PDA

View Full Version : Dry snorkels?

steepNdeep
01-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Does anyone use them or recommend them? I bought a snorkel with a purge valve ~15 years ago, but it failed very quickly and I just taped in a pop cap in it's place. Have they improved or is the straight pipe the best? :beer:

Samik
01-31-2010, 08:42 PM
I stick to the strait pipe/j-tube

princess auto has a whole pile of dry snorkels for $20 when I was there friday... ;)

that is one deep-bodied carp in your profile pic!

OPIE
01-31-2010, 09:34 PM
I had one. and ended up giving it away after a few times. The problem is when you are breathing up if a wave goes over it... it seals up and cuts off your air while also letting in some water. I rather have to deal with a little water in my breathe than being completely cut off.

flspearin
01-31-2010, 09:50 PM
stick with the j, dry snorkels are just bulky and stupid

steepNdeep
01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Thx boys! Yeah, that's what I figured...

Samik - just gotta figure out how to replace that carp in the pic with snapper and pargo! Jonsin' for a trip...

Samik
01-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Samik - just gotta figure out how to replace that carp in the pic with snapper and pargo! Jonsin' for a trip...

been trying to get a trip like that together for a while now, name near impossible to get the local lads to have the same time off...

jymz
02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Snorkels are for surface swimming, take it out of your mouth on a dive. No need for valves, learn to love the gurgle heh

Slingingsteel
02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Are a waist of time.. The dry snorkels are a gimmick and will sometimes close up while you are breathing up also. I prefer a J snorkel cause they are simple and effective. Plus a lot less bulky and more streamlined. I have also had seaweed get in the enclosed purge valve one the bottom of the non-J snorkels and keep them stuck open constantly flooding the snorkel. Try that while breathing up...WTF :eek:

Dylan