Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
sailence

Sharks in the Gulf

I haven't been able to go spearing in a few years, I want to get started back.

I usually dive out of Mexico Beach, Carrabelle, etc..

The last year I dove the sharks had gotten really bad. It's like people were feeding them. I had two that ran up on me and they chased me all the way back to the boat, they didn't get any fish from me. I jabbed them in the nose probably 20 times and yet they still came.

Has this gotten any better, or is the shark shield mandatory now?
sailence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
zackistre

Re: Sharks in the Gulf

Well depends on the area but every since they closed most the commercial shark fishing it has been worse every year.
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Eibwen

Can't say but what I do know is that I am enjoying watching sharks on TV (Shark Week) and drinking some suds. Preferable to fending them off in real life.

Haven't had any issues out of Anclote
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

I dove in the Cedar Key to Steinhatchee areas and got tired of fending off sharks. Took all the joy out of diving. Sold all of my gear to a member of the board and haven't looked back. I still fish and do target sharks. I have an HMS permit with the new shark endorsement so I'm legal.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
sailence

That's what I am worried about.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

I don't recommend my course of action to anyone. It was a calculated decision that I put a lot of thought into. I didn't see the need to make my bride a widow just to go and spear a fish or two. I'm older now and time is catching up with me so all the factors seemed to lead to one logical conclusion. There are times that I miss it but drowning some bait over my favorite grouper lair will have to do for now. My concern is all the hipe about a shortage of sharks. Empirically, I have seen the same up surge that most of you have so why won't the managers be honest. Anyway, off of my soapbox. Be safe.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
I don't recommend my course of action to anyone. It was a calculated decision that I put a lot of thought into. I didn't see the need to make my bride a widow just to go and spear a fish or two. I'm older now and time is catching up with me so all the factors seemed to lead to one logical conclusion. There are times that I miss it but drowning some bait over my favorite grouper lair will have to do for now. My concern is all the hipe about a shortage of sharks. Empirically, I have seen the same up surge that most of you have so why won't the managers be honest. Anyway, off of my soapbox. Be safe.
It is a misconception to some that shark fishing has been stopped but that is only partly true. Sharks can still be harvested but only the most undesirable species. Right now Bulls are the big trouble makers and in my opinion the most dangerous to divers. That said, bulls are one of the few that can be harvested but are of little to no commercial value. The rest of the bothersome bunch- sandbar, dusky, and tigers are protected and for the most part not as difficult to deal with if you only have one hanging around.

While the gulf has had bulls in the past they are far more prolific then in years past and have steadily gained association with boats and people with an easy meal. I associate that with the enormous increase in recreational fishing and spearfishing providing easy and opportunistic food that is easy to attain. I also attribute the steady increase in red snapper stock that have blossomed over the last 12-15 years. Those of us that have been diving the gulf coast of Florida know red snapper didn’t hardly exist in our area and now are on nearly every spot. So what can we do? Not much as just like lion fish they are here and will likely remain for as long as I can still cock a spear gun.

We are now at a point where we have to deal with them. We are certainly still at the top of the food chain and can plan on defending ourselves but in my opinion that is more option “C” with option A being avoiding known “hot” areas to begin with and option “B” to move to a different area if they show up.

I’m not going to stop spearfishing but I am making adjustments in my seasonal hunting locations as well as keeping my visits short and to the purpose at hand.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Tigers are fair game in federal waters IF you have your HMS permit and the shark permit that is free right now. Sand tigers are totally off the list.
Tigers, in my opinion are not that good eating. I'd rather have a young bull any day.

HMS permits are only twenty dollars and allows you to take all fish legally designated as such within legal limits. The shark permit is free right now.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
sailence

Guess I am getting a shark shield then!
Old 08-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #10
CuzzA

Today is August 1st, if my memory serves me right, this time of year the bulls start running in packs. Yay.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

In October, you don't want to be anywhere near the barge west of cedar key. They stack up just before their southward migration. If you get out there, bring a light and hunt the south end which is the bow. Gag grouper hang out. They have some holes but if you lay flat on the sand and wait a few minutes, you'll see them start to poke their hands out. It it fly!!
Old 08-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #12
grey2112

I avoid all artificial reefs, and wrecks. I occasionally see sharks on ledges, but mostly on ones where a resident is there (Bullshaft is the worst, as some of my fellow divers who have visited that ledge can attest).

In the past 2 years on the spots I frequent I've seen very few. They must all be hanging out on more "hot" areas.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
Gettingrouper2
Senior Shooter

Eric, I'll give ya a couple good spots with reputations !
Gettingrouper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #14
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingrouper2 View Post
Eric, I'll give ya a couple good spots with reputations !
LOL - I'm sure you will! You just want to see what "The Hammer" can do to a shark, eh?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #15
SEATUX

https://my.xfinity.com/video/sharks-...b=Must%20Watch
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote