View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
jfjf

Re: Mitigating Risk For Complete Noob

I'm glad you are looking for advice and trying to be safe. I know that the 60 second guide line has been promoted by some respected people, but I personally place very little value in it.

I've been freediving for a long time. In some situations and for some people a one minute dive is ridiculously conservative.

To put things in perspective, a lot of my hunting dives are less than 45 seconds - kinda weak really.

It is supper important that you understand that predive rest and condition are much more important than dive time.

Similarly, your activity level during the dive is also more important than an arbitrary total dive time.

If you are cold, tired, and working to hold position over a dive site in a current and then you dive with too little surface rest and follow that up with a wrestling match with a fish... 50 seconds could easily be too long for many people, myself included.

Rest time on the surface between dives and elapsed dive time ARE important parameters, but they aren't everything.

Don't make the false assumption that a 55 second dive is safe! Especially for something as variable as spearfishing.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote