Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #2311
Mana'squal

Re: Daily Vis report thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
How are you jersy? Ready to go ? True what you said.

My local swimming pool is 9 ft deep and at that depth I don't feel any pressure in my sinuses nor the need to equalize. But that's soft water, sea water is heavier.'Swallowing' is usually all I need in the 10-15ft range and I start to feel pressure in my sinuses at 10-12ft.
That's how I measure my depth. That and the light. It's not very precise but it tells me I wasn't deeper than 18ft Tuesday.
I wasn't heavy enough either, so I had to quick hard to go down and stay down. I need some practice for sure. The 5mm mako suit I have gives me lots of buoyancy. I may be back this WE but it's gonna be low tide, aka bad viz. But as you said you got to go where they are.
I don't think they're in this shallow period yet, holes or not. Its cold as **** and the food is limited even in the shallows. I'm holding out until 4/13 to get in for the pm high tide if anyone wants to join.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #2312
jersymudsniper

Im good. Getting ready. And i meant deep in the holes as in stick your head in there and look for them. But right now proably no fish. Its cold.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:48 AM   #2313
Ric

I was in low tide Barnegat inlet yeeterday, and although the top layer was milk soup, it improved below ~15 ft. Very clear but much colder too. So it's getting better, but I didn't see anything moving. I checked in a few holes but I saw nothing. It was too dark anyways in these holes. I'd need a flash light.
Somebody told me she saw a Seal catching a fish, but there was no reelers on the jetty, so beside seals, I don't know who's smart enough to catch a fish in March. But viz is getting better.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #2314
basstomouth
David

Anyone having luck with winter flounder this month? I will probably be taking a dive one of these mornings this week. If anyone’s down to tag along pm, it will be in Manasquan area.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #2315
Mana'squal

Im not "chasing 2 12inch winter flounder level" desperate to get wet, let me know if you see any bass if you get in though, sounds like we may have an early start to them this year.

If you see any tuatog shoot up some flares and ill come running.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #2316
basstomouth
David

Dove today in shark river, couldn’t catch high so I dove during the incoming tide this afternoon and viz was awful due to current. still managed one flounder at “12
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E79FF3AC-8AF0-4135-85DB-5CFF1B46B901.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	242060  
Old 04-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #2317
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstomouth View Post
Dove today in shark river, couldn’t catch high so I dove during the incoming tide this afternoon and viz was awful due to current. still managed one flounder at “12

Least you didn’t get skunked.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #2318
basstomouth
David

Dove some structure today to see if there was more than Flounder going on right now.... good viz but it was a ghost town down there... not a soul. Really wish they did in May what they decide to do in April with blackfish. Good to get in though, should pick up once the water decides to creep into the 50s.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #2319
Ric

Barnegat Inlet: good viz at high tide yesterday ~10ft maybe more. But no fish, except very small fish that ressemble small Bergals. Crabs and baby clams are on the rocks, so food is coming.
I noticed the edges near the jetty are now almost covered in sand wherever there was no sand before and a guy told me they dredged the channel. So they moved the sand toward the jetty. I looked for flounders but could not spot any.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #2320
Mana'squal

Quote:
Barnegat Inlet: good viz at high tide yesterday ~10ft maybe more. But no fish, except very small fish that ressemble small Bergals. Crabs and baby clams are on the rocks, so food is coming.
I noticed the edges near the jetty are now almost covered in sand wherever there was no sand before and a guy told me they dredged the channel. So they moved the sand toward the jetty. I looked for flounders but could not spot any.

I wouldn’t expect flounder to be hanging in the inlet now, probably well into the bay hunting invertebrates.

Did you take a light and look back into holes? Tautog May have moved in but you wouldn’t see any out in the open they’re holed up staying warm and taking easy meals.

The fact that you saw life in the open is great news. I’m going this coming weekend. Probably Sunday with the current swell projections.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #2321
jersymudsniper

Quote:
i went saturday and there was zero vis and no fish that i could spot in turd vis.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #2322
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
turd vis.
AKA Standard visibility
Old 04-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #2323
Pelagics1988

I'll probably hop in later this week to see whats around. Stripers are flowing into the Raritan right now so may go rod and reel at night after work.
Pelagics1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #2324
jersymudsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
AKA Standard visibility
No it was blackout no vis at all. But it was rough in inlet. Mighta cleared up by sunday.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #2325
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
No it was blackout no vis at all. But it was rough in inlet. Mighta cleared up by sunday.
Water was calm yesterday, it sure helps. I don't say it was the Caribbean vis, I just say it was probably 10 ft but not as clear as April 2018 though.

I checked a few holes and didn't see anything but I have no light so obviously it is difficult to see anything in that dark. I inserted my spear but nothing moved.

I met other spearos who said they went into the ocean side, or the 'other' side anyway, I think they meant the North jetty. But anyways they also reported no fish.