Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic States (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Sheepshead (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=193842)

Ric 06-09-2017 08:38 AM

Sheepshead

When is it open for Sheepshead in NJ?
I saw many, some with good size, but nor Watermocassin or I, could say if it was open so we were good boys and didn't shoot.
I'll post a video soon about it.

Ric 06-09-2017 01:30 PM

Re: Sheepshead

" I think the size is ..." 15 inches, like for Tautog ?

TriggerNJ 06-09-2017 07:06 PM

NJ doesn't have sheepshead regulations. Go get them:gun:

I didn't see any in the video though

Jersey Jim 06-09-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ric (Post 2143312)
When is it open for Sheepshead in NJ?

De, MD & NJ don't have any possession limits. They're my "new Tog"!!

That was some good vis, for so close to land. Thanks for taking the time to edit/post that.

jersymudsniper 06-09-2017 07:35 PM

I think you were lookn at some tog with striped markings maybe.

Jersey Jim 06-09-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jersymudsniper (Post 2143395)

Hey John:
You still workin those crazy hours? We never got together late last season, but am taking off Mon & Tue this week. Plan to dive both days, conditions permitting. Hopefully you still have my number.

jersymudsniper 06-09-2017 08:03 PM

I got it buddy. Yup crazy hrs. Almost round the clock. Sitting waiting for george washington bridge lower level closure so i can work all nite after working all day lol. Tryn to get out sunday but wind looks shitty.

Ric 06-09-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jersymudsniper (Post 2143395)

Yes the video is not very good but that the best I can do with this camera. I'll try to extract some still, uncompressed, pictures with better resolution. You'll tell me what are these ' striped togs'.

TriggerNJ 06-09-2017 09:57 PM

Tog can vary quite a bit but female and juvenile male Tog often have really distinct dark bars down their sides. Porgies also look like Sheepshead and can have barring as well. Porgies can have really distinct bars particularly when they are resting. Not saying what your seeing isn't Sheepshead. I just couldn't see them in video. Your certainly in the right spot for them.

Ric 06-10-2017 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriggerNJ (Post 2143408)
Tog can vary quite a bit but female and juvenile male Tog often have really distinct dark bars down their sides. Porgies also look like Sheepshead and can have barring as well. Porgies can have really distinct bars particularly when they are resting. Not saying what your seeing isn't Sheepshead. I just couldn't see them in video. Your certainly in the right spot for them.

Indeed the link in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archos...robatocephalus shows a picture of a Sheepshead that is flatter, narrower than those I've seen I believe.

What do you think Watermocassin, did we see Sheepsheads or Striped Togs ?

Ric 06-10-2017 09:22 AM

I watched the original clips and you are right, they were probably just striped Togs.

Perhaps this new striped robe is a better camouflage with this sort of new light brown algea that is growing on the rocks at about 10-20ft deep, and that was absent of the rocks last April.

TriggerNJ 06-10-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

I watched the original clips and you are right, they were probably just striped Togs.

Perhaps this new striped robe is a better camouflage with this sort of new light brown algea that is growing on the rocks at about 10-20ft deep, and that was absent of the rocks last April.
Tog vary quite a bit and juvenile Tog are really good at matching their surroundings. I used to keep them in in fishtanks when I was younger and it's pretty wild how much they can change color to match what they are hanging out on. Most people are surprised to find out that the tiny little lime green fish they catch occasionally while seining for bait are actually baby Tog.

Ric 06-10-2017 11:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
some extracted pictures photoshoped to boost the Red

TriggerNJ 06-10-2017 02:02 PM

Yeah, all juvenile Tog. Sheepshead will have distinctly different profile.

ImpalaSSpeed96 06-12-2017 08:19 PM

They don't swim the same either... Sheepshead tend to dart around a lot faster. They're very distinct looking. Those stripes really stick out, even in dirty water.