Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
captain.ed

New Hunter, New Gun

I took an underwater hunter course two weeks ago w/ Key Dives 'cause I wanted a little expert instruction and I am totally hooked! I bagged two hogs and a red grouper (you can tell PETA that they were harmed), filleted them and popped 'em on the grill...WOW!

While in class, I was able to shoot the newer style JBL 48" woody and an Ocean Rhino 53 (at fish). What a difference. I'm sure that length and mass had a lot to do with it but the recoil was much less from the 53 Ocean Rhino than from the 48 JBL. With the little bit that I know about ballistics and kinetic energy the lower recoil means that more energy was transfered to the spear w/ the Rhino than the JBL, I thought it was also a lot quieter. Of course I'm drawing on about 1 1/2 hours worth of experience in hunting and I've only shot a speargun about 3 times, so my observations probably aren't worth much.

It'll be my first gun and I can afford to buy pretty much anything so I think I'm probably going to pick up the 48" Ocean Rhino tomorrow or Monday. I really don't want a gun that I'll "graduate" from which is what I think may happen if I buy the JBL. BTW, the only reason I was thinking about the 48' instead of the 53 is that I'm a short little bastard (5' 6") and the 53 seems a lot tougher to load than the 48...don't know what the rest of you think; I'd love to hear your thoughts. I live in Islamorda and figure I'll get to use it at least weekly, maybe more often than that.

Glad to be a part of the community!
captain.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Wet Zen

Re: New Hunter, New Gun

Ed, there are two general types of spearguns: rear handle, Euro style guns and mid handle, which are mostly favored by scuba hunters. I'm a rear handle free dive hunter, so I'm not an expert on scuba guns. When firing a speargun it is important to keep your arm locked straight so it doesn't absorb any of the energy released by the bands. Most importantly you don't want your arm rising up from the recoil because it will tip the back of the spear as it flys out and send the shaft downward. As for which type gun is best, you'll get as many opinions on that as there are spearos on this board. Try as many types as you can to see which suits you best. Search the archives and you'll get plenty of info.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Jack in Belize

Location: We have a villa with studios in San Pedro Ambergris Caye Belize chezcaribe.com
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack in Belize

Yep, I took a Rob Allen 1300 Vecta out today and it shoots like a laser. Very comfortable, but different from my Kitto in balance and response. Different styles of gun for different waters.
I got the RA for the Kelp and the Kitto for the Mezzo American Reef.
Choose your gun for what you need it to do, everything else falls into place.
Welcome to underwater fishing.
Jack in Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
IB Slingin

Definately get the 53. You can always just use one band if you dont want too much power(still plenty) and both bands for the big boys. Ive never heard anyone say "I should have bought a smaller gun"! I have the older 52 Rhino"commercial" for when I scuba, good guns. Now you gotta take a freeshafting course! Good luck....
IB Slingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
Putmeincoach
Nate

Send a message via Skype™ to Putmeincoach

Not sure how you were loading the guns so this may not apply. When I first started spearing I would load the gun by placing the butt in my gut. After a few loads, it can hurt like a bitch. Afterwards I learned to load it by placing the butt on my thigh, about midway between my knee and hip and then flex as I pull the bans. It was much much easier to load, and I was able to load longer guns with ease. Definitely go with the 53, it may take a little time to get the loading part down, but once you do you won't notice the difference.

Good Luck,
Nate
Putmeincoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
sharpshooter

Go with the longer gun. When the water is real clear,you'll want the longer range for the weary big fish. When the vis sucks. Just use a longer or thinner band. Some carry two bands at the same time. A "main" band for most shooting and a "whimpy" band for shooting fish in holes. The "whimpy" band still gets the fish. This way your shaft doesn't get buried deep into the coral.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
captain.ed

IB slinging...I love the comment that nobody ever wishes they bought a smaller gun! In fact I have to completely agree with your philosophy. When I bought my truck I knew I didn't need the extra towing capacity of a 5.8L V-8 for my flats skiff. But after two years of pulling around my wife's 8000lb art show trailer I sure wasn't thinking, "I should have bought a smaller truck!"
captain.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
IB Slingin

Yup! The same can be said about flat screen T.V.'s. Anyway, assuming your on scuba, you cant go wrong with one of Kevin's guns. Also, look into one of his freeshafting courses. If you decide to go with a Rhino, he'll teach you how to get the most out of that gun. Good luck and welcome to the board!
IB Slingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
killer-mermaid

I heard the same advise about getting the longest gun you handle and bought the Rhino RX4 (48in) and I'm 5'3" (previously I was shooting a 42 biller for 2 years). I was able to load the 48, but it was a stuggle due to the length. i used it for about 3 months to try and get used to the length and weight, however decided after that time to go down a size to the RX3. I am 100% happy with the RX3. I would rather have a shorter range and be comfortable with my gun. Just another opinion/experience to throw into the mix. Either way, 48 or 53...the rhino is a great choice. I highly recommend the light adaptor for peaking into wrecks and under ledges.
killer-mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote