Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Gator97dwb

Roll control style tank rack w/suction cups

Has anyone used this or know someone who has? the rail attaches to the boat via large suction cups. I want to kow if it works and holds onto the boat well enough to holds the tanks. I dive off of various boats that don't always have tank racks. Seems like a good option.

thanks
Gator97dwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Re: Roll control style tank rack w/suction cups

Roll control tracks have pulled out of gunwales on lots of boats, even when installed with screws. Catastrophic results if they don't hold. They should only be through bolted in my opinion.

I also dive off many students boats. I'd suggest tank tamer style lay down racks and assemble your packs on the first tank.

Chad
Located in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SE Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Gator97dwb

Thanks Chad. I currently use foam racks and lay the tanks in the bottom of the boat. It just takes up so much room when you get 4 tanks or more that I am investigating other options.

I also can't get bolts in behind the rail on the main boat I will be using and don't trust the screws to hold.
Gator97dwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator97dwb View Post
Thanks Chad. I currently use foam racks and lay the tanks in the bottom of the boat. It just takes up so much room when you get 4 tanks or more that I am investigating other options.

I also can't get bolts in behind the rail on the main boat I will be using and don't trust the screws to hold.
I know what you are saying, tanks laid down are so space consumptive.

I love the Roll Control system. On my previous Aquasport I had a tight area that I installed a round access port to allow me to get to the back of the bolts.

My present boat was easily accessible to mount the 24 RC racks.

Good luck!

Chad
Located in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SE Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
'Teehugger

I have two of the Max Holding systems 4 tank holders. Here is my experience: They get the tanks off the deck. That is good. They don't keep them off the deck all day. That is bad. Each time I have used them the suction cups have failed on the way in after diving all day. Sometimes they have failed 2 or three times in one day. I have not had any catastrophes yet--usually the suction cups give out one at a time and you can stop and fix them back up. Also, since we had gear bags piled against them the tanks have just slumped down on them.

To be fair, I use them in the bow of my boat where the attachment surface is curved and where you get the biggest bounce. If you have a flat surface in the transom, they will probably work better. I suspect the 2 or 3 tank versions will do a little better also.

The speargun holders that come with them work great for wood guns like the mahogany Biller but are useless for the metal Billers several of my buddies use. On the other hand, there is extra room behind the tanks that the suction cups provide which we have found is a good spot for laying the metal guns and pole spears on horizontally.

For what it is worth, I plan to continue to use them with the suction cups until I get around to permanently mounting them--which may not be anytime soon. Obviously, I paid the extra bucks for the suction cups to avoid the permanent solution but my results so far tell me the permanent fix is needed.

Ken
'Teehugger is offline   Reply With Quote