Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Geico Motorcycle

Every time I see a "Geico Motorcycle" insurance ad, I just have to smile remembering my personal good old day experiences with this company.

Geico used to solicit business by sending letters (thru the US Postal Service) to "professionals" because they perceived us as lower risk customers. I was a young engineer, so I fell into their "professional" category and got their letters encouraging me to call them for a quote.

The first time I called them, they were very receptive to insure my primary vehicle, but changed their mind when I asked if they could insure my '65 Mustang as well. As soon as I answered their question about the Mustang having a V8, they told me they not only wouldn't insure the Mustang, but would not insure anything for me because I owned a vehicle with a V8

I still own the Mustang, but never mentioned it to them again. Thru the years, I would periodically give them a ring to see if they could help me out .. I never got insurance with them for the following reasons:

1. Owned the Mustang with a V8 engine
2. Owned a Porsche, which was OK, except it had a turbo
3. I admitted I owned a radar detector
4. Owned an RX7, which was OK, until it was disclosed it was the GSL-SE model with the almost 150 HP engine

And the clincher:

5. They were all ready to insure my Toyota Celica, but I asked them about motorcycle insurance. Once I disclosed that I did indeed own a motorcycle (GS1100), they told me they would not insure anything for anyone that owned a motorcycle

Those are all the excuses for not insuring my stuff I can quickly think of right now. Anyone else have any?

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
OBLIGATED

Re: Geico Motorcycle

We have been using State Farm for 20 years.No issues with My sons camaro,mustang,Suzuki GSXR,my trucks,Triumph 600TT or the Harley.
I could get a slightly better rate from Progressive but the name doesnt set well with me and I like walking into the State Farm office and knowing who Im dealing with locally.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

I checked online with Geico a few weeks ago. Very high.
Have been getting postal mail almost every day since. And a few emails
Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #4
Ron S

Gary you should be ashamed of yourself. The only vehicle you should be driving is a Prius. Well, you could drive a Subaru, but only if you apologize for it's added carbon imprint over that of a Prius...

I just bought a used Subaru today, but I also drive a truck with a V-8 and an 1,100cc motorcycle. Guess I'm screwed...

Ron.

Oh, and I'm gonna put NRA and Fishing Rights Alliance stickers on the Subaru, just to piss off the local anti's.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Gary you should be ashamed of yourself. The only vehicle you should be driving is a Prius. Well, you could drive a Subaru, but only if you apologize for it's added carbon imprint over that of a Prius...

I just bought a used Subaru today, but I also drive a truck with a V-8 and an 1,100cc motorcycle. Guess I'm screwed...

Ron.

Oh, and I'm gonna put NRA and Fishing Rights Alliance stickers on the Subaru, just to piss off the local anti's.
Put them on a car that has a co-exist sticker.Let their friend vandalize their car.No stickers on my vehicles.I wear shirts that offend
Old 08-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
OBLIGATED

I may be getting one of these bikes this weekend if we agree on the deal.Not a Harley but still a comfortable ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004bmw1200gt.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	234901  
Old 08-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
I may be getting one of these bikes this weekend if we agree on the deal.Not a Harley but still a comfortable ride.
Doesn't get much better than that!
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Doesn't get much better than that!
Harley Ultra ClassicLow center of gravity,full floorboards,back rest,stereo,cruise,plenty of storage and you can ride all day without much fatigue if stop every 100 miles or so.Wife likes to ride if she is comfortable.
I have too many boats right now.Once I have space and some spare change the Ultra will be my primary bike.