Thread: WC update
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
dennishaussler

Re: WC update

You know what they say about "what a difference a day makes?" Well, it really did this year.
Monday was pretty good, tuesday was dead, thursday was great, friday was dead.
BUT, in the end talent prevails, and divers get a chance to see what bluewater comp is all about.
Having done this tournament for 6 yrs now, I repeatedly see that pieces is everything. You can go out and plan on shooting 2 or 3 big fish, and win the meet,,,,, but good luck with that.
You need to think about ALL the fish allowed in the meet. AND, make an effort to take as many different species as possible each day.

GR showed again why he consistently finishes in the top.
We finished the game with 9 wahoo on the beach, which compared to last year was bad. We had days last year where we brought in 9 wahoo in 1 day. More jacks last year, but more roosters this year.
The thermocline was all over the place, sometimes at 30 ft, but most often 60-80ft.
Hunting AJ at 95ft was interesting to say the least. I shot a fish on tuesday at 92ft, came up, horsed the crap out of it for some reason and tore it off! I knew better than that, and have no idea what I was thinking. SO, reloaded, went back to the same area, pumped up, dropped to 95, wait, wait, wait,,,,, here comes another! Popped this one and let him run all he wanted. Took me 20 minutes to land a 46lb AJ, but I figured I had all day, and being as it was 46 points, why rush it????
I don;t like to dive any deeper than I have to, but its pretty cool laying at depth, in the dirty water, waiting for those jacks to appear!
All in all, everyone had a good time, and the party was outstanding! Arm wrestling with the pangeros, and between the divers,,, Baker started it not me. The new kid at palapas, Lito was the victor and whooped all takers. 6'5, and arms like rope, no one could touch him!
I'm hanging with the kids another 5 days, but wanted to get some pics out for all to see.
Also, I want to thank Tim and his crew at palapas for an outstanding job
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DW gun award ron (Large).jpg
Views:	298
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	155344   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunrise boats (1) (Large).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	155345   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunrise boats (2) (Large).jpg