Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

A Fish Report: Sort of...

...Between high winds and the lockdown, info is in short supply...But, there may be a new game in town. At least six reports of albacore in local waters this month makes for interesting speculation. One report places albies six miles below San Clemente island. Another describes two Oregon based boats unloading albies in San Diego, with the crew stating the fish were 100 miles due west.
The last time these reports surfaced, one boat went out 100 miles and found the fish, coming in with a full load. When Dale Coty and I ran the red boat (a 23' Searay) out to Cortez Bank, we would always wonder what lay just a little further west? An unknown high spot, perhaps, that no one knew about?
...Anyway, based on my experiences, albies are a lot easier to catch or spear, than elusive bluefin. Throw a few live baits over and albies will come to the boat and even stay under it. Tuna are up and down in seconds.
...Once the facts are in (i.e. actual photos of albies on deck), then, it may be worth the time and effort to chase them out west. Still, April's Fool day falls in the month of April...….
….Boaters who go out and stay in Cat Harbor at Catalina to avoid people are facing a dilemma. You can anchor but, not rent a mooring. You can go ashore to use the dock outdoor toilets but, not walk across to the front side.
...This creates a danger to boaters, as I found out the hard way. Back in the day when I was a poor student/commercial diver, I would anchor to save money. One night, I awoke to my hull banging against wood. The anchor had pulled and the hull was slamming against the white sea bass growing pen, 400' further out.
...The northwest side is all cobblestone bottom and a Danforth (two points) won't hold in the small rocks. The inside is sand and mud, also a dicey proposition unless you have a scoop type anchor. I will sent a request to the Avalon city council to reconsider the no mooring use rule, just for that location. Water temps on the backside are 64-65 degrees in some spots with some blue water and a beautiful green carpeting the hills...Me? I am still at home supporting the lockdown, wishing I was at the east end light throwing up baitfish for the eagle to swoop down and catch....Of course, the kid plans to head out again on Friday......Update: 4 halibut, rockfish and lingcod..no yellows or wsb at San Nicolas island)...
...In other news,over 80% of commercial boats in Hawaii are tied to the dock, as the cost to make a run won't cover the price they are getting for their fish on shore..Same on the east coast, where buyers are not purchasing lobster, tuna and scallops. No one will pay $12 a pound for tuna or lobster when they can buy hot dogs for $4 a pound....
...Now, the good news: Gas is $ .98 a gallon in Ohio, premium is $2.39 at Costco and, the virus is the only thing Made in China that is long lasting....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-28-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
PigStikr
The Stalker

Re: A Fish Report: Sort of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
You can anchor but, not rent a mooring. You can go ashore to use the dock outdoor toilets but, not walk across to the front side.
...This creates a danger to boaters, as I found out the hard way. Back in the day when I was a poor student/commercial diver, I would anchor to save money. One night, I awoke to my hull banging against wood. The anchor had pulled and the hull was slamming against the white sea bass growing pen, 400' further out.
...The northwest side is all cobblestone bottom and a Danforth (two points) won't hold in the small rocks. The inside is sand and mud, also a dicey proposition unless you have a scoop type anchor. I will sent a request to the Avalon city council to reconsider the no mooring use rule, just for that location.
That would be helpful. Moreover, I think basic anchoring skills deserves it's own thread, so please have a look right hyar in this forum.
Oh, and I definitely have to admit an absolutely dumb anchor related incident in my younger days, too stupid to post here...

Last edited by PigStikr; 04-23-2020 at 06:24 PM.
PigStikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Pfish

Over here now. Blown out yesterday with bad viz Getting better today. Gail force winds at SB island and beyond dying tonight. No problems anchoring if you know where to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

Catalina virus update: LA county continues to show 0 cases of the virus in Avalon. In fact, there were two and the good news is; both have fully recovered. In checking, it seems the county does not post counts unless a small community has 5 or more cases.
...Up to date accurate counts can be found on the Catalina Island Medical Center website at: cimedicalcenter.org
Old 04-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Pfish

Catalina fish update: Wind died. Bad biz on west end. 12-15 at best. Patches of what looked like red tide at west end. Nothing heard and nothing seen. Give it some Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
Bob Ballew

...One more consideration on anchoring in Cat Harbor...The best anchorage is toward the outside on the s/e side near the "yacht club"...Good rocks and deeper water to hold in but, north/northwest winds can cause a dangerous situation, especially, if you aren't on board..
...Several times, while anchored there, sudden high winds came up for a short duration. I estimated one at 50-60 miles per hour. My anchor rope was twanging like a guitar string and the boat was bucking up and down like a bronco..To reduce the tension, I had to start the boat and put it in low forward gear for about 10 minutes until the wind storm abated. That freak storm blew over two toilets, sending them 50' inland....
...Survive enough incidents and you will become a genuine dyed in the wool mariner...
...Some good news for my critics...President Trump just announced that ICE will discontinue chasing illegals and start deporting us seniors....His logic is that they are easier to catch and won't remember how to find their way home...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-24-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:41 AM   #7
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
...One more consideration on anchoring in Cat Harbor...The best anchorage is toward the outside on the s/e side near the "yacht club"...Good rocks and deeper water to hold in but, north/northwest winds can cause a dangerous situation, especially, if you aren't on board..
...Several times, while anchored there, sudden high winds came up for a short duration. I estimated one at 50-60 miles per hour. My anchor rope was twanging like a guitar string and the boat was bucking up and down like a bronco..To reduce the tension, I had to start the boat and put it in low forward gear for about 10 minutes until the wind storm abated. That freak storm blew over two toilets, sending them 50' inland....
...Survive enough incidents and you will become a genuine dyed in the wool mariner...
...Some good news for my critics...President Trump just announced that ICE will discontinue chasing illegals and start deporting us seniors....His logic is that they are easier to catch and won't remember how to find their way home...
Makes sense, seniors are expensive!
1. They go to the doctor every other day.
2. Get hip and knee replacements like they’re going out of style.
3. Swig on average 20k a day in pills.

And, What are you talking about? Seniors ALWAYS find their way home, Dammit!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote