Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #46
Bob Ballew

Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

While all of us have a protected 1st Amendment right to Free Speech and to post differing opinions (which should be protected), name calling and personal attacks should be called to task by the adults.....
...This type of b.s. is why many divers will no longer post or offer their knowledge to help others improve their game...More than once, I, like most of my friends who will no longer post anything, have been tempted to just drop out and leave the sites to the self-appointed critics with their overly inflated egos seemingly fueled by low self-esteem...(Hey, I read it in a psychology class)…..
...As adults, I think we can all do better...……………………………………………
...415 is police code for a "public disturbance", if that explains anything....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 08-01-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #47
carrasco

Thank you Bob,
That does explain a lot!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #48
LookPointShoot

Well yeah I went to Palapas Ventana and had a pretty shit time of it too. It mostly wasn't their fault. I went in 2015 so the water was 90 degrees on the surface and there was very little life.

I thought the place was pretty comfy and nice. We didn't have any breakdowns.

The only really lame thing I can remember was when we paid 75 bucks to go to mag bay because the fishing in La Paz was so terrible.

Our guide got lost on the way, took us almost to Loreto before he realized. Accidents happen. When we got there, the panguero was like "oh I didn't think you guys were coming" so he got the boat back in the water and we were off, just a couple hours later than expected.

We dove two spots, at the second spot I saw a lot of 15-20 lb broomtail and though I was tempted, I was told it was 1 grouper per diver per day max, period. So I didn't shoot them. When I got in the boat the guide said "man you shoulda shot em, we're about out of time." Which surprised me. Pretty short day. We dove one more spot for like half an hour and saw nothing but a couple roosters (which luckily I got to try before having a chance to shoot one, they are naaaasty, leave them alone.)

So we get back to La Paz and I was telling the other guide, the Bulgarian guy, about how it went and how I only saw those small fish. He says how deep were you going and I told him the spots were all in 25-45 feet of water.

He goes, "why didn't you try the deep spots? That's where all the bigger ones are."

I'm like "-_-"

a) because I don't f'ing know
b) that's why I have a GUIDE.

After getting down to La Paz and finding it was a complete desert, fine. Whatever. But when we have basically one day to dive a place that actually has fish and it was such a disaster, we all kinda felt like there were better places to go.

I was in a decent mood because I just finished taking the bar exam which back in my day was 3 full days and you didn't get the questions in advance so it sucked, I was happy to just be in Mexico with nothing to worry about.

Would I go back? ... no. Would I actively discourage anyone from going? Also no. One of the guys I went with had gone down a few years before on the same dates and it was WFO on the wahoo. But he also felt like maybe he'd rather try another area in the future. It's nothing against Palapas Ventana, it's just a VERY hit or miss place. It's a pretty long way to go and a bit of an investment for all or nothing diving.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #49
BKTIPS
BKTIPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
Brock,
I appreciate your explanation. Never the less, I find what you are saying difficult to believe only because, I saw the engine, (cowling removed) and saw first-hand the exact same starter. At this point, it is a matter of difference between what you say was done and what I actually saw.

Also, you must know that the intel on the old 2stroke Mercury motor failing 10 times before came directly from your staff.
Whats more, Tim stated that he acknowledged that the engine was problematic and that he was saving up to replace it.
Your operation is the only one I have ever been in that uses 2stroke Mercury engines! Even the Rosarito/Popotla Pangueros use 4stroke Yamahas.

In my previous three responses, I have stated that I am satisfied with what has been shared on all sides and prepared to let the matter rest.

You are of course welcome to continue the dialogue.

-OUT, OUT, OUT!
Sorry you think the starter looked like the same starter. Funny how the starters all look the same from the outside. Wish i could visually recognize a good and bad starter just by looking at them. Next time i will paint them different colors. We changed the starter. I have 2 on hand for every boat.

If you challenge my honesty i have to reply.

Brock Kennedy
General Manager
Palapas Ventana
BKTIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #50
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando8884 View Post
Shiz happens & it sucks! I personally know well over 50 people who have had exceptional experiences at PV. I'll consider PV as a 4.5 star Yelp review. Can't please everybody & it definitely sounds like an effort was made. I'll be planning a trip in the next few months. As for the TV thing, they should be banned in Baja!
(Response to a post that was deleted by Fernandito)

Dude,
Did you just recycle a post!

So, you know, not just 50 people, but 50 people that have all actually visited the place and, have somehow conveyed to you, that they all had a blast.

Sure Felipe!

YFOS- (Thats LEO CODE for “YOU’RE FULL OF S..T.”)

Please get away from your occupational habits and stop making up crap!

Last edited by carrasco; 08-02-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #51
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKTIPS View Post
Sorry you think the starter looked like the same starter. Funny how the starters all look the same from the outside. Wish i could visually recognize a good and bad starter just by looking at them. Next time i will paint them different colors. We changed the starter. I have 2 on hand for every boat.

If you challenge my honesty i have to reply.

Brock Kennedy
General Manager
Palapas Ventana
If you say you changed it then you changed it.

I can certainly tell the difference between a used starter and a new one though and what I saw, did look exactly like the one the previous day down to the oily residue.

The fact that you did change it with your Certified Mechanic sucks even worse though! How in the hell does a newly installed starter fail in less than 24hrs.

And how is a paying customer not supposed to get irate about that?

I guess anything is possible!

Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #52
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Quote:
(Response to a post that was deleted by Fernandito)

Dude,
Did you just recycle a post!

So, you know, not just 50 people, but 50 people that have all actually visited the place and, have somehow conveyed to you, that they all had a blast.

Sure Felipe!

YFOS- (Thats LEO CODE for “YOU’RE FULL OF S..T.”)

Please get away from your occupational habits and stop making up crap!
Now we know you're smoking crack. Nobody deleted anything. I thought you were out like 100 comments ago, somebody has a guilty conscience.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #53
Bob Ballew

Code 4 for ten minutes...I am out of popcorn!
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #54
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Code 4 for ten minutes...I am out of popcorn!
No popcorn needed, he's out
Old 08-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #55
carrasco

Fernandito,
Leave adult conversations to the adults, now run along!
No sea tonto mijo, no sea tonto!

Last edited by carrasco; 08-02-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #56
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

It was a good attempt to bad mouth a company. Stay in Rosarito with your TV. I'm sure you won't see this because you're "OUT".
Old 08-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #57
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando8884 View Post
It was a good attempt to bad mouth a company. Stay in Rosarito with your TV. I'm sure you won't see this because you're "OUT".
You mad brah?

Acá tengo tu chupón!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #58
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Hahahahaha hahahaha
Old 08-02-2019, 07:22 PM   #59
carrasco

You’re the best Fernando-
See you out there man!

Out!
Hahahaha!

Old 08-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #60
BKTIPS
BKTIPS

Quote:
If you say you changed it then you changed it.

I can certainly tell the difference between a used starter and a new one though and what I saw, did look exactly like the one the previous day down to the oily residue.

The fact that you did change it with your Certified Mechanic sucks even worse though! How in the hell does a newly installed starter fail in less than 24hrs.

And how is a paying customer not supposed to get irate about that?

I guess anything is possible!
And as i said the replacement starter did not fail. So a 24 hour failure was not the case. The monito failed and was replaced. Motor working great now and failed starter was rebuilt and now serving as our back up. It might have oily residue on it too when it is used
BKTIPS is offline   Reply With Quote