Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #16
Bob Ballew

Re: Bad DFW check this season

A similar version of what happened to us while hooping last week might have occurred in Jaxwax's situation. We cleared our hoop nets of all shorts....Fortunately for us, we rebait our hoops repeatedly. Twice, when I lifted up the pvc bait containers to put in fresh bait, lo and behold, there was a tiny lobster clinging onto the bottom of the containers, completely out of sight ...Both lobsters were small and not visible when looking into the hoops. Jax might have had a short under his bag clinging to it and falling free when the bugs were dumped by F&W to do the measuring..It is also possible there was a short sliding around on the warden's boat and it got mixed in with Jax's catch....Moral: Double check your decks and lobster bags when diving and keep an eye on everything...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-17-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:37 AM   #17
jaxwax
average joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
What happened to us while hooping last week might have occurred in Jaxwax's situation. We cleared our hoop nets of all shorts....Fortunately for us, we rebait our hoops repeatedly. Twice, when I lifted up the pvc bait containers to put in fresh bait, lo and behold, there was a tiny lobster clinging onto the bottom of the containers, completely out of sight ...Both lobsters were small and not visible when looking into the hoops. Jax might have had a short under his bag clinging to it and falling free when the bugs were dumped by F&W to do the measuring...Moral: Double check your decks and when diving...
Funny, they mentioned to us while measuring our bugs on their deck that it was already full of abandoned hoop nets that they pulled out of the water that night. We didn't see what the deck actually looked like as it was high above our view
jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwax View Post
Funny, they mentioned to us while measuring our bugs on their deck that it was already full of abandoned hoop nets that they pulled out of the water that night. We didn't see what the deck actually looked like as it was high above our view
Yeah,
We can try to give then the benefit of the doubt all you want, but the truth of the matter is that their Foleys carry heavy weight. What if instead of a short lobster, it had been a small abalone?

Charged for something one has not done posits questions on our caracter, and decency before our families whome we share our stories... and friends within this community. Let me prove it; “L. Local is a poacher!” Who knows now? Maybe he is, maybe he’s not! What we can be sure of is that if he is not, he has been screwed by the doubt planted in people’s head. But, we can always offer him this gem of friendly advise “Stay out of those Channel Islands Dude.”

Back to DFW. After an experience like that, being approached by DFW feels like being stopped by a cop in a third world country- unpredictable and unsafe. I have been on dives with Joe (Jaxwax) before and I can attest to his caracter and experience within our sport; a short lobstrer in his bag is an impossibility. It take a lot to put youself out there and share this kind of experience- trust me, I know!

He is sharing his outrageous experience with DFW to benefit everyone that reads this thread. DFW officers are not your friends and there are more than a few out there that are either dishonest or just plain enept. Either cases are dangerous!

In a nutshell, you don’t have to be rude but be smart about the DFW stop. Do let your catch go out of your sight and pay attention.

I thank you Joe for posting this for the benefit of us all.

Finally, I extend an apology on behalf of those that derail such serious and important thread with asinine levity! This thread is not the place!!!

I live for days like these!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #19
Bob Ballew

Big C....to survive the CA lifestyle, you have to develop a bizarre sense of humor... One final suggestion, then, I will shut up....most of us have a camera on board. If things look bad, some photos of the situation may come in handy later (photos of your catch laid out on deck with the gage next to them, etc....also, take detailed notes on who said what, to prevent faulty memory later...good notes are good evidence....a competent investigator/attorney/average citizen/convict/poacher should cover all the bases, no matter which side of the law you end up on....reasonable doubt has won many a case that might otherwise be lost for those poor souls who are not prepared...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-17-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #20
carrasco

Quote:
Big C....to survive the CA lifestyle, you have to develop a bizarre sense of humor...
I get it, and I can dish it out. But when you have DFW harassing you for no reason at all, the last thing you need is someone making wisecracks.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #21
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
Yeah,
We can try to give then the benefit of the doubt all you want, but the truth of the matter is that their Foleys carry heavy weight. What if instead of a short lobster, it had been a small abalone?

Charged for something one has not done posits questions on our caracter, and decency before our families whome we share our stories... and friends within this community. Let me prove it; “L. Local is a poacher!” Who knows now? Maybe he is, maybe he’s not! What we can be sure of is that if he is not, he has been screwed by the doubt planted in people’s head. But, we can always offer him this gem of friendly advise “Stay out of those Channel Islands Dude.”

Back to DFW. After an experience like that, being approached by DFW feels like being stopped by a cop in a third world country- unpredictable and unsafe. I have been on dives with Joe (Jaxwax) before and I can attest to his caracter and experience within our sport; a short lobstrer in his bag is an impossibility. It take a lot to put youself out there and share this kind of experience- trust me, I know!

He is sharing his outrageous experience with DFW to benefit everyone that reads this thread. DFW officers are not your friends and there are more than a few out there that are either dishonest or just plain enept. Either cases are dangerous!

In a nutshell, you don’t have to be rude but be smart about the DFW stop. Do let your catch go out of your sight and pay attention.

Finally, I extend an apology on behalf of those that derail such serious and important thread with asinine levity! This thread is not the place!!!
You damn breakwall guys! hahahaha

I never run into trouble at the islands!

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #22
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

No disrespect to anyone here.

My nephew and I pulled the boat out of the water and moved to a parking space where we could get everything under control for the tow home. That’s when I found a short lobster on the deck. I was very surprised because I always am very careful. My nephew tried to take the bug back to the water to release it. Bad idea. I tossed it in the bushes and we got the hell out of there.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #23
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
You damn breakwall guys! hahahaha

I never run into trouble at the islands!
And hopefully, thanks to this thread and others like it you never will. Just the fact that you have read it is already helping you whether you wish to admit it or not.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #24
jaxwax
average joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
Yeah,

Thanks brother. You and anyone else this has happened to clearly understand the cloud of doubt vibe from friends and family. Would never wish this f##ckery on anyone

DFW. Its a profession. And just like so many other humans at their professions can be sorely incompetent. My hope is just to warn people to use caution, and don't be so blindly trusting of authority cause if they f up the mess left over is on you

Last year would have glazed over a bummer thread like this and just thought the OP was into some drama with the law. If you are reading this thread and think that won't happen to you cause you're a good guy and follow the all the rules than this thread was meant for you
jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #25
Ron S

Quote:
I doubt there is an officer out there who would cite for making a gauge more than legal and any judge would immediately dismiss the citation if an officer was stupid enough to try it....but, like everywhere these days, some in positions of authority, aren't the smartest cookies in the box...There are some cheap aluminum gauges that are too small due to the stamping process compressing the edges inward...it is always a good idea to measure it yourself and like me, consider making it definitely legal by a quick hit with a file.....like my wife says, "Big is always better".....
Bob, for what it's worth, there was a thread some years back by an abalone diver who only took trophy abs. He was diving with a 10" trophy gauge while his 7" "legal" gauge hung from his float. He saw a warden on the cliff watching him through a spotting scope but wasn't concerned. After several hours the diver managed 3 abs all over 10". when he returned to shore, the warden was waiting for him. He checked his abs, then cited him for not using a legal gauge. He said he understood that the diver was a trophy hunter, but also saw that he never measured his abs with the 7" gauge that remained hanging from his float. The diver used the logic of, "if an abalone is over 10", then it's also over 7". He was cited and his gear and abs confiscated.

The diver successfully beat the cite in court, but had to take time off from work and travel to do it.

Back when abalone diving was legal in NorCal, I and my sons dove with a 7" gauge attached to our 9" gauge. We also each carried a spare, cheap plastic 7" gauge in our floats in case ours was lost...

I would assume that just taking 1/16" off a gauge to ensure it's legal would never be a problem, but ya just never know...

Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #26
danaslayer
Patrick

Quote:
One final suggestion, then, I will shut up....most of us have a camera on board. If things look bad, some photos of the situation may come in handy later (photos of your catch laid out on deck with the gage next to them, etc....also, take detailed notes on who said what, to prevent faulty memory later...good notes are good evidence....a competent investigator/attorney/average citizen/convict/poacher should cover all the bases, no matter which side of the law you end up on....reasonable doubt has won many a case that might otherwise be lost for those poor souls who are not prepared...
That's a great point you made right there, I was actually denied that right to take photos when I got stopped 5 years ago by a park ranger. I was cited for a short, but it was an exact 3.25" (you could turn it upside down and the gauge would stick). Ended up proving myself right in court with a cut out ruler and caliper, along with a written statement from DFG, but photo evidence would've helped!