Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 The Blue Wild Expo - February 23-24, 2013

2013 The Blue Wild Expo - February 23-24, 2013 This is a world-class spearfishing, diving and water sports event with 1,000s of participants at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #61
Sheri
So Little Time

Re: (New!!!) Blue Wild Photo/Video Contest

Black screen/credits aside, the winning video is 3:04. I verified that myself. I instructed her NOT to edit anything after this came up, because I didn't want to hear any accusations of wrong-doing. I don't know where you're getting your numbers.

The grace period of 5 seconds was applied to everyone equally.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
Wile E. Coyote

Just watched a few of the videos, since I had to see what all the complaining was about...several videos are over 3 minutes....including Krackens; 3:03 ....so if strictly going by the rules, his would also be eliminated...but Sheri said she gave a little leeway.

None of the videos seemed to be noticeably the best.

Kracken had some nice video...especially liked the 1/2 under water shot.
However, there didn't seem to be a story, just pieces of his best video spliced together....early in the video shows several shot fish...but it never showed the hunt, or even the gun being fired.

The winning video had a story. Driving to the site, getting the gear ready, jumping in the water, stocking the fish and then shooting the fish. The video itself wasn't as great, but was put together a lot better.

All in all, I don't see what the complaining is about. The videos were all good...not great!

None of the videos were going to get, or lose, an Oscar whether they were a minute longer or shorter!
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #63
OutdoorCatholic
† Catholic Spearo †

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Just watched a few of the videos, since I had to see what all the complaining was about...several videos are over 3 minutes....including Krackens; 3:03 ....so if strictly going by the rules, his would also be eliminated...but Sheri said she gave a little leeway.

None of the videos seemed to be noticeably the best.

Kracken had some nice video...especially liked the 1/2 under water shot.
However, there didn't seem to be a story, just pieces of his best video spliced together....early in the video shows several shot fish...but it never showed the hunt, or even the gun being fired.

The winning video had a story. Driving to the site, getting the gear ready, jumping in the water, stocking the fish and then shooting the fish. The video itself wasn't as great, but was put together a lot better.

All in all, I don't see what the complaining is about. The videos were all good...not great!

None of the videos were going to get, or lose, an Oscar whether they were a minute longer or shorter!
The complaint is that he didn't even place. Instead of a token shot of pulling up and leaving, he used a token shot of his childhood and then ended it with him present day, giving the contextual storyline of spearing being his life. The ultra slow motion shots, the coordination of shots timed with the music, the epic National Geographic-esque shot with the dolphins circling the freediver, the great video quality and color correction, the variety of fish, the use of both gun and polespear, the creative use of high level shots including long pans and fly over/away... etc. I won't make any more posts regarding this issue as I don't want to make any enemies within such a small sport but I feel like the proverbial Ferrari in the room has been overlooked as not having enough cup holders.
OutdoorCatholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #64
Wile E. Coyote

Maybe I watched the wrong video!! I'd like to see the one you described.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #65
Wile E. Coyote

Actually, the issue was time....Kracken's issue anyway.

And ....you can't protest a judgement call...know that from baseball.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #66
OutdoorCatholic
† Catholic Spearo †

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Maybe I watched the wrong video!! I'd like to see the one you described.
I assume you're being sarcastic but if not, this is the video:
The Blue Wild Spearfishing - YouTube
2:22 is one of the most epic underwater shots I've ever seen. The framing of the shot and the perfect position of all the dolphins is crazy. Immediately preceding it is a crazy fly away shot which I assume was done using a long pole.

EDIT: After taking the time to make this I see you were in fact being sarcastic. I won't argue with you any further.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #67
ROCKHIND

There seems to be more drama in any sort of competition involving freediving then there are at cheerleading competitions!

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE PEOPLE!!!!!!

worse than an O.C. housewives!

Sheri, I really feel sorry for you.
ROCKHIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #68
Kraken
I am the sea

Im done with this. My questions were answered and I received some constructive criticism on the way so im happy. What happened, happened but im not gonna go on arguing about this for another week. I had fun making the video and I know at least a few people enjoyed it so that all that matters. I also liked all the other videos I have seen from the contest so it was neat to see what different areas are like to hunt.

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #69
Sheri
So Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKHIND View Post
Sheri, I really feel sorry for you.
Arrggghhh.....I feel sorry for me too!!!

The sad thing is....a couple people are correlating their difference of opinion with the judges (one of whom has won 5 Emmys) to some kind of shadiness or wrong-doing with the contest. I respect that someone may have a difference of opinion, but I don't respect someone trying to besmirch the integrity of the contest itself.

By doing this, and doing it publicly, it's the contestants who lose -- no more judges willing to volunteer their time, no more donations from the sponsors, no more spearfishing video contest. It was hard enough to get mainstream sponsors to stick their neck out and be associated with spearfishing-related events. Believe me -- there's a lot of environmentalist types who don't approve of our activity already, so many mainstream companies hesitate to be associated with us. This negative publicity has pretty much killed it for me. Plus, I don't have this kind of time to spend cleaning up messes (which proved to be unfounded in the first place).

We had 430 (non-spearfishing) photo contestants, and not a single complaint about the contest or outcome. I'm going to focus on that.

Anyway, I hope we can all move on to bigger and better things now. Kraken, no hard feelings toward you and a few lessons-learned for me here. You take care and keep up the great work.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #70
Wile E. Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorCatholic View Post
I assume you're being sarcastic but if not, this is the video:
The Blue Wild Spearfishing - YouTube

2:22 is one of the most epic underwater shots I've ever seen. The framing of the shot and the perfect position of all the dolphins is crazy. Immediately preceding it is a crazy fly away shot which I assume was done using a long pole.

EDIT: After taking the time to make this I see you were in fact being sarcastic. I won't argue with you any further.
Yeah, I was just joking! I liked the video...you obviously liked it more though. I liked all of them.

It's funny...by Sheri adding this great video event & having such BIG prizes ended up being it's demise...if the prize was $100 everyone probably would be happy now.
I guess if there is a lesson to be learned it would be...Sheri shouldn't do such a great job!

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 03-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #71
spearthebigones
Daniel

Ah man. Talk about coming late to the party.

I just found out about the video competition this week. I like making spearfishing videos, but it looks like this competition won't be returning

Even though I missed out thanks for putting this together Sheri. I enjoyed watching the videos that people submitted.

Last edited by spearthebigones; 03-07-2013 at 11:37 PM.
spearthebigones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #72
Sheri
So Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
Ah man. Talk about coming late to the party.

I just found out about the video competition this week. I like making spearfishing videos, but it looks like this competition won't be returning

Even though I missed out thanks for putting this together Sheri. I enjoyed watching the videos that people submitted.
Spearthebigone, there is a chance I will forget all this and do it again. I'm getting old and my memory sucks.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #73
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Spearthebigone, there is a chance I will forget all this and do it again. I'm getting old and my memory sucks.
Do it! That'll give me a whole year to step up my video editing skills!
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #74
Sheri
So Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKid View Post
Do it! That'll give me a whole year to step up my video editing skills!
Jeremy, you have a great attitude. You should keep honing your video skills no matter what. You're so young and have your whole life ahead of you. Just promise me you will dive safe.

I look forward to seeing more of your videos!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #75
OutdoorCatholic
† Catholic Spearo †

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Regardless of my views on Kraken's video, if you solved world peace and cured cancer there would still be people online criticizing you. The internet is such an awesome and horrible thing like that. As such, don't take it too personally (which is a lot easier said than done after busting your butt to make everything happen for the community).