Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #16
tipofthespearo

Re: Popping my Marquesas cherry for my birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaler Spearguns View Post
he means (excuse me if I am wrong) the hump that sits off the rolloff in the sand - 100 days a year is an accomplished scuba guy - and i believe he means one of the humps that sit in the sand just south off the rolloff in 110 ft or so - there are about a dozen of those humps from just west of key west and almost to tail end.
He means the hump directly in front of marquesas rock probably from his description.
Unless you are able to freedive 110 ft and dig groupers out of caves - you need to stick to the reef line.
Fyi - this time of year the blacks are in deeper water and the reef has been picked through a bit months ago. So go as deep as possible.
In general Aug and Sept. are not great for spearing - the commercial guys often leave town during this time.
It's still worth going and it's beautiful and alot of fun - you just may have to work a bit harder to get fish that may not be huge .
I would suggest trying to work behind the reef - in hawks channel - all the way from the very easternmost part of marquesas - to the middle or so of the islands - and work the humps in 30 to 35 ft if they are clear enough
- During the higher of high tides each day is the best visibility- about 2 hours before to one or two hours after is bluer water usually - so plan around that a bit.
Lots of fish in hawks channel because way less pressure because of predominantly bad vis - but sometimes its good- and when it is - you kill it.

As far as where to go on the reef line - just ride down the line between known reef spots and use your bottom machine - the rocks run all over the place in a line pretty much
Much appreciated man! Any info goes a long way out there. Don't think I'll be going toe to toe with a holed up grouper that deep...most we do is 60-70 if we can't find them shallower. We hit the reef line last time we were down there with no working depth finder and still found some blacks to shoot at, just had to tow behind the boat looking down to find some good structure. Been looking for rolloffs and such on the bathymetric charts to get in a general area too. I've heard that Hawk's channel can be great but you're right about the vis, last time I was there it was probably less than 5 feet! Hopefully this time around we'll get on some studs again as long as Irma doesn't wreck everything
tipofthespearo is offline   Reply With Quote