiving and wanted to get some spearing/crabbing/clamming time. Any current reports around Newport? Anyone? :)

winklecl
11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, we've been getting a lot of rain at the coast lately. Mostly in the far north of the state, but in the Newport area as well. Likely most of the bays are going to have very poor vis. I haven't seen for myself so this is just a guess. If you're hoping for getting into the ocean the swell has been in the 10-infinity+' range the last few weeks. You might be braver than I but I wouldn't touch that. In summary I would say don't hope for too much, but if the rain slows down you might find somewhere worth a dive.

Spearo Shawn
11-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I was diving and spearing in Newport over the weekend (21st and 22nd). The wind and rain on Saturday night took the vis down to about 2' on Sunday from the whopping 4' on Saturday (80mph winds seem to kick up the seas a bit...). after 1.5 hours free diving and 4 tanks of scuba I only saw one decent green ling that I would have speared, and didn't even get a shot off (I saw it while free diving). Always fun to get in the water though, and you may have better luck next weekend, I haven't seen the forecast.

Even a bad day of diving is better than the best day of work...

chowderpuff
11-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey thanks for the responses guys! Maybe I will stick to hook and line off the jetty during this week.