Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-09-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
popgun pete

Rob Allen Tuna Rollergun

Here is someone's chance to win one.
Adreno Spearfishing are giving one away to celebrate the local launch in OZ.
http://www.spearfishing.com.au/spear...oller-speargun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rob Allen Tuna Rollergun.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	231410   Click image for larger version

Name:	giveaway details.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	231411  

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-09-2017 at 04:45 AM. Reason: adding details
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
ninjagazz

Re: Rob Allen Tuna Rollergun

I have seen them advertised, apparently there are only 100 on Oz. I cant tell what rubbers they use or if the rubbers are under pretension?

Seems very expensive.
ninjagazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Without question, this is one incredibly well thought out, end to end roller gun,, and not a bolt on.

Tens of thousands of hours and more money they you or i know what to do with went into developing this gun. I personally spend hundreds of messages with rob and team while this was going on. Hundreds...and im just some kid in florida....

High speed cameras were to measure the specific vortices in the water, to help reduce cavitation on the bands are just one of many efforts that got put into this weapon.
To simply say this gun is "too expensive", while understandable, is a tad much considering......but also considering how its just ooooone little concrete building in Africa thats able to keep the rest of the world happy. By my calculations i figure that gun should be worth about 43,439 dollars each. .

You must consider markup and freight /fees in some countries. Often times, They have to send 5 packages just t make sure everything arrives safely. Ie: 40 handles without triggers and 59 tubes without spears or muzzles, all in an effort to minimize risk. Just something to consider that May effect cots. Imagine a 50,000 dollar rob allen order stuck in customs because it says "gun" on the side...

Also, its safe to assume that rob allen only uses his bands...
Old 02-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
popgun pete

Freight/OS Shipping can double the price, or even triple it on some items, but it also depends on the sales volume and how long it may sit on a shelf, such as a seldom required spare part. A bag of assorted "O" rings as a gun repair/overhaul kit can be under $10 in one place and $30 in another for the exact same item. Looking at the price of band guns the new Rob Allen rollergun is pretty comparable once you factor out the "generic parts bin assembly" spearguns from undefined sources and the "name stickers" factory.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Without question, this is one incredibly well thought out, end to end roller gun,, and not a bolt on.

Tens of thousands of hours and more money they you or i know what to do with went into developing this gun. I personally spend hundreds of messages with rob and team while this was going on. Hundreds...and im just some kid in florida....

High speed cameras were to measure the specific vortices in the water, to help reduce cavitation on the bands are just one of many efforts that got put into this weapon.
To simply say this gun is "too expensive", while understandable, is a tad much considering......but also considering how its just ooooone little concrete building in Africa thats able to keep the rest of the world happy. By my calculations i figure that gun should be worth about 43,439 dollars each. .

You must consider markup and freight /fees in some countries. Often times, They have to send 5 packages just t make sure everything arrives safely. Ie: 40 handles without triggers and 59 tubes without spears or muzzles, all in an effort to minimize risk. Just something to consider that May effect cots. Imagine a 50,000 dollar rob allen order stuck in customs because it says "gun" on the side...

Also, its safe to assume that rob allen only uses his bands...
Full disclosure. I shoot a MannySub. I know the owner of MannySub, he's a friend of mind; assume partial bias.

1. The RA Roller is a $1000 aluminum gun.
2. It's 30% more than a MannySub roller which is carbon.
3. The operational costs in SA are waaaaaay lower than Australia. (Oz min wage is $20/hr, and insurance is through the roof).
4. The muzzle looks awfully similar to a MannySub?
5. The Mannysub roller has been in R&D for five years and the muzzle is now 3rd gen.

I've used my MannySub carbon for two years straight and I'm not really sure I could ask for more in terms of punch and accuracy (There are some things I'm not happy about with the handle, but I'm yet to find the perfect handle, at least to my tastes). It aims where I point it, there's very little recoil and the customer service is great.

I don't know what the RA roller is like, I love Rob, I wish him all the best with it, but right now it's hard for me to justify that price.

That's my two cents. I don't want to get into a shit show, slinging match. I respect your opinion and value your insights so I'll leave the floor to you.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #6
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

No disrespect to Mr A, but, have to agree that gun is way overpriced.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:11 AM   #7
popgun pete

Bear in mind that AU$1000 is around US$770. To get an idea of the "ball park figures" check out the other speargun offerings here: http://www.spearfishing.com.au/spearguns

This is the website running the giveaway competition http://www.spearfishing.com.au/, in fact you can enter the competition from here. I have bought spare parts from these guys, but have no other connection with them other than that I am on their mailing list.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:34 AM   #8
spearq8

Any testing on how this gun shoots? Is great to hear that they spent some time analyzing how the gun shoots ... I think that is what is needed to fix the low shooting problem ... maybe they have done that?

As for Manisub ... when you say it shoot exactly where you point ... that would be a major improvement. Do you have video of shooting where you can see how the shaft behaves?
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #9
aussie

Quick question. If you can get an RA aluminum from Neptonics for about $220 and someone said the RA Roller muzzle is about $200 (which is a little more than a MannySub muzzle), why not just buy the muzzle and build the gun for $400? I definitely know you can get MannySub muzzles in the U.S and it seems like you can get the RA ones from here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Any testing on how this gun shoots? Is great to hear that they spent some time analyzing how the gun shoots ... I think that is what is needed to fix the low shooting problem ... maybe they have done that?

As for Manisub ... when you say it shoot exactly where you point ... that would be a major improvement. Do you have video of shooting where you can see how the shaft behaves?
Hey Spearq8,

I made this video soon after I got the 100cm. My groupings have always been about 1-2cm high and 1-2cm to the left, regardless of what gun I shoot. My wrist tends to pivot left when I fire.

My video is nowhere near as comprehensive as yours but I just wanted to get a sense of where the shaft was going when I pulled the trigger. I don't use the 100 a lot as I only really hunt pelagics. My stock gun is a 120cm, single, 18mm band mannysub roller. I like it because of the lack of recoil, ease to load, and the fact that I can watch where the shaft goes as I pull the tripper (because the muzzle stays relatively still). Before that I shot an RA 120.

Here's a bunch of fish I shot last year with the 120, there are 2 x 15kg(35lb) yellowtail shot on the 100cm 16mm band gun from above in there as well.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
Quick question. If you can get an RA aluminum from Neptonics for about $220 and someone said the RA Roller muzzle is about $200 (which is a little more than a MannySub muzzle), why not just buy the muzzle and build the gun for $400? I definitely know you can get MannySub muzzles in the U.S and it seems like you can get the RA ones from here as well.

Hey Spearq8,

I made this video soon after I got the 100cm. My groupings have always been about 1-2cm high and 1-2cm to the left, regardless of what gun I shoot. My wrist tends to pivot left when I fire.

My video is nowhere near as comprehensive as yours but I just wanted to get a sense of where the shaft was going when I pulled the trigger. I don't use the 100 a lot as I only really hunt pelagics. My stock gun is a 120cm, single, 18mm band mannysub roller. I like it because of the lack of recoil, ease to load, and the fact that I can watch where the shaft goes as I pull the tripper (because the muzzle stays relatively still). Before that I shot an RA 120.

http://youtu.be/57ojURRMPRk

Here's a bunch of fish I shot last year with the 120, there are 2 x 15kg(35lb) yellowtail shot on the 100cm 16mm band gun from above in there as well.

http://youtu.be/_qB9Z68pGIo

That doesn't look like it is setup with a lot of power. Also 4m range is very short range and you really don't get an idea of what is happening with the shaft. In my roller testing, I can get the gun to shoot straight and not dive, but I need to really scale back the power. If I push the power, the shaft dives ... there is a max velocity where you have to accept to get the gun to shoot well. The thing is that this load is just way below what you can get with a normal classic 2 banded setup. Now if you understand that and accept that, then no problems ... the thing is many people are going with rollers as they think they are gaining performance.

If you are getting left shift, try the handle mod video I put it. It completely eliminates left shift ... I mean zero shifting no matter what load you put on or how light the gun is. Many people think that rollers don't have recoil, but of course they do and with a fixed handle there will be benefits.

Nice fish !!! Thanks for sharing that!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
Behslayer

agreed with Maj, you don't really learn much from 8-12' tests on guns which should shoot twice that distance. Better to max out your distances in testing so that it becomes more obvious what is going on. Put your target at 20' from the tip of the shaft. You should still be hitting oranges and have some punch.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
ninjagazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
In my roller testing, I can get the gun to shoot straight and not dive, but I need to really scale back the power. If I push the power, the shaft dives ... there is a max velocity where you have to accept to get the gun to shoot well. The thing is that this load is just way below what you can get with a normal classic 2 banded setup. Now if you understand that and accept that, then no problems ... the thing is many people are going with rollers as they think they are gaining performance.
Spearq8 i love your posts!

What you have said above is really interesting. With my Multi-Stage picasso roller, it shoots really well on medium power, but on full power (ie the band at max streach) the gun seems to loose accuracy and power, i think it is shooting low but i need to do more testing.

The gun definitely has more range than a standard rubber gun.
ninjagazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
popgun pete

I just noticed the second band sitting above the muzzle on a pivoting wire loop anchor, or maybe it is the wishbone of the main band, in fact I think that is what it is. It occurs to me that this is done this way for a reason, but until I get another view of it there may be a number of possibilities.

I just found another view, but here the second "piggyback" band is missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rob Allen Rollergun profile view.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	231491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rob Allen Tuna Rollergun oblique.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	231492  

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-14-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #14
fishSTICKer916

http://freediveshop.com/shop/speargu...na-roller-gun/

$498.90

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Knowledge is Power.
http://www.vimeo.com/2060317

www.Freediveshop.com

www.cristspears.com

fishSTICKer916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
Ron S

OK, I clicked on the link, but I can't figure out how to enter the drawing. I would't be too upset to win one of these from everything I've heard.
Besides, I'm a bit of a Rob Allen fan. I now have a 70,90, and 110.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote