Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
rowow

Re: Sharkbanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionfishStabber View Post
I haven't really kept up with this, but I did know the guy who was originally testing this whole rare-earth magnet thing with sharks in the Bahamas back about ten years ago. It seemed to work pretty well, but it was very short-ranged. The tests I saw involved flipping a small shark over into tonic immobility and waving the magnet under its nose, which had about the same effect as dumping an ice bucket on a sleeping person's face - it snapped right out of tonic and thrashed out of the researcher's grip.

I don't know if the guy is still involved with Sharkbanz, but to me it seems more targeted at swimmers and surfers who have to contend with ankle-biters in murky water. The bulk of the shark bites in Florida are nips right off the beach from little blacktips and spinners that mistake a hand or a foot for a fish in the surf. I've also wondered personally if it would be a good idea to strap a couple to my ankles to shoo the stingrays off when I go wading in the grass flats. I think the other application they were looking at was to put them on hooks for tuna and swordfish longlines to cut down on the shark bycatch.

Aside from the range issue, it's also a magnet - which means getting it anywhere near your dive computer, a GoPro, or other electronics could be problematic.
GoPros and most electronics are fine. This isn't a 20lb neodymium magnet or anything. If its near a dive computer it can effect its compass, but as you stated yourself its short range wont have much a effect. As for everything else I fully agree. This is clearly not snake oil garbage as some people claim and has a effect. It may not be as effective as a $600 Shark Shield, but it also only costs 1/10 the price, while requiring no batteries, no stinging electric wire, or any other complexities.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #17
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionfishStabber View Post
I haven't really kept up with this, but I did know the guy who was originally testing this whole rare-earth magnet thing with sharks in the Bahamas back about ten years ago. It seemed to work pretty well, but it was very short-ranged. The tests I saw involved flipping a small shark over into tonic immobility and waving the magnet under its nose, which had about the same effect as dumping an ice bucket on a sleeping person's face - it snapped right out of tonic and thrashed out of the researcher's grip.

I don't know if the guy is still involved with Sharkbanz, but to me it seems more targeted at swimmers and surfers who have to contend with ankle-biters in murky water. The bulk of the shark bites in Florida are nips right off the beach from little blacktips and spinners that mistake a hand or a foot for a fish in the surf. I've also wondered personally if it would be a good idea to strap a couple to my ankles to shoo the stingrays off when I go wading in the grass flats. I think the other application they were looking at was to put them on hooks for tuna and swordfish longlines to cut down on the shark bycatch.

Aside from the range issue, it's also a magnet - which means getting it anywhere near your dive computer, a GoPro, or other electronics could be problematic.
Your post mirrors what the manufacturer claims... It's targeted for surfers and beach goers, not divers and certainly not spearos.

The OP was inquiring about an incident that involved a white shark, even the manufacturer wouldn't claim it to be effective against that species.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #18
captain.ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by U/C Spearo View Post
I know a lot of you Florida divers have had shark encounters. I was wondering if you knew of anyone that ever use the magnet technology in the sharkbanz. I recently had a friend get attacked by a great white (survived). After the attack a group of us started talking about a Sharkshield and someone brought up the Skarkbanz product. Thanks
Sharkshield just lowered it's prices. The units are now $499usd. They work and I wear one when I spear. I also carry them in my shop. Message me if anyone wants one.

Ed M.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
Lazy Bones

3 of us wore them for a week of diving in AI last year. Didn't really believe in it, but figured it couldn't hurt.

The galapagos sharks there are very numerous, but not quite the disposition of local and Bahamas sharks. I wore it on my ankle. I figure that I am usually pretty aware of my hands, but my legs are just dangling.

I would say that all three of us agreed that it did effect the sharks. Some would come close and inexplicably vear away when they got close to our legs.

I don't believe that it will stop a charged up shark intent on malice. My invisible fence works pretty well for my dog, but sometime's he's willing to take the hit. Same with the sharks. If it possibly buys me a little deterrence or time, I'm ok with it.
Lazy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #20
HurricaneBK

From a testing standpoint, the electrical field produced by a Sharkbanz, if any is produced at all, is objectively measurable.

From Sharkbanz's reply to CuzzA's linked Youtube video found here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY6U9j3ZVes
Quote:
Sharkbanz do not use batteries and rely on the earth's magnetic field to generate electricity. Movement is essential to create this electrical field. As the magnet passes through air or water, voltage is created. When the product is static, as you have it in the test while attached to the pole, no voltage is created, so the shark approaches undeterred.
Sharkbanz is clearly and explicitly claiming their product produces electricity when the user is wearing it. Someone wearing a Sharkbanz should be able to move their wrist while their buddy measures the electrical field being generated and it's radius from the device. There's no magic here, we can relatively easily measure the extent of an electric field in the ocean, if a measurable field is created when Sharkbanz moves - maybe they're on to something and then we could compare it to the strength of the field generated by a SharkShield.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #21
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: Sharkbanz

This post below best reflects my personal experience with the Shark Shield as a very early adopter of the technology. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Bones View Post
3 of us wore them for a week of diving in AI last year. Didn't really believe in it, but figured it couldn't hurt.

The galapagos sharks there are very numerous, but not quite the disposition of local and Bahamas sharks. I wore it on my ankle. I figure that I am usually pretty aware of my hands, but my legs are just dangling.

I would say that all three of us agreed that it did effect the sharks. Some would come close and inexplicably vear away when they got close to our legs.

I don't believe that it will stop a charged up shark intent on malice. My invisible fence works pretty well for my dog, but sometime's he's willing to take the hit. Same with the sharks. If it possibly buys me a little deterrence or time, I'm ok with it.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 AM   #22
Manavie

I started out with a SharkShield, then switched to smaller ESDS (electronic but with no tail), and now
finally use 5 Sharkbanz. Have had no close encounters with sharks. I live in Hawaii and spearfish. I'd say if you live in an area with very aggressive sharks and you feel it very calming to wear a device then spend the money, your leg is worth $300-$700. I wear a sharkbanz on each appendage and one on my waistbelt. It helps me relax and that is worth the $300. If a shark is curious and gets really close, I feel they are like an extra set of eyes on the back of my head. They have been shown to create a response that could give me a few moments of decisive action and that is enough for me IN THE AREA AND SITUATIONS I USE IT FOR. Everyone is in different situations and should decide based on that personal criteria. If I was diving with aggressive makos or great whites I would personally feel the safest with a sharkshield. (On a hilarious side note, the tail of my sharkshield, with my type of drops, would sometimes shock me
in the head, felt like getting whacked with a stick and would scare the shit out of me but i would find a way to dive with it and it would be worth it to me if need be. Its also great when you shock your partner )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manavie is offline   Reply With Quote