Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256)
-   -   The Purpose of the Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=138629)

SpearMax 01-04-2012 01:49 AM

The Purpose of the Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science Forum

I created a new forum to enable more concentrated focus and emphasis on the important subject of invasive exotice species on the future of water-based resources that are the venue for our sport.

The lionfish invasion has been foremost in this thought process, but many other species are important as well. Spearfishers can help in observations and sometimes in direct population control, as well as in assistance with scientific research and data gathering.

A very good resource link for invasive exotic species information is the following:

http://www.invasive.org/

Especially check out their listings of invasive fish and crustaceans here:

http://www.invasive.org/species.cfm

Louis Rossignol 01-05-2012 08:25 AM

Re: The Purpose of the Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science Forum

Hey Tony, last week I saw several Lionfish on certain oil rigs off our coast. But I just leave them alone. I can't help it, but I feel like the agency has been screwing me so much that I'm not going to lift a finger to help them.

The way I see it, divers are the only way to curb the Lionfish explosion. But there's no reason for me to go out there when red snapper is closed, gag grouper is closed and amberjack is closed.

If we are going to volunteer our time, fuel, money, etc. somebody is going to have to make it worthwhile, such as opening up the seasons I mentioned above, year round and some kind of bounty on the Lionfish I bring back.

SpearMax 01-05-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Rossignol (Post 1589110)
Hey Tony, last week I saw several Lionfish on certain oil rigs off our coast. But I just leave them alone. I can't help it, but I feel like the agency has been screwing me so much that I'm not going to lift a finger to help them.

The way I see it, divers are the only way to curb the Lionfish explosion. But there's no reason for me to go out there when red snapper is closed, gag grouper is closed and amberjack is closed.

If we are going to volunteer our time, fuel, money, etc. somebody is going to have to make it worthwhile, such as opening up the seasons I mentioned above, year round and some kind of bounty on the Lionfish I bring back.

I understand how you feel about that Louis. Restrictions on grouper, AJ and Snapper are hard to bear. Likewise, after seeing so many lionfish on the new Jupiter Helldiver Airplane wreck in 185 feet last week and in other deep places I go, I want to throw up my arms in realizing the futility of trying to kill them. But, in certain local areas, efforts like Lionfish Derbys may help that particular area. We can try to be part of the solution and look good in the eyes of regulators and scientists or just ignore it. I know personally that the Florida FWC Commissioners have been more positive towards spearfishers because they see our usefulness in the Lionfish battle. At the meeting I went to in Weston last year, a couple of the commissioners said so to me directly at the break times. Cleaning a few dozen or hundred lionfish off an oil rig and letting the powers that be know about it might be well-received. Tony :)

Louis Rossignol 01-05-2012 09:09 AM

The Gulf Council has been playing hardball with us for the last 25+ years. Shutting down our fisheries and limiting our catch all in the advancement of Enironmental Defense. All the while doing so with this smug attitude like their shit doesn't stink.

As for the divers I reach out to on a regular basis, I don't care about looking good. If they want our/my help, demands are going to have to met.

You have shown the FWC how effective divers can be in Lionfish removal, now let's use it to our advantage.

snapperboy 11-13-2013 06:58 AM

Louis:
It would seem that with all the money some of these envrionmental groups are being given for this lionfish problem that some could be set aside for a bounty system, like the nutra rats in your state. Presently, REEF is asking for $630,000 in BP money for lionfish eradication according to a recent article in the Key West Citizen http://keysnews.com/node/50768
The eradication will most likely be done with volunteers. So, where is all the money going?

Biminibill 11-13-2013 09:18 AM

Currently there is NO meaningful or effective solution to the lion fish problem and the people asking for huge grants or other such funding sources claiming that they can make a difference are little more than charlatans.

So Laddie and his group want $630K....to do what? Teach people to shoot lion fish?, handle them? What? Even using the money for a bounty system with a price of one dollar the take would be 630,000 lion fish which is nothing in the scheme of things. The fact that mathematically 630,000 individual lion fish is statistically undetectable against how many are out there and that they would be replaced in a matter of days shows that putting forth the bullshit that a bunch of divers with spears can make a difference is a money making scheme and nothing more.

As a lifelong diver, a former commercial tropical fish collector with 30 years experience and someone with at least an ounce of common sense I'm extremely skeptical that any manmade solution will ever be found. In the end nature will have to solve this by establishing a new balance between the lionfish and the other species that live in the Atlantic and Caribbean. Right now the vast majority of specimens in almost every Atlantic species have no natural fear of lionfish and sit there clueless as the little bastards swim up and eat them. Still, a very small percentage already know to run away and they are the ones who will survive. In time species will adapt thorough natural selection to produce new generations that are genetically predisposed to avoid lionfish. It will take a long time in human terms and seeing the damage lionfish are doing right now makes it hard not to try to do [i]something[i] even if it's complete futility which, so far, it is. I was diving on the Wood Cay wall two weeks ago on a spot my late wife and I loved and frequented 25 years ago. In those days it was rich and alive with the wall heavily dotted with the beautiful gramma species known as the blackcap. On a single dive we would see thousands from tiny juveniles to adults. After 25 years I dropped down there a few days ago and was instantly depressed at the lack of blackcaps, grammas, Pygmy angels, butterflies everything and scattered along we're fat, ugly lionfish. I was happy my wife never saw it this way. Still, there were 5 blackcaps and a smattering of the other species that once were thick on the wall. Those few represent our hopes for the future and they are the only solution.

IF there is a manmade solution, and that's a big and unlikely if, it will be biological and found in the laboratory, not at the end of a pole spear. There are so many better ways to spend money and effort on cleaning up the environment than the lie that is physical removal of lionfish. Don't give any of these people a damned cent.

snapperboy 11-13-2013 11:28 AM

This lionfish business has got me thinking. I am planning on starting a lawn and yard care service here in Key West. I don't have any lawnmowers, chain saws or even employees yet, but I figure I will not need to invest in equipment or employees because I will work with volunteers, donating their time and equipment, sort of like the lionfish deal.
Don't laugh, there is big money to be made here. I can charge the land owner for services provided by my volunteers using their own equipment, and I keep all the money!
If I am feeling generous I may print up some t-shirts saying "Snapperboy's Volunteers" to give away as prizes for those that work the hardest.

100days-a-year 11-13-2013 11:31 AM

I see enough just in the areas I dive to conclude humans can only make a localized and temporary change.I haven't seen the reduction in small species or fry probably because of the enormous amount of of baby vermillions and cigar minnows we have up here.The last trip I noticed baby vermillions and some goatfish spit up by the lions we got.

I agree pissing money away won't help.

snapperboy 11-13-2013 11:49 AM

100 days-a-year:
I agree with your comments above, pissing money away is not going to help the problem with lionfish.
I am considering offering franchises for my volunteer lawn and yard care service. If you are interested in opening up a branch let me know and I will help you get started, for a small percentage of the profits, of course.

Paul260 12-14-2015 12:10 PM

You can sell lionfish for $5.00 per pound. The bounty is set by the fish market. Open your mind a bit. Lionfish eat juvenile commercially important species. Kill lions and make money and help your interests in fish stocks that you care more about. Wake up! I've been selling them for a year now and it's fun killing loads of lionfish. Plus they taste great.