Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

24 Sharks and Rising...

...Like the tides, the great white shark count just keeps rising...At 4 p.m. on Sunday, an aerial count by the O.C. Sheriff's copter crew counted more than 2 dozen (that's 24 if you didn't graduate high school), ranging in size from 6' to 10'.
...All were located between Cotton's Point and Capistrano Beach. Twelve were counted just 25 to 100 yards off North Beach. At 10:30 a.m., a 9'er was spotted at the end of the San Clemente pier and at 1 p.m., a 7'er was spotted; also, off the pier. Authorities finally changed the status from warnings and advisories to actually closing the beaches for the day....On Monday, a 12'er was caught by a fisherman on the pier and released...

But, when it is bad for you, it is good for me...lots of open water now available for my halibut diving...I just have to find a slow, pleasantly plump partner....Tommy 7, are you out there?....he,he...

Some good news: This weekend, a spotter plane crew working just below the border reported seeing a massive school of 80 lb. Bluefin. They called in another plane to confirm what they were seeing.....a 150 yards wide by 4 mile long school of tuna heading north...yay!

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 05-23-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
apeogre

Re: 24 Sharks and Rising...

That's a reasonable number of great whites! Maybe they'll leave some halibut for the rest of us? Great news about the tuna!!!!!! I can't wait for them to show up.
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Pfish

Bob, here is the bad news about the bluefin below the border: There are a lot of seiners in the area taking out whole schools. They have to put a stop to commercial fishing. Period. I know some people are going to get upset for the last statement, but our oceans are getting raped. And they shut down spearfishing in the Baja? What a world.......
Old 05-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

The seiners can't get them all, as our 4 sixty-five to eighty-five pounders from last year shows.....Billy the Kid (my son) caught 8 or 10 Bluefin last year almost within sight of San Diego...some rumors of yellowfin within our boundries are making the rounds also...With the massive amount of bait now around San Clemente island, I will forecast a tuna bunchup off the east end this year....if so, they will be within shallow diving range for speargunners....

Ancient Ballew proverb: He who thinks his number is up should think positive, even as he is being gobbled down....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 05-23-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
But, when it is bad for you, it is good for me...lots of open water now available for my halibut diving...I just have to find a slow, pleasantly plump partner....Tommy 7, are you out there?....he,he..

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote