Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2009 Tournament Archives > 2009 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 16-17

2009 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 16-17 Here is the Classic Spearboard Open Tournament on the west coast of Florida

Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #31
keezdiver
Resident Fish Biologist

Send a message via AIM to keezdiver
Re: SBO Rule Changes...Post your rule questions here

that rule is touchy.

i asked this question last year....never really got an answer...

diver 1 shoots a fish and it comes off the spear, swims away, diver ends the dive.

diver 2 enters the water separately, locates the fish, shoots it again, gets his ass kicked by the fish, strings him, surfaces and climbs on the boat.

it sure as hell doesn't belong to diver 1, but according to the rules...it doesn't belong to diver 2 either....at least not for points towards the tourny.

diver 2 did the work...and shoud get the points.
Accepting donations of beer, food, gas or numbers...for a ride
I'm a car fanatic...my web page with pics
keezdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #32
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezdiver View Post
that rule is touchy.

i asked this question last year....never really got an answer...

diver 1 shoots a fish and it comes off the spear, swims away, diver ends the dive.

diver 2 enters the water separately, locates the fish, shoots it again, gets his ass kicked by the fish, strings him, surfaces and climbs on the boat.

it sure as hell doesn't belong to diver 1, but according to the rules...it doesn't belong to diver 2 either....at least not for points towards the tourny.

diver 2 did the work...and shoud get the points.
I don't think there would be any question behind that one. If the fish completely shook the shaft and diver 2 then shot and stoned it (or subdued it) I would say that diver 2 has full rights (including tourny points) to the fish.
FishDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #33
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDie View Post
I don't think there would be any question behind that one. If the fish completely shook the shaft and diver 2 then shot and stoned it (or subdued it) I would say that diver 2 has full rights (including tourny points) to the fish.
That's the way I would feel too.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #34
jfjf

Quote:
I disagree, since I consider that the first shaft placement (which often causes a fish to hole up) should be considered "assistance", even though it is unintentional that the first shaft is shaken. But if that is the official interpretation of the rules, then I have no problem.

So for clarity, if two guys are freeshafting, they can hunt as a team, as long as the freeshaft falls out of a fish from the first guy, then the other team member can chase the fish down and land it. Also, if the fish runs away with a shaft that does not fall out, can the other diver shoot and recover the fish as his own, or does the shaft need to fall out to make a difference?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #35
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I disagree, since I consider that the first shaft placement (which often causes a fish to hole up) should be considered "assistance", even though it is unintentional that the first shaft is shaken. But if that is the official interpretation of the rules, then I have no problem.

So for clarity, if two guys are freeshafting, they can hunt as a team, as long as the freeshaft falls out of a fish from the first guy, then the other team member can chase the fish down and land it. Also, if the fish runs away with a shaft that does not fall out, can the other diver shoot and recover the fish as his own, or does the shaft need to fall out to make a difference?
I think you're starting to split hairs on the "no assistance" rule(s) with the above. I doubt any team would think that hunting in the above style would be very effective for a tournament, commercial, or recreational shooting. I would hope that the second diver would shoot and recover the fish. Whether or not he claims it as his own would be decided on the boat and I'm POSITIVE that the details would never be disclosed to any weigh master. There are some things you just can't control or put a rule on unless you place an observer on every participating boat.
FishDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #36
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Quote:
I think you're starting to split hairs on the "no assistance" rule(s) with the above. I doubt any team would think that hunting in the above style would be very effective for a tournament, commercial, or recreational shooting. I would hope that the second diver would shoot and recover the fish. Whether or not he claims it as his own would be decided on the boat and I'm POSITIVE that the details would never be disclosed to any weigh master. There are some things you just can't control or put a rule on unless you place an observer on every participating boat.
If we have to outline and explain every rule citing every single example that may or may not happen, by the time people print out the rules they would have run through a ream of paper and a package of ink.

The spirit of the rule is to take down the fish on your own without any assistance. Bryan explains it pretty well if the fish has been shot once before.

This is an individual tournament so take down the fish on your own, no teaming up on fish. If a diver recovers a fish that eluded the first diver, I would not consider that being a team effort. A team effort would be you fighting an AJ and your teammate puts another shaft in him while you are fighting him or even helps you subdue the fish underwater by dispatching or braining the fish.

I am not about to interrogate each diver as he winds his way through the weigh-in line.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #37
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsy View Post
If we have to outline and explain every rule citing every single example that may or may not happen, by the time people print out the rules they would have run through a ream of paper and a package of ink.

The spirit of the rule is to take down the fish on your own without any assistance. Bryan explains it pretty well if the fish has been shot once before.

This is an individual tournament so take down the fish on your own, no teaming up on fish. If a diver recovers a fish that eluded the first diver, I would not consider that being a team effort. A team effort would be you fighting an AJ and your teammate puts another shaft in him while you are fighting him or even helps you subdue the fish underwater by dispatching or braining the fish.

I am not about to interrogate each diver as he winds his way through the weigh-in line.
Sounds good to me.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #38
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #39
headhunter561
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnoly View Post
headhunter561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #40
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnoly View Post
Yeah, no machine guns are allowed either.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #41
mjphawk
Parrfect Weapon

Send a message via AIM to mjphawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsy View Post
It appears it might not be a bad idea to reword that paragraph as it's not really clear.
Just as a matter for consideration concerning the use of a lift bag. South East Florida this is the way everyone hunts and I think it is consistent with the "open" style tournament to allow this as an unassisted method of harvest. We lift bag fish because of our friendly shark population and is actually much more of a safety measure than convenience. We still have to get our hands on the fish and string him up so I would consider that the fish was subdued before the lift bag could be deployed; thus, no assistance would be granted by the boat by picking up the fish. Also, while not my style of hunting, those individuals performing deep deco drops for their hunting also would typically lift their fish as a safety measure.
mjphawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #42
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjphawk View Post
Just as a matter for consideration concerning the use of a lift bag. South East Florida this is the way everyone hunts and I think it is consistent with the "open" style tournament to allow this as an unassisted method of harvest. We lift bag fish because of our friendly shark population and is actually much more of a safety measure than convenience. We still have to get our hands on the fish and string him up so I would consider that the fish was subdued before the lift bag could be deployed; thus, no assistance would be granted by the boat by picking up the fish. Also, while not my style of hunting, those individuals performing deep deco drops for their hunting also would typically lift their fish as a safety measure.
I don't see us banning the use of lift bags since I know it is an acceptable and safe practice on the East Coast.

It's just more of a clarification on what is deemed assistance and what isn't.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #43
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz

HOLY CRAP, MR WEIGHMASTER... NO MACHINE GUNS?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Houston, we have a problem...:-)
Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #44
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

Quote:
I think tournaments should allow this, as it would be a reward to anyone recovering an injured fish regardless of who shot it. It places more probability that lost fish will be recovered. The personal conflicts would have to be worked out, but whatever. If its one thing this sport does not need, its people complaining on a public forum that they lost fish during a tournament. This would be one way to help minimize that. Just my thoughts.
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #45
herefishyfishy

Hi There, I posted your info our website (currently being redesigned.... www.longfins.net). Hope you get a good turnout!
herefishyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote