Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Augie

Question Green pea of free.... Help??

I am heading to the coast (garibaldi area) to try free diving spearfishing on thursday.... 7/21/11 for the FIRST time with 2 of my buddies i have all the equipment i think... haha SOOOO STOKED and excited... never done this before i am not scuba cert. but i am taking a trip to costa rica and panama on the 15th of august where i will be certified there. I have a couple questions if anybody can help?? I am a complete newb.

1) do i need a liscence?
2) would low or high tide be the best?
3) as far as safety and rules and regulation what do i need??
4) not expecting anybody to give away a fishing spot but maybe point me in a good area for my first time?? (tillamook bay area)

Thanks for any info or help!!! this website is awesome and looks like a great community of people...

Cheers... AUGIE
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Re: Green pea of free.... Help??

To answer you questions:

1) If you take fish you'll need a fishing license. If you take shell fish only, you'll need a shell fish license only.

2) For vis the incoming tide is usually best. I try to be in the water 45min to an hour before the high. The current can still be pushing then so use caution. Also, don't trust tide predictions 100%.

3) The question of safety can probably be addressed best by reading this thread: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=126603. As for regulations:2 ling 22" min, 7 ground fish (blacks, blues, greenling, rock greenling), 1 cabazone (part of the ground fish limit). 12 male crabs 5 3/4"min.

4) For Tillamook, I prefer the Barview jetty (anywhere along it really, but you might want to start closer to the bay our first time). If that looks unfavorable, try the Three Graces (just up the road towards garibaldi from barview). Around the furthest west rock there is some nice structure and it's pretty shallow.

Be safe! Diving within you limits and good luck!
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Istickfish

I dove in the ocean last week for the first time (been in fresh water for years) and I would suggest Netarts bay. Plenty of big perch if you want something to shoot and lots of crab on the bottom. We were successful in both netarts and tillamook bay but netarts was by far the easier dive. Saw lots of sea life on the bottom. We dove the incoming tide at 6:30 am and had the whole bay to ourselves until the first boat showed up at 8.
Istickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
mepps1

I can recommend Barview for fish. Netarts for loads of tasty crab in fairly harmless surroundings. Watch out for boats.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Augie

Thank you all for your kind help im soooo excited!!!! I think netarts sounds good to me.... I cannot wait great way to celibrate my b day!!! hahaha I have my fishing and shellfish tags already so i guess im ready to go out and get some dinner!!!! I will let you guys know how i do and hopefully see you guys out there someday.

Cheers!!
AUGIE
Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Augie

Thanks for all the help and reccomendations. Me and my buddy started off in the garibaldi area in the bay by the coast guard stations... VIZ was 2-3 feet so we packed up pretty quick and headed to barview and jumped in right off the jetty the viz was better but still only about 4-5 feet. Caught 3 rock crabs good size and then decided it was about 2 hours before hight tide so we headed to a place called anchor hole... 3 rocks or whatever but that place was the best place to dive... viz was up to 8-9 feet, shot at a couple fish no luck hahaha but still i guess its all about goin out and having fun and that it was.... took home 9 crab to boil up and eat... legal size of course... but thanks for all the help and i will be back out this thursday for sure....
Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
North Star
Max

Augie - good report. You aim will improve. I couldn't hit anything when I first started spearing. Focus on a specific spot on the fish rather than looking at your gun or trying to sight down it.

Focus on the fish - a specific spot on the fish - while looking over the top of your gun, and it seems your hand naturally points the gun to that spot, and then squeeze it off. Practice makes perfect. You kind of have to learn your gun and where it shoots, and understand that even the best of us of still miss from time to time.

In the meantime - enjoy the crab!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Augie

hahaha thank you,

I will defineatly try that, i was target practicing with kelp haha i will take your advice next time im out!!. I will be leaving for costa rica and panama on the 15th of August sailing around for most of the time unitll september.... Found out today that i can put a speargun in my baggage so hopefully its game over for the fish down there!!! Again, thank you for the help and support.. Untill next time knock em dead.

-Augie