Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #3271
Dbrown

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Out of CLW pass 5/25/19
Ran way N of Anclote up to around Bayport. Dive one a ledge in 50'. Picked up 4 mangos. Viz 30'. Temp 80.
Went deeper to 66'. Large area of limestone structure. Had a big beam in it and some other debris. Saw the tail of one male Hog enter a cave. That was it. Couldn't find him. Shot a mango.
Moved SE to 60' to a very small ledge. Had a few keeper gags. Shot 2 hogs there and 4 mangos.

Viz and temp about the same on all dives. Bit hazy. Some particulate in the water. Seas were not great. 3' rollers out of the S in am. Not bad as we ran N. when wind switched to, we were hoping for lay down, but it chopped it and white capped it up. Easy enough ride home though in 30' boat.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #3272
Dbrown

Oh, and we found a boat!! Radioed it in to Coast Guard. Owner was trolling radio and picked up transmission. There was rock anchor, some chain and enough rope, so with a few wire ties to rig it up, I hear we made the day of "some old sailors looking to live their dream, and that we filled our Karma bucket!" LOL! They texted our Cpt this am. Glad they got it back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2982.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	242698  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #3273
CuzzA

Out today 5/28 on the Ruckus. Headed off of St. Joseph Sound northwest 30 miles to 80 fsw scouting some new territory which did not pay off. Seas were a solid 2 foot short interval chop heading out, but quickly laid down to nice 1 foot flat rollers which made for great cruising to cover some ground. Unfortunately all the ledges on the scouting trip were blown in with sand, so we went ahead and dropped on a nearby tug wreck which produced one fat lionfish and sightings of the to be expected usual wreck residents, a couple overfed fat nurse sharks, big rays, cudas and jewfish. One beefy gag on the wreck. Viz was excellent, 40 ft.+ horizontal.

We moved to the parking lot off New Port Richey in 50 ft. and found viz deteriorating to about 20 ft. and the closest spot from shore had the beginnings of gumbo, also the warmest at 84 degrees. Not very fishy in the area and several bull sharks made their presence known. I was buzzed twice, Amanda had one come under her and try and take a Mackerel she just shot. On the following dives Rich and Amanda picked up two bulls that were more aggressive and began circling them, forcing them out of the water.

We decided with the lack of fish and number of sharks, to move north off Hudson in 50 ft. and those spots were much more fishy and I was able to pick up 5 mangos and 3 "nice" hogs. Two mangos came on one shot in a hole which always puts a smile on a spearo's face.

All in all, a good day on the water, but not without a lot of effort. Looking forward to the Tampa Bay Spearfishing Challenge in two weeks. Middle Grounds is the target if anyone wants to buddy boat.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Attach2371_20190528_205631.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	242722  

Last edited by CuzzA; 05-28-2019 at 10:02 PM.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 AM   #3274
sharpshooter

Getting to be that time of year with the sharks. Also, commercial harvest has been down on sharks for several years. Keep in mind. Hurricane Irma shifted the sands around out here. One ledge I have was a foot and a half tall. Now about 3"-4" tall. Another got 80 percent filled in on one side and the other side sucked out. The sucked out side is even better than what the now filled in side was. Depending on weather. I'm sure there'll be plenty of boats in the MG during the TBSC. On June 1 Federal permitted charter boats and party boats can also catch ARS. Recreational for ARS is June 11. Shouldn't be a problem to see or hail somebody out there. Good luck.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #3275
Seal Rock

Latest Naval satellite imagery indicates the entire Gulf Fleet is preparing to mobilize. Something big is happening men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #3276
CuzzA

Haha. I couldn't even walk through my shop with the amount of tanks in there getting filled.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #3277
Dbrown

Out of Clearwater pass 6/1/19 like many other boats!
Calm day, fun day. Limited out on my 2 gags in 8 minutes on dive 1 in 55'. Nothing big. 2 26" gags. Biggest of day was 27". Did a few other dives as deep as 65'. Cooler got to where it needed to be with a few fish here and a few there.
Viz was about 25'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2987.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	242770  
Old 06-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #3278
Seal Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Out of Clearwater pass 6/1/19 like many other boats!

Calm day, fun day. Limited out on my 2 gags in 8 minutes on dive 1 in 55'. Nothing big. 2 26" gags. Biggest of day was 27". Did a few other dives as deep as 65'. Cooler got to where it needed to be with a few fish here and a few there.

Viz was about 25'.

Well done!

Old 06-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #3279
SEATUX

My buddy and I went out from Venice yesterday. Seas were like GLASS! Started diving in 50', not much fish, vis a bit "foggy". went deeper till we found the fish in mid 70' and very clear vis. Limited on gag, red grouper, mango, and hog, also got amaco jack, vermillion, one mutton...Never saw a lion fish all day!
As the sun started to go down the seas picked up to 2'. Long day, lots of sun, lots of fun. My buddy got bit on the arm by a shark, it really pissed him off, I laughed till my sides hurt.

BTW..it was an Angle shark.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #3280
dkay

Some opening day gags off Anclote in 50ish’. The gulf looked like the mall parking lot on Black Friday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BCA92E8E-F614-4A58-8087-0D16E06EAD6A.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	242775   Click image for larger version

Name:	34322C33-927D-48AB-B846-413E3CA61CF5.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	242776  
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #3281
Basskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
My buddy and I went out from Venice yesterday. Seas were like GLASS! Started diving in 50', not much fish, vis a bit "foggy". went deeper till we found the fish in mid 70' and very clear vis. Limited on gag, red grouper, mango, and hog, also got amaco jack, vermillion, one mutton...Never saw a lion fish all day!
As the sun started to go down the seas picked up to 2'. Long day, lots of sun, lots of fun. My buddy got bit on the arm by a shark, it really pissed him off, I laughed till my sides hurt.

BTW..it was an Angle shark.
SEATUX- how were the temps out there? no wetsuit needed?
Basskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #3282
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basskrieg View Post
SEATUX- how were the temps out there? no wetsuit needed?
I didn't look at the actual temp, but it has warmed up allot.
I Always wear a very then suit, just for the "protection" it provides, and I was plenty warm in it.
I didnt even notice a thermocline.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #3283
Basskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I didn't look at the actual temp, but it has warmed up allot.
I Always wear a very then suit, just for the "protection" it provides, and I was plenty warm in it.
I didnt even notice a thermocline.
Thanks for the info!!!!!
Basskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #3284
Dbrown

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akmwohf80MKWlGPSf7RlucGc5evX

My temp Sat out of CLearwater pass was 81 degrees in 55'. Wore a skin for the sun and abrasion protection if reaching under ledges. Also for any stinging creatures in the gulf.

Experimenting with placing first video. Dive one, 8 min video condensed to 3 min. Nice viz. likely better than the 25' I said earlier. Closer to 35'. First fish wasn't great first shot. I was happy enough with shot into second though. First was just under 26", second was 26.5".

I just wanted to nab my 2 gags and let the other divers get going on opening day. They had done the work ahead of time To pre-dive and create the dive plan on 5/30/19 while I was behind a desk at work.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:26 AM   #3285
Seal Rock