Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science

Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science Discuss invasive exotic species such as lionfish, carp, snakehead, etc. including news, spearfishing and scientific research in any geographical region.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
SC00BAD1V3R

Lionfish invention!...Kind of...to get the big ones!

Alright so Ive shot my share of lionfish and have only bagged one big enough to eat. I truly believe these fish are adapting and are now scared of divers, at least the bigger ones. Ive notices a huge difference in thier attitudes from Florida to Bonaire.

While on my last dive I tried to take out a large (2lbs) lionfish and couldnt even come close enough to shoot it. Ive thought of getting a smaller banded gun (24") and putting a paralyzer tip on...when I realized that I could make one like this with tools available in the shop (SCUBAdventures in Naples)

Check out what I came up with.

This is a powerhead adapter that threads to a standard powerhead to most speartip. Note the screw on the side. This is my 42" seahornet

Thanks, have a nice day.

If this photo is too small go here:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...34577743_n.jpg

SC00BAD1V3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
AlexbeeintheUK

Re: Lionfish invention!...Kind of...to get the big ones!

Your link is broken
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC00BAD1V3R View Post
Alright so Ive shot my share of lionfish and have only bagged one big enough to eat. I truly believe these fish are adapting and are now scared of divers, at least the bigger ones. Ive notices a huge difference in thier attitudes from Florida to Bonaire.

While on my last dive I tried to take out a large (2lbs) lionfish and couldnt even come close enough to shoot it. Ive thought of getting a smaller banded gun (24") and putting a paralyzer tip on...when I realized that I could make one like this with tools available in the shop (SCUBAdventures in Naples)

Check out what I came up with.

This is a powerhead adapter that threads to a standard powerhead to most speartip. Note the screw on the side. This is my 42" seahornet

Thanks, have a nice day.

If this photo is too small go here:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...34577743_n.jpg

I couldnt open your link either. But I have to ask, is this some sort of joke? You couldnt get close enough to a lion fish to shoot it! If that is true you may be in the wrong sport, I cant think of anything easier to shoot. As for eating, even the small ones have a decent yield once you fillet them.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I couldnt open your link either. But I have to ask, is this some sort of joke? You couldnt get close enough to a lion fish to shoot it! If that is true you may be in the wrong sport, I cant think of anything easier to shoot. As for eating, even the small ones have a decent yield once you fillet them.
Yesterday, on the east coast of Florida, I saw at least 30 lionfish that were very large. Did not harvest any because I was focused on lobsters. Can't say how large but they had to be at least 2 pounds or larger because they were about 15-16 inches, so however that measures out in weight. Previously, I have shot several and filleted them, had them as sushi, seviche and breaded & skillet fried. All delicious and as good as any fish I have ever eaten.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
is this some sort of joke? Y.

Pretty sure it is a joke, but its kind of hard to tell. I had to read it like 4 times to make any sense of it. And im still confused...are you using power heads on lion fish ??
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
DaveG99

Maybe its a tip that attaches like a power head to a regular spear?

I have spear poled lion fish easily. They just sit there and stare at you like nothing. Easiest fish to spear in my opinion. I wouldnt even use a gun to kill them.
DaveG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
SC00BAD1V3R

Sorry about the link and this is no joke.

There are lionfish bigger and smarter. I've seen the tiny ones, small ones, large ones and then there are HUGE ones that wont let you come near them with a tiny spear.

This tip allows people carry ONLY a speargun, screw on the tip and shoot em up, remove with knife and keep hunting for your groupers, hogs, etc.

The problem is people that spearfish see the most lionfish and dont want to kill them because it is too time consuming(lets not forget dangerous).

And yes, on a spearpole it is easier to get them than some of the smaller items there are out there on the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	176850  
Old 08-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

Interesting idea. I still find it hard to believe that you had trouble getting close to a lion fish lol.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Interesting...so its a slip on paralyzer. If you get a pvc tube and make a cut down the pipe to be able to fit over your spear. You can use the pipe and hold pressure against the flopper and get some sheers to cut the spines off. Cutco makes the best IMO, but you can find any HD sheers to do the trick. Then you can handle them without worry.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
SC00BAD1V3R

ive seen 4 or 5 of them as big as a volleyball that duck into holes when you come close.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
SC00BAD1V3R

Yea, I use the sheers often. Zeagle makes a knife/sheer combo pack thats nice.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Ive seen one pulled one up in over 1500 feet, it was the size of a shoe box.