Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Florida East Coast Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spearfishing Offshore Jax - Video (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=131784)

tbcullen 08-28-2011 05:09 PM

Spearfishing Offshore Jax - Video

A couple videos from a week ago. Maybe the last of the great vis at least for awhile. AJs and grouper in the 1st video - also had a large ray swim over my head that I never saw until I reviewed the video. More of the endangered red snapper in the second video.

Offshore Jax AJ/Grouper - YouTube
What snapper? - YouTube

bdeep 08-28-2011 05:31 PM

Re: Spearfishing Offshore Jax - Video

Cool, that wreck looks awesome

seadogger 08-28-2011 06:15 PM

Neat videos but curious......Is there a real need to brain flounder ?? they really don't put up much of a fight... Just sayin.:beer:

Tyson Brown 08-28-2011 07:04 PM

Nice shot on the AJ!

Tyson Brown 08-28-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadogger (Post 1512872)
Neat videos but curious......Is there a real need to brain flounder ?? they really don't put up much of a fight... Just sayin.:beer:

It helps keep them from swimming off your stringer (2:40), or from swimming away after they fall off your stringer while you're wrestling the one that already got off your stringer once...

Nice flounder-jabbing! never seen that, but makes sense. Why waste air reloading your gun?

And for the confused, we're referring to one of his videos that comes up after you play the ones linked here.

ameliahunter 08-28-2011 08:19 PM

nice videos...felt like I was there thanks

Megabeast 08-29-2011 01:37 AM

Sweet vids. What was that wreck in the first video? I didn't recognize it. That was a ton of snapper on the 200' barge!

Tyson Brown 08-29-2011 01:56 AM

I was curious why you carried the polespear along with the gun, and then I saw you use it to shoot a mangrove under a "ledge." Do you frequently use your polespear on gun shooting trips? Is that why you have it - for shooting in close quarters? Or do you carry it for other reasons?

Thanks

fljgilner 08-29-2011 03:51 AM

are those public numbers? or private?

seadogger 08-29-2011 06:13 AM

You need to be careful using your KOAH for stabbing flounder. My buddy used his Deathstick, which is very simular on a big flounder. He stabbed it, the shaft never came out of the gun and the flounder thrashed around alot and splintered the end of his gun !! Biller guns work pretty good for stabbing if you dont have a pole spear with you.

Megabeast 08-29-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fljgilner (Post 1513203)
are those public numbers? or private?

The one with all the snapper is public. TW 200' Barge.

troutdiggler 08-29-2011 07:48 AM

I dove that barge in march and waylaid the flounders! Nice video, that is the way to take care of amberjacks! I don't even shoot them due to the fight that usually ensues:thumps:

Megabeast 08-29-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutdiggler (Post 1513223)
I dove that barge in march and waylaid the flounders! Nice video, that is the way to take care of amberjacks! I don't even shoot them due to the fight that usually ensues:thumps:

The grouper are in the little broke off spot at the end... if you take your BC/tank off you can get way back up in there.

100days-a-year 08-29-2011 10:04 AM

Shhhh Tommy:p,learning is priceless.Nice vids.

BTW no need for a gun or polespear for flounder.Seen a guy older than me absolutely waylay them with just a 3'stainless rod and cable,he slides them up the rod and uses the cable as a stringer.By waylay I mean no one needed to dive for them that day after his first dive,5 guys on the boat.

Megabeast 08-29-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100days-a-year (Post 1513272)
Shhhh Tommy:p,learning is priceless.Nice vids.

BTW no need for a gun or polespear for flounder.Seen a guy older than me absolutely waylay them with just a 3'stainless rod and cable,he slides them up the rod and uses the cable as a stringer.By waylay I mean no one needed to dive for them that day after his first dive,5 guys on the boat.

They won't do it anyway... they've got weight integrated bc's. I've seen so many monster fish way up in the wrecks this year I'm giving serious consideration to donning the 6 foot hose.

I know the flounder man you speak of. :) Pulling that thing in the boat with all those fish on it was... interesting. It worked so good, but I don't think I'd want to drag that rig around with me underwater. I'm a 'take less shit' type of diver. I usually gig/freeshaft flounder.

Tony... do you know which wreck that was in the first video? I'm still wondering about that one.