View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver
Re: Current Vis Islamorada 73MM - Key Largo 106MM

A bit of an overlap, also posted in the Big Pine to Layton Section.

Was out today for work with a research group. Stayed nearshore (no more than 3 miles from land, and all patch reefs.

Started off Lower Matecumbe at an inshore (non spearable) spot.

Water temp 62.9, vis was all right 20-30'. Could make out bottom in about 20', but the researchers said it was a little hazy and green.

Headed to Marker 44 (out in front of Channel 5 bridge). Temp was about the same, around 63-64. Vis was surprisingly good for hawks channel and in front of the bridge, with the wind we've been having. Maybe 20-25' or so.

Last spot was just off of Grassy Key (just south of Long Key Bridge). Water temp was about 65 (we were a little further out). Vis was much better, easily 30' and much clearer. Could make out the stickers on the tanks of the divers below me in 25'.

Seas were bouncy in shore...maybe 1' and choppy. The spot off grassy was pretty rough. Definitely 3' with the occasional 3-4' swell. Wasn't bad in the 25' Parker we run, not the best for freediving though.

All day I could see the beginnings of the blue water. It looks like it's getting pushed in as the winds shift back NE to E. Not sure how clear it is, but it sure looked nice. The swells were easily distinguishable on the horizon though. Hopefully the wind dies some for the weekend.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote