Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
captain.ed

New Enclosed Track Gun

A couple of months back I decided I wanted to build a few spearguns so I started scouring the forums and online stores. I had bought some float lines and pigtails from Neptonics a couple of years back and liked dealing with them then so I figured they'd probably be a good place to start.
So about three weeks ago I contacted Jeff at Neptonics about some gun making supplies. I was taking a road trip up to Tampa so I decided to stop by and see the shop and put my hands on everything before I purchased my trigger mechs...really glad I did. Jeff, Ryan and Jerry were there and they spent a couple of hours with me explaining the differences between the products and trying to get me set up with everything I needed. They were GREAT!

I talked with a couple of the guys in the dive shop about what they wanted in a gun and built it pretty much to their specs. They wanted an enclosed track because they freeshaft most of the time. They also wanted a spare shaft holder (I'll add that in the next day or two). They also wanted a gun that is negatively buoyant so it doesn't float away from them if they are messing w/ a big fish; I am going to cast lead plates in multiple weights and powder coat them so they can be interchangeable...more on that later.

I picked up a little wood on my way back to the Keys and got started! So I cut my wood...

I purchased 8/4 wood so I stuck w/ a simple two piece lamination.

I really didn't take any "in progress" shots but believe me, there was a little head scratching going on while I tried to make everything fit and get it "just right". I do think the finished product came out pretty nice.

Band Slot and Cut Muzzle for Band Change

Line Guide/Groove

Line Anchor

Handle and Butt (yes, that's a Quicksilver Flipflop...Pro-Tip-buy the biggest size you can get so you can get more use out of it.)

Trigger Mech and Safety (I've already cleaned up the safety area and refinished the surface...it looks really nice now). As you can see, I didn't measure the width of the safety and just assumed it was 1/2 inch. Consequently, there is a little room for it to wiggle back and forth. Doesn't effect the performance but it bugs the crap out of me.

More of the handle/grip and trigger.

The Track goes from 5/16 to 3x8ths at this point. I occasionally blast fish point blank and wanted to be sure the shaft cleared the enclosed portion of the track.

This is it...

I figure I've spent 200 hours over the past two months reading posts and searching topics. I've got to say that I appreciate all the knowledge being shared and the forum members who have contributed and replied to other people’s threads over the past few years. I couldn't have done without you guys...

I'll talk about lessons learned later in the thread.

Last edited by captain.ed; 11-05-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: image links are broken
captain.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: New Enclosed Track Gun

We can find them by going to the dropbox you are using.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/knf9mipy0d...60105.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dksi2rbt03...60750.jpg?dl=0
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
captain.ed

Re: New Enclosed Track Gun

Cool, I rewrote the thread when I saw the broken links.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk