PDA

View Full Version : No license required for bow hunting in MA?

hyeparis
02-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi, guys.
Since the fishing over is yet to start, I have decided to explore what it takes to try bow hunting. Here is what I have found in the MA regs. Does that mean I don't need to buy any special license to hunt with a bow?
ARCHERY: "An FID (Firearms Identification Card) or LTC (A License To Carry) card is not required for bow hunting. Archers, while hunting deer, shall not possess firearms on their person or use dogs... Archers may hunt with a bow and arrow during the shotgun season and muzzleloader season but must comply with the shotgun or muzzleloader season regulations."
So I just buy a permit as shotgun hunters do for hunting specific species and that's it? If so, I will inquire whether a foreigner can do that.
What do you think?

jackpine savage
02-04-2010, 09:00 PM
You will need a hunting license. Here is a link to the different types.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/licensing/license_fees.htm
I would think you would be eligible for the non resident/alien but I am just guessing you have either a work visa or are a legal resident.

wineyarders
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
You'll have plenty of time to practice. Scouting's also good this time of year.

SpanishSpear
02-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi, guys.
Since the fishing over is yet to start, I have decided to explore what it takes to try bow hunting. Here is what I have found in the MA regs. Does that mean I don't need to buy any special license to hunt with a bow?
ARCHERY: "An FID (Firearms Identification Card) or LTC (A License To Carry) card is not required for bow hunting. Archers, while hunting deer, shall not possess firearms on their person or use dogs... Archers may hunt with a bow and arrow during the shotgun season and muzzleloader season but must comply with the shotgun or muzzleloader season regulations."
So I just buy a permit as shotgun hunters do for hunting specific species and that's it? If so, I will inquire whether a foreigner can do that.
What do you think?

I dont know how it is in MA but i can tell you in CT as long as you are a legal resident. you do the hunters safety course to obtain your hunting license and then there is a bowhunters safety course also to get that license, again MA might be different, they are tipically a 1 or 2 day course put out by the state DEP, or whatever they call them in MA, wich once you receive the certificate you can get your license at many locations, such as cabelas bass pro and many local sporting good stores.
there is also specie tags that you are required to get, ie. deer tags, turkey tags, duck stamps....
you only have to do these courses once then every year you can just renew the license and tags...
hope this helps
Cheers!!!

Muzzy
02-04-2010, 09:19 PM
I dont know how it is in MA but i can tell you in CT as long as you are a legal resident. you do the hunters safety course to obtain your hunting license and then there is a bowhunters safety course also to get that license, again MA might be different, they are tipically a 1 or 2 day course put out by the state DEP, or whatever they call them in MA, wich once you receive the certificate you can get your license at many locations, such as cabelas bass pro and many local sporting good stores.
there is also specie tags that you are required to get, ie. deer tags, turkey tags, duck stamps....
you only have to do these courses once then every year you can just renew the license and tags...
hope this helps
Cheers!!!

THE SPANISHSPEAR is correct, this is the same for the State of RI.

jackpine savage
02-04-2010, 09:19 PM
hope this helps
Cheers!!!

Thanks, its the same in MA. Hyparis, you can find info on the classes on through the link I posted.

wineyarders
02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Maybe of interest but blackpowder doesn't require FID either.

hyeparis
02-05-2010, 11:34 PM
This is all very useful! Thank you, guys!
PS And blackpowder is also a very interesting option!

erk
02-06-2010, 08:41 AM
hyeparis did you get a bow yet.if you want to try some i have a few long bows and one compound you can try.
erk

hyeparis
02-06-2010, 12:51 PM
No, I have not!
This year I think I can afford buying one, but before I need to ascertain whether it is legal and how to go about it.

jonahtribe2
02-06-2010, 03:58 PM
hyperparis,
head down to middleboro (my home) and check out "reedy's archery". huge pro shop and great bunch of guys. they have lanes so you can try different bows and setups. dont need any type of licsense to purchase bow. about 35 min. from boston. also you do need FID card to purchase blackpowder cans or substitute and bullets. i couldn't even get lead roundballs without FID card

Joespear
02-19-2010, 08:24 PM
You have to show a hunting license from another state [w/i last 5 yrs] and you have to show a bowhunter safety course cert. Similar w shotguns. You also need to buy a hunting lic. and an archery and or prim. firearm stamp. There is also a 'voluntary' land purchase thingy. $5 bucks. Get it early and make sure you apply for an anterless tag by July 15th. You can take two bucks w just a hunting license and anterless tags are drawn. I had 4 tags last year. [I got skunked :mad:] Turkey tag, $5 bucks. Its well worth it and certainly the best time to hunt. Bows are lots of fun. Reedy's is tops for info and gear!