PDA

View Full Version : What's with the diver-hate?

Samik
01-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Area 13

These waters are closed to the harvest of all marine life by divers for the preservation of unique underwater habitat: Discovery Passage, in the Campbell River area, bounded by a straight line from North Bluff on Quadra Island, across Seymour Narrows to a fishing boundary sign on Vancouver Island, and south by a line from the light on the end of the south Government Dock breakwater at Campbell River to Cape Mudge lighthouse.

Area 24

Pacific Rim National Park Reserve
Portions of Areas 20-24, 121, 123 and 124: All tidal waters within the park are closed to scuba and skin diving for all species, all year.

so it's legal for the rod and reel guys, but not divers... WTF?

time for some grumpy phone calls.....

steepNdeep
01-31-2010, 09:18 PM
That blows and it only seems to be getting worse! All 10 BC spearo's need to for a lobby group. lol

I spent some energy this summer talking to bio's and co's about teh possibility of opening a pike season, where they are starting to invade world-class trout waters... After going around in circles a few times, instead of a preventative plan they stuck to their reactionary mantra... I said "your wait and see planning approach has sure worked for controlling wolves in BC..." :bang:

Samik
01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
they took Bass, Pike, and Perch off the invasive species list this year. so now we can't spear them and there is a catch limit. sad to say but our fish & game department keeps getting more and more impotent.

I would have no problem if they closed waters in the name of conservation, but it has to be a full closure, not selective one group.

mrflea
04-06-2010, 09:15 PM
If you do end up on Vancouver Island, it might be worth the drive to hit Port Hardy up north. I think youre allowed to spear the rockfish and stuff there, as long as you steer clear of the conservation areas.

Then again, all of my info is last summer's.

Samik
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
If you do end up on Vancouver Island, it might be worth the drive to hit Port Hardy up north. I think you're allowed to spear the rockfish and stuff there, as long as you steer clear of the conservation areas.

Then again, all of my info is last summer's.

I dive port hardy quite a bit. they have been extending the winter closures more and more. be very diligent if you're spearfishing up there, know your regs! rockfish & ling were closed when I as there end of Feb this year...