Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Question Hmmm.......Is underwater GPS feasible with this?

How Wireless Water-to-Air Communication Could Revolutionize Marine Research

Smithsonian

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innov...rch-180970217/

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
mactrac

Re: Hmmm.......Is underwater GPS feasible with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
How Wireless Water-to-Air Communication Could Revolutionize Marine Research

Smithsonian

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innov...rch-180970217/
Feasible, yes, I guess. But to get GPS underwater, there would have to be a network of satellites equipped with antenna that broadcast a dedicated radar signal for the underwater receptors. Can't imagine that happening, even on a military level (no doubt subs have are existing means of fixing their positions using surface buoys etc).

I have heard there are some interesting developments on using inertial navigation for underwater applications that would extrapolate a diver's position based on movement away from a known GPS position on the surface. It's still not ready for the consumer market but I think it's the best chance for "underwater GPS" eventually.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/4570032/

Last edited by mactrac; 09-18-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Add link
mactrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
moteman

I guess it depends on what you are wanting GPS underwater for. If you want to navigate by GPS, that's not currently possible, but if you want to mark an underwater structure that you found while diving, not only is it possible but I've been doing it for years.

You need a waterproof to depth container for your GPS (I use an Otterbox rated for 150fsw), and a hand reel. You turn on the GPS before your dive, place it inside the case and clip it onto your BC before going in. When you descend it loses signal, when you find a structure you want to mark, send it to the surface, it gets a fix....give it about 5 minutes, then pull it back down and it'll log that position on your track log or you can just write down the last lat/lon on your slate. I first developed this technique when I was doing a mapping project for my DM certification. Works great!
moteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Yea, it's possible but the data speeds underwater will be severely reduced creating serious lag. Also, the size of the unit will be significantly increased. IMO, it would be an unsatisfactory endeavor...a pipe dream.
A much more practical solution would be an antenna for it that floats on the surface as you move around. I personally don't see a viable application except maybe search rescue missions in dirty moving water...then again you're at the mercy of your antenna location on the surface.
The author appears to be just reaching for a story.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote