Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #1
jfjf

2019 mini-Season - Palm Beach

Dove one day - Wednesday and the seas were calm, the water was warm and clear and the current was around 2.5 kts or so. Made it tough to dive. Didn't find a whole lot of lobsters and too many with eggs.

Sorry about all the grunting, decided to try one video without music and see how it goes.

If you are not familiar with this kind of diving; when you stop and hook off (even with 300 ft of line out - in 100 ft of depth) both floats which are rigged in series can get pulled underwater. So when you pull the hook loose, the floats begin to accelerate with the current (that is usually stronger near the surface) AND the floats are now pulling upward as they try to ascend to the surface. Once you pull the hook, you pretty much need to hang on until the floats reach the surface and the pulling effect subsides.

Also, it may look like riding a scooter is easy, but I am also kicking hard while scootering trying to navigate laterally etc. Once the scooter is hooked off, it is hard to crawl forward, even when I wear an extra 10 lbs of lead, So each time you leave a hole, you have to add a bunch of air back in the BC to resume the drift.

https://youtu.be/pe9QVtYHtVI

I know people don’t like leaving comments here, but if you can give me a thumbs up on you tube or a comment there, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited by jfjf; 07-26-2019 at 07:31 AM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
Gator

Re: 2019 mini-Season - Palm Beach

Great vid! You earned those the hard way in that current.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Awesome video,,,Jupiter currents were alot stronger than yours in WPB. It made the 95ft stuff all rock climbing and hand grabs. I limited plus one extra from the Lionfish Challenge coin. Atleast we didn't get a 59 degree upwhelling this year!!
Old 07-27-2019, 04:12 AM   #4
Sea_Bass

Thanks for sharing, great video! I feel you guys, I was out of Jupiter and the current was stupid - I gave up on the deep stuff after the first drop.

I tried jfjf's dive flag setup and it worked great on Wed. Have 1 hard float connected to the reel then 1 soft float connected to hard float with a bungie. Second float would stay on the surface most of the time when hooked off.

Last edited by Sea_Bass; 07-27-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Fun video to watch Jim. Thanks for sharing. The current was terrible in Jupiter both days so we came inside to get it down to 2 mph. So while the current was less inside, so were the lobsters. I didnt quite get my 12 each day but made up for it with a couple grouper, a nice hog and a personal best 6lb lobster

Last edited by SEA_ARCHER; 07-27-2019 at 10:50 AM.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
Dbrown

Nice pics Sea Archer!
Thanks for posting video jfjf. That was neat for me to see. I've only been lobstering once down on Ramrod Key. Ton of fun. No scooter. No crazy current. Bunch of my friends were over in West Palm and said it was a tough go this mini. Lot of egg bearing lobster and strong current. I enjoyed watching your methods and strategy. More involved than I was aware of.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Nice pics Sea Archer!
Thanks for posting video jfjf. That was neat for me to see. I've only been lobstering once down on Ramrod Key. Ton of fun. No scooter. No crazy current. Bunch of my friends were over in West Palm and said it was a tough go this mini. Lot of egg bearing lobster and strong current. I enjoyed watching your methods and strategy. More involved than I was aware of.
I don't want to brag too much, but I can make tying shoelaces look hard. Nice catch Brian.

Last edited by jfjf; 07-27-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
Surface Tension

Cool video. I will never again complain about the current being bad.

And not to be an arm chair quarterback, but if you don't have a Dive Alert, you might consider getting one. I make people who dive with me bring them.

We get separated pretty good sometimes to where we can hear our diver signalling us but can't quite get a bearing on their location. Usually the diver can see the boat but not visa versa. We devised a system where the boat begins a slow turn until the boat is on bearing, and the then diver gives a long signal with the dive alert to let the boat know that that is their heading. Doesn't happen a lot but works well when it does.

Thanks for the video.

Dave
Surface Tension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
Dbrown

Good call on the Dive Alert. Also the system of signaling. We use them here on W Coast as well. Just a good process to have. There have been times when fog rolls in and it gets to be a serious issue quickly.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
jfjf

Yeah I should rummage around and find one. I have used them in the past.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #11
sway21

Nice video. Viz looked pretty nice and that is some difficult diving that for sure!
sway21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
Thin man

Between all the gear attached to you and the current, you earned every ounce of meat! For all that effort, finding ones with eggs would have been particularly frustrating!
Thin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
Thin man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surface Tension View Post
We get separated pretty good sometimes to where we can hear our diver signalling us but can't quite get a bearing on their location. Usually the diver can see the boat but not visa versa. We devised a system where the boat begins a slow turn until the boat is on bearing, and the then diver gives a long signal with the dive alert to let the boat know that that is their heading. Doesn't happen a lot but works well when it does.

Dave
I like this system, Surface Tension. That's simple, but sounds effective.
Thin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #14
Marco

You have a pretty good "bug setup" there.

Very informative for me. I'm not very good with lobsters.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote