Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #31
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: linking rubbers together for more speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpwatson View Post
Regardless of the physics you're trying to figure out, cutting a band in half and 'gluing' it back together isn't practical.
Yep, that's another point I was just thinking about.

Andersp90, please video/post your experiment. I'd recommend safety glasses.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #32
Hpwatson

You could try some sort of ultra short wishbone between the two band ends or even a double sided bead or something with constrictor knots. I think I see what you're getting at but some of the comments about usability are worth considering. There is a max stretch point on any rubber you use where it becomes counterproductive to stretch the band further, and by linking two bands end-to-end you're trying to get more power from a 'single' co-joined band, but I don't think you're gaining any stretch. Its ether 100% or 50% + 50% from how I see it.
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #33
Andersp90

Quote:
Regardless of the physics you're trying to figure out, cutting a band in half and 'gluing' it back together isn't practical.
No, im not sure such a glue exists.

I plan on using piercings to join the ends. 3 pr final rubber band.

Hunt is already making something similar, so mabye he will make me some: http://www.huntechnology.it/en/ogivepiercing.aspx
Andersp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #34
Andersp90

Quote:
There is a max stretch point on any rubber you use where it becomes counterproductive to stretch the band further, and by linking two bands end-to-end you're trying to get more power from a 'single' co-joined band, but I don't think you're gaining any stretch. Its ether 100% or 50% + 50% from how I see it.
The setup wont provide added stretch, nor will it provide more power (the band wont have more power). The "new" band should release the same amount of energy - just twice as fast.

Hopefully, that will translate into a faster spear. Time will tell.

Last edited by Andersp90; 10-07-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #35
SEATUX

This entire discussion is insane!
Just take a magic marker and draw a line around the center of the band where the intended cut line is, now pretend you cut it and glued it back together, there you go, it is magically spliced together on the cut line, how much difference in power are you getting now!
And That is better than your idea of using "piercings"...you know of cource when you use those and tie the bands you have lost usable material that would have stretched..
Like I said, this is insane.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #36
jfjf

I've done this experiment already. I cut my speargun bands into an infinite number of segments (of infinitesimal length) and then glued them back together in series. I didn't get supersonic speeds.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #37
musubi

I don't think using body jewelry to join two rubbers is safe.
When are you going to do your experiment?
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #38
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I've done this experiment already. I cut my speargun bands into an infinite number of segments (of infinitesimal length) and then glued them back together in series. I didn't get supersonic speeds.
Yea, one of the thought processes I go thru to is to bring the experiment to absurd levels in both directions in order to create an outcome that is more easily understood. I didn't have to do this in order to understand this outcome...but still, it's a valuable tool for quick analysis.

Andersp90, don't think we're giving you a hard time out of meanness. I'm pretty sure everyone enjoys you posting the question. It's at least thought provoking and entertaining.
Be cautious of what body jewelry you intend to use. I've seen too many instances of use on people whereby the flesh doesn't snap back...ears for example.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 10-07-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #39
popgun pete

A picture is worth a thousand words. If we shorten the bands we only get half the draw, so the spear would only be propelled on the gun body for half the distance acheived before, so we don't gain anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xxt.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	244200  

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-07-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added another graph at lower right
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #40
AEgir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersp90 View Post
I am referring to a proven principle I learned in muscle physiology in medschool.
This is why I don't trust my doctor to be my car mechanic.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 AM   #41
Andersp90

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
I don't think using body jewelry to join two rubbers is safe.
When are you going to do your experiment?
Im not planning to use jewelry. Im planning to use a straight wishbone. I even provided you with a link to someone who might be able to make them. The picture what just to show what it would look like.

Here is the link again: http://www.huntechnology.it/en/ogivepiercing.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I didn't get supersonic speeds.
Ofc you wouldent. Just like you dont have supersonic muscles. But if muscle A is 10 times longer than muscle B, A will be 10 times faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Yea, one of the thought processes I go thru to is to bring the experiment to absurd levels in both directions in order to create an outcome that is more easily understood. I didn't have to do this in order to understand this outcome...but still, it's a valuable tool for quick analysis.
So you still dont think that linking contractile units in series, will increase speed?
Old 10-08-2019, 01:20 AM   #42
popgun pete

Energy stored in the bands gets turned into kinetic energy of the spear and to a lesser extent the gun because the diver is holding it. To increase the velocity or acceleration of the spear the extra energy would have to come from somewhere and chopping the bands up into segments does not do that. To think otherwise would be like believing in a perpetual motion machine.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #43
Andersp90

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Energy stored in the bands gets turned into kinetic energy of the spear and to a lesser extent the gun because the diver is holding it. To increase the velocity or acceleration of the spear the extra energy would have to come from somewhere and chopping the bands up into segments does not do that. To think otherwise would be like believing in a perpetual motion machine.
If you release the same amount of energy, but in half the time, wont that translate into speed?
Old 10-08-2019, 01:45 AM   #44
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersp90 View Post
If you release the same amount of energy, but in half the time, wont that translate into speed?
No, kinetic energy is given by 1/2 mass x velocity squared. To double the velocity we would need 4 times the energy. KE1 = 1/2 M.V1^2 and if V2 = V1 X2 then KE2 = 1/2 M.V2^2 = 1/2 M.(V1 X 2)^2 = 1/2 M. V1^2 X 4.

Power is the rate of doing work, and energy is the same as work. Using the energy in a shorter burst does not buy any more velocity as you only have the same amount of energy in either case.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:59 AM   #45
Andersp90

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
No, kinetic energy is given by 1/2 mass x velocity squared. To double the velocity we would need 4 times the energy. KE1 = 1/2 M.V1^2 and if V2 = V1 X2 then KE2 = 1/2 M.V2^2 = 1/2 M.(V1 X 2)^2 = 1/2 M. V1^2 X 4.

Power is the rate of doing work, and energy is the same as work. Using the energy in a shorter burst does not buy any more velocity as you only have the same amount of energy in either case.
Im having a really hard time wrapping my head around why linking sarcomers will inscrease speed, but not rubbers.

Last edited by Andersp90; 10-08-2019 at 02:10 AM.