Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
BobbyAnaya

Question SoCal spots and fish.

Hi I'm new to spear fishing. I have a pole spear and I live in Newport Beach, CA and I was wondering if anyone knew some spots I could go to and what kind of fish to look for in those spots. Someone please reply!
BobbyAnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
unkabonka

Re: SoCal spots and fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyAnaya View Post
Someone please reply!

Desperate, are we?

Man, there are fish all over the place. Jump in where you feel comfortable. My recommendations: get in the water. learn the regulations and fish identifications. then, in about a month or so, think about spearing something. Ok, places... anywhere from Crystal Cove to main beach laguna is a great place to start looking. You may want to check the swell conditions before you go, as shore diving can get dangerous in big swell. Check here: http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub...item=socal_now Anything over 3 feet makes me pause.

Dont shoot this (it's a Garabaldi, or the california state marine fish:

Do shoot this (they are Opaleye, aka emerald snapper):

This is a sheepshead

But in california we have SHEEPHEAD, and they look like this(size limit 12"):

You can shoot these too, Calico and Sand Bass(MUST be 12" when you measure it out of the water, which means underwater that thing should look 15" easy:

Give these a try too, they are called Sargo, no size limit.

And here are some zebra perch you will likely see: zebra perch.MP4 - YouTube
Corbina are another fun species, don't look deeper than 10 feet, best place to find them is 6 feet or less of water at any sandy laguna beach. north laguna 8/10 - YouTube No size limit on either of these species.

Keep reading reports on spearboard and you may get the hang of it. Most any question that you can think to ask has been asked before, and that is what the search is for!

Last edited by unkabonka; 08-04-2011 at 12:42 AM.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

You should go to an OC Spearos meeting, they're in your area and it'll probably help you out quite a bit. Not sure when their next meeting is but I'm sure someone will post it up
MiguelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
gettin'wet
Glaucus guides my spear

Man, you just got really lucky with that cool response by Unkabonka.
All newbs should definitely take that advice as a good starting point. Learn what you can take and then go get in the water.

...Then once you've been at a spot you have the right to call it your 'secret spot' and complain anytime another diver goes there

gettin'wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
yeskaa
Jess

Not Big Corona but little corona del mar is easy on new guys in regards to close proximity of reef and kelp to shore..You should know where thats at living in Newport beach
now asking ..'what kind of fish to look for'' is kinda scary lol ill end my reply here
yeskaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
Dawn Patrol
/._.\

Try hunting in less than 8' of water over the sand. It is easy hunting for newer divers and you can find perch, croakers, corbina, and halibut. All taste good, but perch are definately not on the top of anybody's list around here.

Private message me if you want some more specific help on spots.
Dawn Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
Wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyAnaya View Post
Hi I'm new to spear fishing. I have a pole spear and I live in Newport Beach, CA and I was wondering if anyone knew some spots I could go to and what kind of fish to look for in those spots. Someone please reply!
bobby, its sam stamy. call me some time and ill take u out
Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #8
CPLRENDON
La Lolla

Damn great post for the new guy....most other guys would say USE THE F*****G SEARCH!

Welcome, use the search before posting most of your questions could be answered in 10+ threads, if no post it.
CPLRENDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
BobbyAnaya

Hey thanks for the posts guys. And Sam ill call you somtime. PM me your number.
BobbyAnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #10
AdventureManDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkabonka View Post
Desperate, are we?

Man, there are fish all over the place. Jump in where you feel comfortable. My recommendations: get in the water. learn the regulations and fish identifications. then, in about a month or so, think about spearing something. Ok, places... anywhere from Crystal Cove to main beach laguna is a great place to start looking. You may want to check the swell conditions before you go, as shore diving can get dangerous in big swell. Check here: http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub...item=socal_now Anything over 3 feet makes me pause.

This is a sheepshead

You can shoot these too, Calico and Sand Bass(MUST be 12" when you measure it out of the water, which means underwater that thing should look 15" easy:

Corbina are another fun species, don't look deeper than 10 feet, best place to find them is 6 feet or less of water at any sandy laguna beach. north laguna 8/10 - YouTube No size limit on either of these species.

Keep reading reports on spearboard and you may get the hang of it. Most any question that you can think to ask has been asked before, and that is what the search is for!
I think this is my favorite post/comment I have ever seen on Spearboard/the internet. Keep it up mate!

Adventureman Dan's Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxW...XlZk1Fw/videos
AdventureManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:21 AM   #11
rysgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkabonka View Post
Desperate, are we?

This is a sheepshead

Verry good! I cracked up on the sheep head thing But the minimum size for calico bass and sand bass is 14" not 12.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 AM   #12
greeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysgates View Post
Verry good! I cracked up on the sheep head thing But the minimum size for calico bass and sand bass is 14" not 12.
Yeah, that's because this post was made in 2011. I'm curious, what were you searching for when you came across this post, Dan? It was buried DEEP, and based on your videos it doesn't seem like you need help with opaleye ID.
greeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 AM   #13
AdventureManDan

Haha, right you are. I am preparing to travel for 6 month around the world and spearfish extensively. So I was looking up the best places to spear around and somehow got here. I question was soo naïve, so I took a look. Considering I am planning at least one month in New Zealand, I may try to get a picture of a sheep head just to say NZ has sheephead. lol

Adventureman Dan's Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxW...XlZk1Fw/videos
AdventureManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:10 AM   #14
rysgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeney View Post
Yeah, that's because this post was made in 2011. I'm curious, what were you searching for when you came across this post, Dan? It was buried DEEP, and based on your videos it doesn't seem like you need help with opaleye ID.
Ooops… should have noticed that!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
Shorediver

The post made by @unkabonka was one of the best teaching post I have seen in this forum.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote