Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
UaVaj

Re: What is the Best Training/Classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg John View Post
I have to admit the idea of spearfishing at 150 feet with no bubbles sounds worth cashing out my lightly used jet ski.
do keep us posted.

i ready to drop 12k and move back to the mid west florida.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #17
Knightlife

Send a message via AIM to Knightlife

Good reading. Thanks for feedback.
Knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #18
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

How about some technically spearfishing instruction around tampa?? Who's the man around here??
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
waterpirate

By far the best technical training you can recieve is, ongoing training. Tech, especially tech spearing is something not learned well over a couple weekends. Try and find the best local guy to train with and stay under their guidance for as long as they are willing to mentor you, post class. Here in the mid atlantic tech training is a PITA due to blow outs,vis, ect., but we have seen piss results from the people who go down to fla and simmilar to train and then come back here to dive. Bottom line is train where you dive and hope to find an instructor that will give give ongoing mentoring.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
bamafan

In the Tampa area most people use cave diving for tech training. Be careful though I started cave diving to get my tech training and got hooked. There are several tech instructors in the area. Depth Perception is the one I am familiar with. Bert Wilcher is another good instructor in the area but I don't know what shop he is teaching out of since he closed his shop on Fowler.

Tech diving is a different mentality than spearfishing. It is all about redundancy and planning how to survive when the sh.. hits the fan. I can't ever remeber turning a dive spearfishing with 2600 psi in my tank but I do it all the time tech diving. To dive in the depth range you are talking about you would probably do an intro to tech class ( in the Tampa area cavern is often substituted for this) followed by advanced nitrox / deco procedures then helitrox. A lot of these classes can be combined find an instructor that you like. Any good instructor will be glad to talk to you before taking any classes and answering any questions you might have. No matter how good of a diver you think you are a cavern class is a humbling experience.
bamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Thanks fellas,

I can absolutely see myself in a cave however i would rather learn from a spearo for spearfishing technically, and a caver for cave diving.

After looking a little im thinking my best bet is a trip over to the east coast. I would rather do it in gulf waters where i dive but a great instructor there is better than a no name here. If i can find someone here with even comparable hours of spearo instruction i would bite but Im not finding him so far.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #22
UaVaj

I too - currently considering trimix and there is not a spearo tech instructor to be found. most instructors that I contacted so far - have heads too big yet only understanding perfect dive senario while sight seeing and blowing bubbles.

btw. any word on that CCR spearing for GOM?1
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
Crappincash

When it comes to technical spearfishing, there are many points made during this thread and many points that need to be considered. Especially since there is no training for “technical spearfishing” as it does not exist.

First break down each aspect into component. Spearfishing, diving and then technical diving. In each, look at all the tasks at hand. Given that task loading and ability to handle such tasks under pressure is the first that will cause your early expiration in diving, it should be first considered. Each aspect contributes its own and sometimes combined tasks to overcome.

Second is RISK. As a spearfisher and cave and technical instructor with dives way below the threshold of all technical training agencies, I can assure you a huge amount of risk will need to be considered if you are even thinking about technical spearfishing.
As someone posted, get with a person who does exactly what you want. Where can this person be found will be the hardest part of your training. There are spearfishers, technical divers and instructors as well as cave divers and instructors. As a shop owner, I can say I have only been in the presence of and heard of only 2 people who do all three. I am sure these people exist but are not well known due to the amount of time they spend in all three areas of their expertise.

Thirdly, look at the reward. Is it rewarding to have a very large fish and be dead? Think about this?? Here is the issue you will face.

1. What is the depth of the water I am over? (Need to know because you will not know where the fish is until you get to it).
2. What mix do I need? Air or Trimix? If Trimix then what percentages?
3. Can I handle the task at hand and make it back to the surface?
This is the biggest challenge. Everything right up till you pull the trigger is a cakewalk as long as you have the proper training. Once you pull that trigger, all hell will break loose even if you stone the fish. Now you have your big fish and deco commitment. Even if the deco is mild, it is a long time to be in the water with tons of gear, extra bottles and a huge fish! Not to mention you are now the stuffing with the Thanksgiving turkey to any predator that is hungry. Best bet at this point is to blow the bag with fish attached and send it up to the guys on the boat. Just remember this needs to be clear of any overhead structure which leaves you in open water floating on a deco line in a drift.
I’m not trying to scare anyone off but this is the task at hand which you all are asking about. It is not impossible but to answer the original question, there is no instruction or training. Only advice and the advice is only an opinion or at best a run of good luck for the guy who pulled it off. It is a trial and error type of sport.

Ok, So who wants to go do some deep sea spearfishing????
Crappincash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
Crappincash

There is no CCR spearfishing in Gulf waters anywhere whith State Waters of Florida.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

If I see someone in 40 feet of water with a ccr I'm going to laugh at them. Any federal restrictions you know of?

Dose shooting fish inside the sheridan count as technical spearfishing? Lol.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Old 10-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
Crappincash

There are no fed restrictions that I know of. I recently moved to Florida(Panacea) and have only fished here a few times. I am very verse on Texas Rules. There CCR is legal for fish that are not on the game fish list by TPWD. We always went out 100 miles plus to federal waters on the rigs. Depths to 480' on some. Lots of huge fish but could bag our limit by freediving. Florida is way more protective. While Pompano are legal in Texas, I hear don't get caught with one in Florida. Might as well take a Jew and have something to talk about!! CCR has just been deemed as cheating. I love fishing and the more challenging the more I like it. Something about swimming up to a fish on a CCR and shooting it is just not me. Now if you were to take a crack at it with a 6" knife.....Well I might go for that. Be like stalking a deer and running it down with a spear like in the old days. I have made several dives on The Oriskany on CCR and have seen some really big fish and thought what a trip that would be. But seriously, who wants to make it that easy? For those that do, Publix sells it already wrapped and the biggest fight you have is driving on the road to get there.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #27
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

I'm all about cheating;

-Stage of nitrous on my turbo car.
-Drag racing for money with my 10 second stock looking sentra.
-Hog hunting with night vision and a ar-10 out the bed of a truck after prebaiting with said truck for a month.
-Deer hunting with a rifle.
-Spearfishing.
-Spearfishing on scuba.
-Spearfishing over bait on scuba.
-Holding my breath while spearfishing on scuba.

Like my high school wrestling coach used to say, "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying, and if you get caught, then you weren't trying hard enough".

I would not label technical diving easy even if its just sight seeing. I like to go deep and i like to shot fish so I'm sure i would like going deep and shooting fish.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #28
waterpirate

I am not advocating law breaking, but.... to whack a big fish at depth 150fsw+ on a breather is only the beginning. It may be easier to get the shot, but what follows is not. Task loading on a breather at trimix depths is contra indicated to survival.
Eric
Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #29
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post
I am not advocating law breaking, but.... to whack a big fish at depth 150fsw+ on a breather is only the beginning. It may be easier to get the shot, but what follows is not. Task loading on a breather at trimix depths is contra indicated to survival.
Eric
Excellent point, i have read it's alot easier to over breathe on the loop, David Shaw comes to mind.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #30
waterpirate

There are way more people on that list then David Shaw. When it gets interesting at depth, sans a stone shot. On a breather you have the choice of trusting your electronics while your brain is elsewhere, or adding to the task loading by flying manual. To me I prefer breath in breath out and subdue the fish, to the above scenario on the loop.

Eric