View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #2272
Ric

Re: Daily Vis report thread

A loaded gun on the jetty is a rare occurrence but since I've seen it too, I can't say it's not real.
Trying to explain why it is a bad thing is awkward. Like, why would you need to explain that water is wet and fire burns ?

By the way, the jetty at Barnegat Inlet is relatively safe to walk on the rocks compared to the Manasquan Inlet. I mean at BI the rock tops are about flat, you have to watch your steps, but compared that to walking the jetty at Manasquan...it's like the engineer who designed the MI jetty wanted to break your legs.
I don't say there will never be an accident at BI or elsewhere but even if there is, that's not a reason to stop the spearfishing sport, the greatest sport ever to support mind and body.

About warning posters, a sign at the entrance of a jetty that would say: "walking with a loaded spearfishing gun is prohibited on the jetty" would remind me too much of some hot suburbs in France where the municipality has to post warnings such as "Throwing stones to the Police is Forbidden". There is this implicit message that the people concerned are total retards. You can't compensate retardation with regulations.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote