Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Nathan Florian

Another Great White!

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news..._shark_ci.html

There seems to be an influx of shark sightings over the past few years in general. Populations must be rebounding...
Nathan Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
grey2112

Re: Another Great White!

I think its all those divers here and on the east coast feeding them - LOL. Idiots.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Nathan, it's that time of year I guess. Thanks for sharing, Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Nathan Florian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Nathan, it's that time of year I guess. Thanks for sharing, Tony

I think Sharks in general have rebounded. Up until last year, I had NEVER seen a Tiger Shark off of Homosasssa. We hooked one the last day of Gag season last year in 35' that was a 10'er. This past Saturday, while fishing the Cobia tournament we saw an even larger Tiger on some shallow water rocks in 12'. Several of my numbers NEVER had sharks on them and now they are almost as bad as the GG.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Florian View Post
I think Sharks in general have rebounded. Up until last year, I had NEVER seen a Tiger Shark off of Homosasssa. We hooked one the last day of Gag season last year in 35' that was a 10'er. This past Saturday, while fishing the Cobia tournament we saw an even larger Tiger on some shallow water rocks in 12'. Several of my numbers NEVER had sharks on them and now they are almost as bad as the GG.
Yes, I agree that there is definitely a surge in great white shark and tiger shark sightings. We are seeing both over here on the east coast of Florida.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
ktomlinson

Sharks are supposed to be there...the problem was when they weren't there. I've fought off bull sharks for my catch and don't particularly enjoy it, but it's part of spearing. Don't like sharks? Take up golf.
ktomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
Baldy

Send a message via MSN to Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomlinson View Post
Sharks are supposed to be there...the problem was when they weren't there. I've fought off bull sharks for my catch and don't particularly enjoy it, but it's part of spearing. Don't like sharks? Take up golf.
So I have heard many people bemoan the drop in shark populations when longliners were hammering them and talked about upsetting the ecosystem with fewer top predators but I've always been curious about what impact that had. Did we have more wounded, weak fish swimming around that would have been eaten by sharks? I didn't really notice that. I would assume that the crabs on the bottom would be happy if more dead stuff floated down to them. I'm not advocating an open season on sharks but really just want to know how we know that we missed having so many of them around in the last 20 years.
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
Nathan Florian

Quote:
I don't have a problem with sharks, and if I do they end up on the receiving end of my powerhead. I play lots of golf too
Old 06-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
ktomlinson

After a recent experience I do carry a power head, so I'm certainly for defending yourself. I have however spoken with divers that want to power head single sharks. I got one because I was circled by 5 bulls for 10 minutes (they were after my grouper, which they didn't get). At that point I figured out that 3 is about as many as I can fend off safely. I really only waded into the conversation because of your GG comment. They too are supposed to be there in greater numbers than the current pollution. Know how I know? Ask anyone that lived/fished in south Florida in the 1960s or before. The ocean shouldn't be managed with the goal of making spear fishing easier.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #10
Nathan Florian

Quote:
After a recent experience I do carry a power head, so I'm certainly for defending yourself. I have however spoken with divers that want to power head single sharks. I got one because I was circled by 5 bulls for 10 minutes (they were after my grouper, which they didn't get). At that point I figured out that 3 is about as many as I can fend off safely. I really only waded into the conversation because of your GG comment. They too are supposed to be there in greater numbers than the current pollution. Know how I know? Ask anyone that lived/fished in south Florida in the 1960s or before. The ocean shouldn't be managed with the goal of making spear fishing easier.
I can assure you that there are PLENTY of them in my area. How many dives do you have in my area? South Florida isn't Homosassa and my comment was based on years of diving THIS area and a factual statement that we have more sharks and GG than in years past. Anyone that dives these waters can attest to that. You really should stop reading and believing the propaganda that the "experts" are putting out there on the population stocks of various species, 90% of it is skewed, total bullshit that is driven by tree hugging lobbyist that have more education than common sense. It sounds to me like you may be one of those types.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
ktomlinson

I've dove your area at least 100 times, but don't claim to know your home waters like you do. I dove the Castor wreck off of Boynton this past Sunday and saw 18. What I'm saying is that there used to by 18 on every reef. When GG are sufficient in an area they naturally spread out. An animal native to its environment isn't going to eat itself out of existence, it's existence says so. What I'm saying isn't propaganda, just ask someone 75+ that grew up on the water in Florida how many GG there used to be. I spearfish just like you, and enjoy the hell out of every minute of it, but some things are just what they are.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #12
Nathan Florian

Quote:
I've dove your area at least 100 times, but don't claim to know your home waters like you do. I dove the Castor wreck off of Boynton this past Sunday and saw 18. What I'm saying is that there used to by 18 on every reef. When GG are sufficient in an area they naturally spread out. An animal native to its environment isn't going to eat itself out of existence, it's existence says so. What I'm saying isn't propaganda, just ask someone 75+ that grew up on the water in Florida how many GG there used to be. I spearfish just like you, and enjoy the hell out of every minute of it, but some things are just what they are.

You are totally missing what I have stated. Its common knowledge that there were more fish of ALL species 50+ years ago....that was a different time and era. What you are spewing are comments that are merely your opinion on what you perceive to be factual. 18 on EVERY reef you say? LOL! Did you count them and give each one a name?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Florian View Post
I can assure you that there are PLENTY of them in my area. How many dives do you have in my area? South Florida isn't Homosassa and my comment was based on years of diving THIS area and a factual statement that we have more sharks and GG than in years past. Anyone that dives these waters can attest to that. You really should stop reading and believing the propaganda that the "experts" are putting out there on the population stocks of various species, 90% of it is skewed, total bullshit that is driven by tree hugging lobbyist that have more education than common sense. It sounds to me like you may be one of those types.
So what does "plenty" mean? Plenty for what.... to catch them? Your back yard has been mine for many years now so I can speak with some relevance on GG population. Yes, GGs have made a solid comeback but not to a point where a handful of people couldn't put their population back to the stone age in a week or two. Other than you having to deal with the trained to eat beasts on known wrecks and ledges... what are your issues with them? If it's just an itchy trigger finger, I understand and relief will be here July 1st as there is plenty of fat gags to be shot........ more than I've seen in years right in your back yard.

Last edited by kmoose; 06-11-2015 at 10:45 AM.
kmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #14
waterstone

Here now meditating on greener pastures and the shark who almost hugged a tree is this news lead today:

OAK HILL, Fla. - Authorities say a shark was killed in a Florida traffic accident...
waterstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #15
ktomlinson

If sharks are getting killed in traffic accidents maybe there are too many of them! Nathan Florian is the epitome of what is wrong with this country. You try and teach someone about something and when it conflicts with what they think they know they call it propaganda. I've got this guy thinking I'm a tree hugger because I have educated myself on GG (common sense is over rated Nathan, pick up a book once in a while). On a different forum I have people thinking I'm indifferent or worse, against the environment because I didn't think that picking up an octopus was the end of the world. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own set of facts.