Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Wetsuit chest pad (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=196350)

Fox55 04-09-2018 07:47 PM

Wetsuit chest pad

Has anybody reinforced their chest of their wetsuit to keep it from tearing while loading their speargun. My three mm is shredding. Help

Marcus 04-09-2018 07:51 PM

Re: Wetsuit chest pad

You need to hot glue a mouse pad to your chest before putting on the wet suit. :whistle:

jfjf 04-09-2018 08:08 PM

A neoprene mouse pad would be better than nothing. If you don't have real wetsuit glue, you can probably get away with some shoe goo from home depot.

SEATUX 04-09-2018 08:39 PM

A neoprene mouse pad would be a decent DIY fix, but dont use shoe goo, it gets hard and has no stretch. You should be able to find wetsuit glue ( neoprene cement) at your local dive shop. Your going to have to mark out the area on the suit and put several layers of glue down to prime the nylon exterior of the suit ( assuming your suit isn't skin out) only glue around the edge, not the entire area. You may luck out on the pad, some are nylon on the top only and bare neoprene on the bottom to prevent slipping / sliding around, that bare neo will only need one layer of glue, no priming. Aqua seal is another adhesive, but be sure to use lots of the hardener ( cotel) more than they say, it not only makes it dry faster, but the more hardener you use the more flexable the dried glue is. Another way is to just hand stitch it on.
A word of caution, don't go too large with the pad, a mouse pad doesn't stretch like you suit and you will see the difference in how the suit is tighter thru the chest.

Fox55 04-10-2018 08:07 AM

Well then wouldn't a piece of actual neoprene from the fabric shop be better then a mouse pad

SEATUX 04-10-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox55 (Post 2165460)
Well then wouldn't a piece of actual neoprene from the fabric shop be better then a mouse pad

Fabric shop?

The mouse pad is much more dense, which would add padding, but reduce stretch. But you didnt ask for padding, you said the thin suit is being torn apart, so yes, a piece of neoprene would be best.
Please tell me, is the suit "skin in" or "skin out" ?

Fox55 04-10-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEATUX (Post 2165493)
Fabric shop?

The mouse pad is much more dense, which would add padding, but reduce stretch. But you didnt ask for padding, you said the thin suit is being torn apart, so yes, a piece of neoprene would be best.
Please tell me, is the suit "skin in" or "skin out" ?

I believe skin out.

SEATUX 04-10-2018 12:21 PM

Skin out, or skin in..as long as one side of the suit is skin. Cut the "chest pad" material the size you want and glue the skin side of the pad to the skin side of the suit ( the pad would be on the outside of the suit if it is a skin out suit, or the inside if the suit is skin in), using neoprene cement, one layer of glue on the suit and one layer on the pad is enough. Now let the glue "flash off" or not be wet/sticky to the touch. Align the two pieces and PRESS together REAL GOOD! Presto..your done!
The question is what material do you have available for the pad? What is "a fabric shop"?
Thickness of the pad? Up to you.

Edit;
using real wetsuit neoprene ( and neoprene cement) you would glue the entire area of contact, not just around the edges

Fox55 04-10-2018 01:01 PM

Michaels Jo-Ann Fabrics any store that carries sewing material ask your grandma that's what I did

SEATUX 04-10-2018 01:46 PM

I'm no stranger two either of those stores...but was unaware that they sold neoprene with fabric bonded to it ( like in wetsuit material) interesting.
Good luck with your loading pad, show us how it turned out.