Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
Fishy_Killa
#breakwallmob

Buccaneer Days was lit: Pic HEAVY

Buccaneer Days 2018:

This trip wasn’t even supposed to happen for me, my original plan was to drive up to LB, dive bugs Friday night and do a small day trip to the island. Id be back in San Diego on Sunday morning to finish homework and a few tests. Since i didn’t know the REAL plan until Friday midday, I gathered my gear, camera and gun, bought a train ticket for the late afternoon, and sent it!

To make the story shorter, Bug diving sucked, didn’t see one legal! it was nice to jump in the water after a month of no diving. I originally thought we were gonna head over on my friends little skiff, nope.. We ended up taking a 56’ Sport-fisher than my buddy was running that weekend, everything flowed so easily and we were at the island by 11am, not early but not late to the party. The vis looked like the best id ever seen the whole summer! I was diving the West End in July when the vis was 10’.. haha fun stuff right. I only thought id have a few hours to dive so i just brought my Ocean-born, thank freaking god. My third drop at the spot I went a little deeper on a lazy breath hold, maybe 60’ and saw the school milling around at 90’, from that point on i knew i would be diving deep all day. The first fish was a single at 70’, the second out of a school of 100+, the third out of a small wolf pack that had absolutely no interest in me. Boom! 3 on the boat for 2 hours of diving, got to get some stress out and shoot some fish! Even if i didn’t shoot any its still awesome to see yellowtail and the way they act underwater. The afternoon carried on with a bit of drinking and a fun night in two harbors with great people!

Surprisingly i woke up on Sunday morning with not a giant headache, jumped off the boat, woke myself up and suited up. We decided to do a little morning mission with all the girls on the boat, i wanted to dive haha but I brought out camera later on for content too! As we were getting to the spot my friend realized he forgot his gun on the big boat. I talked them into dropping me off while they zoomed back to the boat, The very first drop I had a smaller grade single, maybe 18#er come in and it was an easy shot so i took it fought a seal for 10min by myself and climbed on the rocks while i waited for them to come back. I ended up not seeing any other fish all day.

Totally worth the whole weekend mission, made it back to SD at 11pm and got a chance to finish my work as well! Over all an amazing trip and I'm so grateful to have gone! My first Buccaneer days was a tripp!!!

Thank you to Adam Baker and Derek for making this happen!

Enjoy the images guys

SpearAmerica.com
Fishy_Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
Eytan
FreediverSBlocal

Re: Buccaneer Days was lit: Pic HEAVY

Epic!
Eytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I'm still waiting for the images. What a tease.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

One has to admire your self-discipline!..Catalina girls side-tracked many good intentions over my lifetime....The Beach Boys got it right with CA girls....Almost forgot....the yellowtail made a nice bonus!...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Ha ha, Nice! That's what I'm talking about!
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:23 AM   #6
Alec

Looks like one helluva weekend! Nice job
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #7
Mikel_24

Oh boy! I only wish A SINGLE ONE of my fishing trips could be 10% as fun as that!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote