View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
heybuddies

Re: Moving to Gainesville area

I've lived in FL my entire life and owned boats for 25+ years. For what it's worth, if you have to buy a boat and a reliable truck to tow it, by the time you pay for everything - boat/motor/trailer maintenance and gas - you are probably better off networking if you will only be here for a few years.

There is a saying that the best day of owning a boat is the day you sell it. I obviously don't agree but the point being that many people underestimate the work and money to own one (unless you are buying new under warranty).

My two cents:
1. Get dive certified so others can trust your commitment to safety.
2. Meet some folks on the forums. When you get an invitation, take extra care to be a great mate. Show up at the dock early. Bring ice and drinks for others, pull up the anchor all day, clean the boat, and pay more than your fair share of fuel. Remember how much you are saving on a truck payment, boat payment, and a lot of gas on both.
3. Boat owners are good people who will help you catch a ride with their friends, IF you earn it.
4. Try to get into a spearfishing club in the area of your network. If you do 1-3 above, you will get in and find plenty of rides with experienced spearos.

Remember there are a lot of people who don't have boats. Be respectful, helpful and generous and you will stand out from a lot of others who will not get invited back.

Good luck!
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote