View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 03:07 AM   #15
spearq8

Re: Thoughts on Abellan Albacore 130 vs Bleutec Oceanborn 125 & King Cobra

The OB 125 is a very nice gun and if compared with a Denton 120 (with 132 band stretch) it would be a very hard choice and I would probably go with the OB 125 ... especially now that it has the trigger fixed. That gun is deadly accurate! The additional power you can add is also very useful if using an 8mm shaft, and it really swings beautifully. If using only 2 bands, it would a much more difficult choice. The OB 125 is actually only about 6 cm or 2 inches smaller than the Albcore 130 (if you measure with full metal cage on the A130) ... but the OB 145, that is just a huge gun. I actually had planned to buy the OB 145 but to be honest, that gun had just way too much recoil for me to shoot comfortably. If I remember correctly it had around 155cm of band stretch !!! With a 180cm @ 8.5mm shaft and 3 or 4 hot bands ... that is a ton of recoil and you really need to be careful. I also don't like the fact that the palm to trigger finger is a whopping 73mm ... I wear large gloves and for me to be able to put my palm properly over the handle I need about 58mm to 60mm. With 73mm I would be really setting my wrist up to get busted ... and if my thumb is not able to hold on to that gun ... it is going to go straight back into your face. So unless you have really long fingers that gun is going to be brutal if shooting one handed without modifying the handle. Maybe that gun should only be shot at full power with 2 hands ... similar to a mid handle. I would have attempted a handle mod but the stock is CF and I really don't like the idea of removing CF from the handle as that might affect the structural integrity of the handle. With that much power this could be dangerous. So between the Albacore 130 and the OB 145 I would go with the AB 130 as it is very controllable even one handed (trigger to palm distance only 58mm). The Albacore 130 with a good setup has plenty of power for any fish on planet earth ... that power is also very controlled and has very high accuracy. If someone is not able to land a big fish with a properly setup AB 130, I would not blame the gun.

As for exchanging the trigger ... I am actually also very interested in that. If it identical size with identical pin slots ... my guess is you just cut off the line release with a dremel and punch out the side slot pins and you put in the new trigger. Would be a very useful upgrade. I actually have quite a few OB guns and would like to change triggers on them. One of the things I disliked with the old trigger is that there is no way to remove the trigger and clean it as the line release is welded on over the CF. Also whoever did the welding did not purge properly with Argon gas and thus the weld is contaminated and introduces rust to the trigger. If you could remove that trigger then it would be less of a problem ... but as it is ... you can't do much.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote