Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2004 Tournament Archives > Spearboard Open Archives 2004 > Spearboard Open Results

Spearboard Open Results Check here for the 2004 Spearboard Open Results

Old 05-27-2004, 03:16 PM   #16
ROCK BOTTOM

Les,

We must be twins. Damn seaturtle tried to mount me in Panama City two years ago. He really had a twinkle in his eye, I wanted to give him little x's on his eyes.

Zz
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:20 PM   #17
Charlestondivin

How many times is that that you have been violated by turtles les? We kid him about putting a fake female turtle head over his tank valve looking back and winking.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:23 PM   #18
junior

We went out to the grounds for the second time on a small charter boat and did several drops in the 100 foot range. I tagged a nice 15 pound hog that looked like a painting that was hung above the reef That thing looked absolutely unreal underwater. He shook the shaft but took off looking like one of the blue angels with a fat stream of green blood trailing behind him. I chased him down as he came to rest in a small hole and finished him off.

My wife shot in this tournament with me and she has pretty much been the snapper/hogfish killer up until this point. First drop, she is off to my right and when I hit the bottom I immediately pop a nice hog. I strung him up and then looked around to find her and found her stringin a 23" red grouper that she had stoned before ever getting to the bottom. That was cool, her biggest fish yet.

On the last drop, we drifted along a massive ledge with boulders the size of houses sitting in the sand off the ledge in 130 feet. The dive was almost over and we just started getting into some fish when I see a school of AJ's roll up. I pick one off and drive his head into the rocks to get him under control. While fighting him I look around to see if my wife has got my back and I was like "HELL NO", she done went and shot an AJ bigger than mine and was busy stringin' his ass up sitting in the sand at a buck-thirty She has officially caught the bug
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #19
Sheri
So Little Time

Some of you guys just exude irresistible turtle pheremones. Do you have the same effect on women? I have the feeling it has more to do with the shape of your body than anything else. I'm not saying you're fat, but the guys I know that attract turtles all have a very similar shape (large and not skinny).

Junior, that's great about your wife. Good for her! Was she competing? I only knew about Ruth and Nikki in the tournament, both very fine hunters. Would be great to see more women and juniors. I'm not suggesting it for this tournament, but Nationals is having a co-ed team division for the first time this year. It might be fun to have a co-ed and parent/child division in one of the tournaments someday. But never mind...less talk on rules and more on fish stories, please.

Last edited by Sheri; 05-27-2004 at 04:24 PM.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #20
junior

Yep, she competed. She scored 19.8 points and was super proud of her fish She got her first gun less than a year ago and is progressing nicely. A co-ed division would be cool.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:01 PM   #21
Nikki
Good Girl Gone Wong - LOL

I learned how AJs can knock your mask off your face if you don't spear them well enough...first three AJs I've taken were docile (not stoned yet, but gill shot well) and this one...well, he was a reel reef donkey - lol!

Nothing else of note from the tourney, though we did kick up the Jolly Rogers II beverages a notch going up from Blue Nun wine to Korbel champagne....

Once a turtle was checking out my husband, Tommy, while he was head-deep after a bug under a ledge. Had to tell him afterwards how close he was to getting up-close-and-personal with one....he had NO idea!

Junior - Congrats to your wife! It does sound like she has gotten caught up in the fun of spearfishing. Can't wait to meet her at the St. Pete Open! She'll wanna enter that one, right?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:05 PM   #22
ROCK BOTTOM

"large and not skinny"

Sheri, can I put that on my head stone? He was "large and not skinny." Ouch. I prefer to call my particular body style "plush, like a Cadillac."

Mentioning the female spearo, I was telling you the other day that my wife is just learning to speardive and every time she sees your picture, she is filled with the desire to shoot a fish just like the one you are holding. I held her hand through her first attempt at spearfishing and saw her beam with pride over her first kill - a triggerfish. I also saw the disappointment in her face on her second attempt at spearfishing when all she killed was a triggerfish. Well, third time lucky. Her third trip out I watched with anticipation as she made her first shot of the morning. Six inches too short. She then reloaded the gun and while I harvest a nice Almaco, she shot a 30# Amberjack. I was sitting on a pipe with my legs wrapped around it, about 100' down and about three feet from my wife. She was bent over the cross beam holding onto her gun for all she was worth. Apparently you can't hurt an AJ by shooting it high through the shoulder. She was so focused and so intent on getting that fish, it was awsome. I hadn't seen my wife smile like that in five years after we got to the boat and she saw her fish was bigger than mine.

She had the day planner out and was making plans for her next dive trip before we even got back to New Orleans. She even asked me to bump one of my buddies so she could hunt the Hell Divers Rodeo. I am sure she is going to have a great time.

Thanks for the inspiration for my wife, Sheri. Good luck and safe diving.

Steve

The Radiators
Old 05-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #23
junior

We'll both be there for the St. Pete open this year. Looking forward to it! See ya there. Although, she may be pregnant by then (hopefully) and will have to put off the diving for a while.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:58 PM   #24
Red Tide

Anybody like to buy an Oceanic Nitrox Computer?
I found out that I can actually hold my breath longer that this computers repetitive dive table allows.
Other than that I had a great day diving with Paul Renner and Bing Gwong. We laughed from sun up to sunset and shot some nice fish along the way.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #25
Sheri
So Little Time

Usodimare, did Giuseppe freedive the Middlegrounds, or is he a scuba diver too? Was it his first time over here? What did he think....besides the sharks? Did he go back to Italy already?

Junior and Rock Bottom, that is just great about your wives. You'll have a lot of fun together. And if I inspire any woman to try it....well, that is just an honor. I owe my inspiration to some very special guys who did not mind teaching me or having a woman on the boat. And it doesn't hurt that I like to fillet fish, I guess.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:01 PM   #26
ROCK BOTTOM

Fillet fish, yes, good.

Guys, believe it. A woman on the boat is good! Once they learn how they are usually better at fishing and diving than most guys. And I know that there will be at least one weak link on the boat that should be replaced by a girl in a bikini.

Zz

The Radiators
Old 05-27-2004, 10:01 PM   #27
LASeaCat
Helldivers

By the way these conversations are going... I would suggest if you folks come down for the HD rodeo, you have better steer clear of Bourbon Street! You may start liking those turtles!!! And definitely don't wear those black condoms!! (as pictured!)
LASeaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:13 PM   #28
diligaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheri
Some of you guys just exude irresistible turtle pheremones. Do you have the same effect on women? I have the feeling it has more to do with the shape of your body than anything else. I'm not saying you're fat, but the guys I know that attract turtles all have a very similar shape (large and not skinny).
Sheri… that shape would be known as masculine.
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:58 AM   #29
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

Quote:
Originally posted by usodimare
I brought my friend Giuseppe, freediver, from Italy, and he kept asking about sharks and how dangerous they get,
....First dive Giuseppe makes at the middlegrounds he is surrounded by 20/25 sharks biting his fins!
I do not know how to translate exactly what Giuseppe told me and the others in Italian...Porc%°§!!!
The sharks were obviously fans of Italian food.....

Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore spearfishers and anglers. Join us!
http://www.thefra.org

Check out OFFSHORE HUNTER
Waypoint management software for the serious spearfisher.
Got numbers?
http://www.offshorehunter.com
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:24 AM   #30
usodimare

Giuseppe Tortorella has not been using tanks since 1988, he dove the middlegrounds holding his breath and shot fish at 115ft.
It was his first time in the US.
We are both back in Italy, Giuseppe liked it a lot, he wants to come back next year and organize things better with his sponsor, effesub, it could be interesting for them to open to US market.

And, while Floridians seem to be nice to turtles, we Italians must look as exotic food to sharks. Next time I'll use peanut butter on our wetsuit, it should make them puke after first bite..
Your mind is an abyss that is no less bitter.
You like to plunge into the bosom of your image;
You embrace it with eyes and arms, and your heart
Is distracted at times from its own clamoring
By the sound of this plaint, wild and untamable.".....
"The Man and the Sea"
Charles Baudelaire

usodimare is offline   Reply With Quote