View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Re: GoPro Hero vs Liquid Image Mask

An intergrated camera-mask restricts user from using the camera on land.
That is a waste. If you have a small camera like a GoPro, you can do so much more with it on land than in water actually. Its a go anywhere, do anything camera.

Liquid's mask is NOT a great quality mask, if you already own a great quality mask, you will know what I mean. One example of a quality mask is Riffe, that is Gull of Japan the OEM. Hard to fine a silicone skirt smoother on a face than this product.

Faces fitting Liquid shape of skirt or not , is personal shape of user's face , so no comment on this one.

The depth rating of 130 feet is too shallow if you are a scuba hunter and too shallow for some very good freedivers.

OP was asking a Liquid 720p HD model.
The GoPro HD1 is a 720p/960p/1080p US$250 or so
127 degrees at 1080p
170 degrees at 720p
FLAT LENS HOUSING NOT INCLUDED

The new HD2 will be able to do 720p at 127 degrees with later software and already can do 90/127/170 degrees at 1080p now.

Liquid's new 1080p retails at US$399 , for US$300 you get a GoPro HD2 Outdoor ( head strap in package ) and its soon to come US$50 Flat lens housing and add US$80 on top of that, you get an LCD BacPac which has extra doors so you can dive with it as a handheld all for US$430 + tripod mount + a CamGrip...cheap cheap stuff.

If using UW camera as handheld, LCD BacPac is a good item to have, unless you know the camera aiming ( need practice) , then an LCD is not important.

Video to video 720p Liquid model as pointed out by OP, compared to a GoPro HD1 , far better a GoPro. I have both so I know. 1 dive with Liquid 720p at low viz of 3 meters , for me is enough to retire it. No experience with Liquid 1080p.

The Tom, Dick and Harry made a smart choice going for a GoPro that's all.

You can't mount Liquid on a speargun.
You can't give/pass a Liquid in a dive situation to a friend to video you

One last most important fact for a head mounted camera, no matter what brand.........your viewer will puke watching it in no time. The way hunter scan the horizon, on TV that footage will cause headache. Takes practice to remember you got a camera on your head when scanning. Do it very slow and it will be OK. Do it like you do now aka scanning for fish like a car's wiper, the only footage use-able will be some seconds when you are actually concentrating on the fish, that is when you are about to pull the trigger.