Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 The Blue Wild Expo - February 23-24, 2013

2013 The Blue Wild Expo - February 23-24, 2013 This is a world-class spearfishing, diving and water sports event with 1,000s of participants at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #31
sbh

Re: (New!!!) Blue Wild Photo/Video Contest

If u need a judge next year George Schelenger is a friend /patient of mine....he has been doing a fair amt of filming uw for national geographic, with wyland, and several other big name guys. Mostly sharks and pelagics. Just throwing it out there...he lives in fit lauderdale too
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #32
Sheri
So Little Time

Brent, I would love to have someone like George as a judge. I think it's a good idea to change judges from year to year anyway. Do you think he would be willing?

Heck, he sounds like good speaker material too. I'd love to hear a NatGeo videographer talk about his adventures in the ocean. They lead fascinating lives, but you rarely hear from the man behind the camera.

Could ya start buttering him up now, maybe?
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #33
Blackstone
Arkansauce

Kraken's video was clearly the best IMO. The production value alone, beats the others. His showed over a dozen different species, different techniques with multiple angles, varied locations, several different guns as well as pole spears, very well edited. Could be a commerical. This seemed like a no brainer to an outsider/unbiased opinion.
Blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #34
ApneaAddict

Sheri, you mentioned that the judges had scored the videos in some way. Would you mind sharing with us the general criteria on which the videos were judged to produce the score you mentioned?

I mean no offense, but to be completely frank, my first impression when I watched the winning videos (prior to finding this thread) was that either the competition was rigged or some sort of error had been made. Seeing that you were involved in organizing the competition gives me a level of confidence that neither of those was the case, as you seem like an honorable person and I suspect that you would not allow such a thing to occur.

I suppose its both common and annoying to have people complaining about the outcome of a fairly run competition, but I'm afraid that I just cannot fathom how a video the quality of Nolan's was ranked below the video that was awarded 2nd place. Perhaps an understanding of how the videos were judged would help to shed some light on this for me/us. Thanks.

Last edited by ApneaAddict; 03-04-2013 at 11:35 PM.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #35
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Maybe it was fish size
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #36
Holy Mackerel

Is there a link with the top 10 videos?
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #37
Sheri
So Little Time

It was a fairly simple process. Dimitris Kollias from Greece, owner and editor of Deep Magazine, was the Video coordinator. He has produced 112 DVD's and done many of hours of filming/editing. He alone narrowed down to the Top Ten from about 35 entries. Then, the four judges gave a score to these resulting in the Top Three. The judges were not given any specific criteria other than "give them a score from 1 to 5". That's it.

I just watched Kraken's video for the first time. I like it a lot -- great job. But my personal favorite is another video that no one has even mentioned yet. It's obviously a subjective process. If we had entry fees, I would offer to return it.

I am thinking that the Spearfishing Video part of the competition will be eliminated going forward -- for several reasons -- one of them being that these volunteers don't need to have their honor questioned. So we will probably just have a short Film Festival so everyone can show off and only keep the Underwater Photo Competition next year.

Thanks again to everyone that made it possible. Sorry for any hurt feelings.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #38
naich
jetty jumper

link to top ten? can't find on youtube..
naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #39
Wile E. Coyote

No more complaints next year now!
Good work
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #40
Powers
Dad

Personally, I hope for two things:

Sheri, I hope you won't be discouraged by the difficulties encountered in initiating a fun new event for the Blue Wild. I enjoyed the videos and hope to see this contest featured again next year and always. The Blue Wild is a thing of beauty and scenes from the sea can only add to that. Obviously, the rules can be amended between now and then so entrants will have a clearer picture of the requirements.

Entrants, I hope you will not be discouraged by the speed bumps encountered in the first of what can and should become a great annual event. We have among us some excellent photographers and videographers, and a competition like this can spark some great work and adds to an already strong artistic air at the Blue Wild.

To all offering input, I'd suggest we keep our criticism constructive so that those who VOLUNTEERED to put on this FREE contest will be inspired to make positive adjustments to the format instead of discouraged from ever doing it again.

Sheri, thanks for another outstanding event. Entrants, thanks for adding some beautiful content to the show. Please do it again next year.

Will
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #41
OutdoorCatholic
† Catholic Spearo †

I don't think there's a critical mass of people who are questioning the judges' honor, no matter what happened or how clear things were you will always have the tin-foil hats to question what's going on. Personally, as someone with no skin in the game, I was very shocked to find that Kraken's video didn't place near the top. It is probably one of the best short videos, spearfishing or not, that I've seen in a while and I think it's more a matter of confusion and disbelief as to how a video like that could not even place than a statement of whether or not the judges are somehow "fixed." This is of course a truly silly idea considering they're guest/volunteer judges with almost nothing to gain or lose from giving their opinion on a spearo's video. My response when I saw the various videos was "there must have been some sort of mistake" or "maybe his Riffe advertising within the video disqualified him based on a rule I hadn't heard of."
OutdoorCatholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #42
Putmeincoach
Nate

Send a message via Skype™ to Putmeincoach

I understand that everybody has different opinions, and that's a good thing. However, Kraken's video didn't even make the top 10. The top 10 videos were picked by one individual, meaning that the actual judges never even evaluated Kraken's video. It's extremely odd that the single video that the general spearo public is raving about didn't even make the top 10.. it doesn't even remotely make sense. I also understand that it was a free competition, however the contestants do invest their time and pride. It's nothing short of an insult for his video to not have made the top 10. If it made top 10 and the judges decided it wasn't worthy of top 3, then fine.. but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I've watched many of Dimitris Kollias' videos, and I do have the utmost respect for his videography and editing skills. The fact that he's extremely accomplished doesn't change the fact that this situation stinks and Kraken got the shaft with no apparent explanation.
Putmeincoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #43
isotopez

Limiting the videos to not include copyrighted music will change the game for next year but it's definitely necessary. You can run into some serious issues with people making any money off the contest and including copyrighted stuff.
isotopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #44
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

I personally saw this video contest as a great learning experience for myself. For those of you that have not seen my video entry, you can watch it by clicking the link below.

Best of 2012 - Spearfishing in the Florida Keys - YouTube.

From being at the Blue Wild and watching the different videos at the many booths and also watching these top three videos, I've learned alot about what I should do to better my future videos. I also spoke with Ryan McInnis, from In-Sea TV about video editing and he gave me some good tips. Sheri, one suggestion is maybe think of adding Ryan as a judge for the next years contest. He knows a lot about underwater videos and photography, as well as editing.

I don't think my video even came close to comparing to Nolan's, Dan's or the first place video. Of course when something is judged on almost personal opinions, there is going to be controversy. I really don't care that I didn't even place top ten. At first I was bummed, but then again, I realized I still have a lot to learn!

I plan on using everything I learned from this contest and the Blue Wild in general, and making an even better video for next year. On a side note, I also just purchased a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition!
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #45
macsub

I would love to watch all the contest videos too, just for entertainment and learning purposes.

I couldn’t attend the event so I have only watched those posted here.

If you have links to the other videos, please add them to the list so everyone can watch them.

First Place:

"Mediterranean Dreams" - Winner - BLUE WILD Spearfishing Video Contest 2013 - YouTube

2nd place:

Running of the Bulls - YouTube

3rd place:

Once in a Lifetime By Dan Silveira - YouTube

Keyskid:

Best of 2012 - Spearfishing in the Florida Keys - YouTube

Kraken:

The Blue Wild Spearfishing - YouTube

Macsub:

Hunting Mutton Snappers - Blue Wild 2013 - YouTube
Hunting Black Groupers - Blue Wild 2013 - YouTube
macsub is offline   Reply With Quote