Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
MLAT44

Looking For a New Mask - Problem with Forehead Pressure

I'm in the market for a new mask, but all the low volume masks I've tried on from several shops have all given me intense pressure in the middle of my forehead just above my eyebrows. Anyone had the same problem and been able to find a low volume mask without the forehead pressure? Thanks in advance!
MLAT44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
StukNotAnchored

Re: Looking For a New Mask - Problem with Forehead Pressure

I have had the same problem but with scuba since I started. If there is a solution I would love hear it.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:03 AM   #3
Mikel_24

Only suggestion I could think off is for you to go to a well stocked store and try on as many masks as you can. Forget about low volume and focus on comfort. This is like wetsuits and skiing boots... the best one is the one that firts you better!

You could stick to black silicone facials if you want to reduce your scope for the search.

Could it also be a problem of tightening the band too much or placing it too low on the back of the head therefore exerting unequal pressure arround the perimeter (more on the forehead)?

You have probably already thought about all this but... just in case.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAT44 View Post
I'm in the market for a new mask, but all the low volume masks I've tried on from several shops have all given me intense pressure in the middle of my forehead just above my eyebrows. Anyone had the same problem and been able to find a low volume mask without the forehead pressure? Thanks in advance!

Yes I have the same issue with most low volume masks. It is because of my short nose that the bridge of the mask rides to high on my face. A little bit of increased pressure creates discomfort.

Although not completely perfect the Mares Viper mask is the most comfortable so far. Salvimar Noah is okay for pool training but not for depth. Sigalsub Sauron did not work for me.

One day we will have silicone skirts custom moulded to our face I hope.

Indeed find a shop with a large assortment and try them all out.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
jersymudsniper

Cant say its for you but i've had a bunch of different masks. Most comfortable and best seal for me is sea dive/seadiver rayblocker hd.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
popgun pete

Although not low volume you could try one of the oval tilted faceplate heritage masks such as the Beuchat Super Compensator Mask as they still make them. These masks fit nearly everybody and I used them for years when I first started diving. I used it for spearfishing and scuba and they were a top quality mask in their day and in some ways still are. You used to see some of the Calypso divers wearing them in the Jacques Cousteau TV Specials. I had worked my way through two of them before I switched to a Minimax which hardly fitted anybody except me as when I tried to replace it the distributor said it was not very popular. Recently for old time's sake I purchased another Super Compensator, so they should be available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	super-compensator-caoutchouc.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	241982  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Check out my MAKO Minimus Freedive Mask and my MAKO Perfect Fit Mask Guarantee

The MAKO “Mini” freedive mask has been our number one selling diving mask. It was designed exclusively for pure freedivers, with an ultra low volume design and wide field of view.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Minimu...Mask-p/mmm.htm

If it does not fit, I will give you a FULL REFUND (INCLUDING SHIPPING) AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHIP IT BACK!

All I ask is that you call me so I can learn more about your required fit, and then please promise to give the mask to member of our armed services or someone you feel is deserving of a nice gift.

I don't dive as deep as Martin or William, but with this mask, I easily did 147ft and barely had to equalize.

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #8
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Looking For a New Mask - Problem with Forehead Pressure

Same problem for me. It's very hard for me to find a mask that doesn't hurt me right between the eyebrows to the point of giving me headaches. Completely solved with Scubapro's Comp mask (I think that's the name. The two glass version). It's flexible, too in the bridge between the glasses so you don't have to equalize it as much as many other masks. I believe it used to be a Subgear mask but now it's a Scubapro branded one. Despite the new branding they probably come from the same mold but I feel like the older Subgear ones were softer. Can't promise since I lost mine and bought the Scubapro version instead. Loads of people fit this mask so it might work for you, too.

On that note, years ago, I was in a freedive shop where the owner had just received some of the very first ones. A whole bunch of us (women, men, Asians and Caucasian) tried them on I was shocked by how many different people it fit. Can't recall exactly but perhaps 2/3rds of us. It's a bit like a Sphera without the downsides of fragility and curved plastic lenses.

I try every mask in every shop I ever pop into and so far, nothing has come close to the Subgear/Scubapro mask apart from a Sphera, of course.
As an "old" alternative, the Omer Abyss actually fits me, too. But the vision is not that wide. But at least, it's a very easy mask to but a GoPro mount on, if you care about such stuff.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 04-02-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:56 AM   #9
kodama

I always thought I would experience problems while aiming because the frame bends and the lenses don’t stay in the same plane distorting your vision.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #10
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
I always thought I would experience problems while aiming because the frame bends and the lenses don’t stay in the same plane distorting your vision.

I thought the same, but I haven't had any issues with my mask. Well, at least I don't think I can blame missed shots on the mask;-)
I have shot a ton of underwater video on scuba with this mask, too and I like it so much I bought two as soon as I tracked them down. I still beat myself up over losing the original Subgear version, though.

Mind you, I would never spear or do video with a Sphera - the vision is too blurred with that mask. But your brain is very good at patching bad s*&% up so after a short while, you don't really notice how bad the vision in a Sphera is (and it's still a kick ass mask for freediving). But try to dive for half a session with a Sphera and then change to a glass mask, you'll be shocked;-)

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 04-02-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #11
popgun pete

It is a wonder in this high-tech age that someone has not come up with a 3D laser scanner to map faces and then put the digitized information into a database to match to a range of possible dive masks. Dive masks are usually shaped to fit as wide a range as possible, but they don’t fit everybody if there is some structure to the mask. The old round porthole mask had a very simple flange to accommodate to different shaped faces, but once double flange masks appeared the fits became more restricted to certain facial features. If someone had their facial map info then they could buy masks on-line and be assured of a good fit.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #12
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
It is a wonder in this high-tech age that someone has not come up with a 3D laser scanner to map faces and then put the digitized information into a database to match to a range of possible dive masks. Dive masks are usually shaped to fit as wide a range as possible, but they don’t fit everybody if there is some structure to the mask. The old round porthole mask had a very simple flange to accommodate to different shaped faces, but once double flange masks appeared the fits became more restricted to certain facial features. If someone had their facial map info then they could buy masks on-line and be assured of a good fit.

Exactly what we need

AND

similar technology for custom made footpockets.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #13
cmburch
Blue Crab

Forehead pressure for me is due to band too tight on the ill fitting mask to get it not to leak.

I try on several masks by gently pressing on face to see if it forms a seal and slight suction. I then check for field of view and optical clarity on the masks that may fit my face. Then test in pool with snorkel within the return date on the mask in case have to exchange or return.

The best masks for me with a large face are SeaDive TruVue RayBlockers. Medium volume. Great for long surface swims in the bright California sunshine. I also have an Omer low volume tinted mask that fits me very well.
cmburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #14
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAT44 View Post
Found a mask yet or did you take Dano up on his offer?
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #15
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
As an "old" alternative, the Omer Abyss actually fits me, too. But the vision is not that wide. But at least, it's a very easy mask to but a GoPro mount on, if you care about such stuff.
I have been using the Omer AByss for years! And I attached a home made stainless bracket for the GoPro right between the eyes.

The facial is not silicone, but rubber. And a hard one! It works ok for me although I get a pressure point right under the nose with that mask.

I have switched to more comfortable masks recently but keep the Abyss as a spare (are also pretty scratched).

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote