View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
toptuna

Re: PNW tips thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
We are off and running. I can smell the royalties already. Next we will be on Oprah.

1. You have got to have a flashlight. I use an intova, but U/K is good, as are others - be sure to spent the extra money on an LED bulb model. Batteries last a lot longer and they don't burn out. Most of the time Lings and Cabezon are hiding in holes digesting what they ate, and without a light you cannot see them. Get one with an easy BIG on/off switch that you can manipulate through 7mm gloves. A lot of big fish are shot in very dark holes.

2. PAY ATTENTION to current and surge when around holes/structure. You can get blown into a hole and stuck there permanently. Not good. Think and assess first, and approach holes carefully.

3. Always wear two knives in different locations on your body. PNW fishing line is no joke, and you need a way to cut free even if you blow it and drop one knife. I carry a fish killer in my left arm and a larger knife on the inside of my calf. Only ever had to use one - yet.

4. When you shoot a rock fish first, don't stone it. The more wiggle and thrashing about the better for attracting lings and cabs. Shoot it in the middle. And remember, it is part of you limit. You gotta eat it.

5. Buy a grinder. They call them rockfish for a reason - they live around rocks - and rocks are hard on spear points. Spear points are hard - and hard to file. Ergo, get a grinder. A file is a joke.
Oprah is over with. Maybe Montel lol.