Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Len Jones - South Africa Diver, Artist and Author (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=195408)

florfreediver 11-24-2017 09:54 AM

Len Jones - South Africa Diver, Artist and Author

By pure accident I picked up the apparent news that Len Jones passed away in January of this year :>(

It was in an article by a blog in FOD (Friends of Durban)

It is nearly a year ago but, as I could not find a link to this incident on SB, thought it worth mentioning.

Does anyone have any details on Len's passing away?
I imagine that we he was in his late 70's by now.
I am trusting and hoping he passed with Jessica and family by his bedside.

I am sure a lot of the older spearos on SB will have come across his books and articles. I personally have two of the limited edition bronzes made by Len. One is of a marlin and the other of a hard hat diver.

To South Africans and others around the world he was a legend and ambassador in his passion for both fishing and diving.

Rest peacefully Len.

Mike.

SpearMax 11-24-2017 02:30 PM

Re: Len Jones - South Africa Diver, Artist and Author

Quote:

Originally Posted by florfreediver (Post 2157080)
To South Africans and others around the world he was a legend and ambassador in his passion for both fishing and diving.

Rest peacefully Len.

Mike.

Mike, sorry to hear about Len's passing. He truly is a legend. I have some of his books.

May Len rest in eternal peace.

Tony

westpalmspearo 11-29-2017 06:14 AM

Sorry to hear it Mike, I enjoyed his books

florfreediver 11-29-2017 09:23 AM

Thanks Tony & Patrick.

I have been in touch with the Dive Factory (Rob & Jeremy) as they were close to the Jones family.

Len's wife Jessica (mentioned in several of Len's books) was also a contributor in assisting the South African Underwater Union. Jessica was Spearfishing Records Keeper for many years.

Regards,
Mike.

popgun pete 01-15-2019 02:41 PM

Len will live on through his spearfishing books as nearly everyone has a copy of one of them.

florfreediver 01-15-2019 04:04 PM

One of the stories not mentioned in the books:

Whilst I was at Durban Fire Station, doing my yearly stint of RSA military training (Defense Corp) I was told that Len used to regularly fill up one of the wash hand basins and practice his breath hold by sticking his head in the basin.

Len was a fireman for a while and this story, amongst others, was told of him.

Mike.