Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
FalconSpearo

Smile Looking to Buy New Speargun

Hi y'all! I am looking to buy a new gun since I have been using a AB Biller 50 something inch Special, I'm not sure. Its a decent gun but for the price not worth it. The tip is super heavy so it drops very quickly and I got used to aiming high to compensate for the drop haha.

Anyways, I prefer to buy a used gun because they are easier on the wallet. I don't want to waste anyone's time but to be honest I don't NEED a new gun, I just want one. So don't try to sell me a $1500 gun for the low price of $500! or $300! My budget is like $150 tops.

This post is geared towards another fellow spearo that wants to be amazing and gift me a spare gun that they don't really need or use for like a $100-150 dollars. I don't care if it has scratches as long as it shoots how its supposed to or if the repairs aren't too expensive. I don't mind replacing the tip or bands either.

Let me know if you know anyone that could help me out!

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Falcon.

P.S. I am sure there is a thread about selling/trading guns but since the forum is not too alive, I figured this was my best bet. I am also posting in Florida East Coast. Cheers.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: Looking to Buy New Speargun

We can have a brand new MAKO Predator 110 cm at your door for under $200. I figure a 110 is the minimum size for the clear water of Miami. A 120 is also a popular choice for your area - that one is $10 more.

If you get a used gun and have to re-rig and replace bands etc, you may be coming close to the cost of a new gun which comes with an unconditional 3-yr warranty.

Thanks!

Dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/Product...uctCode=MPP3GR

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
rowow

I recommend getting a used one from ebay. I got a old 48" jbl woody (looks JUST like your ab miller) for $100 shipped. Just gotta wait for a good deal. With some upgraded bands and a slip tip I got a new speargun for under $150.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
I recommend getting a used one from ebay. I got a old 48" jbl woody (looks JUST like your ab miller) for $100 shipped. Just gotta wait for a good deal. With some upgraded bands and a slip tip I got a new speargun for under $150.
JBL,s Suck
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropMan View Post
JBL,s Suck
Why? Or do you spout back rumors from what you hear other people say?
Here is a forum list of people who have good things to say, and I used mine for over 3 years with no problems.

You are talking about a stick with a rubber band and metal rod... there isn't much to fail on.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=138903
Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Nothing wrong with the Biller,they last forever and shoot fine.

I doubt there are many guns in the world that bave shot as many fish as my 2005ish 54 Biller.
5 to 10 tons per year since I bought it.From the Keys to Carolinas and Gulf.

Ballast it for bottom fish ,leave the ballast off for pelagic to avoid being one of those "lost gun" posters
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
Scubadood

Quote:
Why? Or do you spout back rumors from what you hear other people say?
Here is a forum list of people who have good things to say, and I used mine for over 3 years with no problems.

You are talking about a stick with a rubber band and metal rod... there isn't much to fail on.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=138903
In the 70,s they were about the best, not many options.
There service dept is horrible.They were a great beginner and novice gun but now there are way better builders.The Sea Hornet from aussie was tops then.
Still a good gun like a biller.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
rowow

Quote:
In the 70,s they were about the best, not many options.
There service dept is horrible.They were a great beginner and novice gun but now there are way better builders.The Sea Hornet from aussie was tops then.
Still a good gun like a biller.
Still haven't explained how they are bad. You can call the company service bad and ill support you on that. But that has nothing to do with a spear gun's performance. And since the OP is looking for another cheap gun, a used old JBL is exactly what he needs.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
Scubadood

Quote:
Still haven't explained how they are bad. You can call the company service bad and ill support you on that. But that has nothing to do with a spear gun's performance. And since the OP is looking for another cheap gun, a used old JBL is exactly what he needs.
Sounds like you drove a ford pinto.lol
just my 2 cents .
Old 11-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
rowow

Quote:
Sounds like you drove a ford pinto.lol
just my 2 cents .
Or I hate it when people spread baseless opinions and rumors. This is the reason why Americans are known as idiots who buy overpriced crap. Like I said you can dislike JBL and thats fine, but countless people dont go into spearfishing or buy hundredths of dollars worth of overpriced shit because of comments like these based of rumors. I know dozens of people that dont go into a sport because they think they HAVE to buy the overpriced expensive crap. If the best reasoning you can provide is "I think so" then your opinion is worth LESS then 2 cents. Its more like a debt of thousands of dollars.

So thank you for ruining countless children childhood's and making more waste money on corporations who brainwash you with their ads.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
Scubadood

Quote:
Or I hate it when people spread baseless opinions and rumors. This is the reason why Americans are known as idiots who buy overpriced crap. Like I said you can dislike JBL and thats fine, but countless people dont go into spearfishing or buy hundredths of dollars worth of overpriced shit because of comments like these based of rumors. I know dozens of people that dont go into a sport because they think they HAVE to buy the overpriced expensive crap. If the best reasoning you can provide is "I think so" then your opinion is worth LESS then 2 cents. Its more like a debt of thousands of dollars.

So thank you for ruining countless children childhood's and making more waste money on corporations who brainwash you with their ads.
Us Americans have freedom of choice and speech, you must be a foreigner
with JBL stock , you sir are the Idiot.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
rowow

Quote:
Us Americans have freedom of choice and speech, you must be a foreigner
with JBL stock , you sir are the Idiot.
And I have the freedom of choice and speech to question your claims. I never told you to become silent, I simply asked for proof. What the problem with that? I even defended your freedom of speech with the following sentence.
"Like I said you can dislike JBL and thats fine"

But since you are bringing the law into this, you do NOT have the right to slander and spread lies. This is not covered under the first amendment and ruled by the supreme court on multiple occasions. One of the criteria to not be slander is whether the person making the claim is able to prove it. Which is something you have thus far failed to do with your only counter argument claiming its your opinion and resorting to personal attacks and name calling.

I also have the freedom of speech to call Americans overweight idiots, being a american I know this from personal experience and I can provide statistics and facts to demonstrate my claim with USA leading the world in obesity and poor education. You may not like it and I honestly dont care. But if you are a true american you would recognize this fact otherwise how can you fix the problem? The first step to solving a problem is admitting it exists.

I dont call Americans stupid because I hate america, I call Americans stupid because I care for the USA and recognize the pandemic we are facing and want to make the nation better. Just like when a teacher or parent calls out a child's mistake, they do so to make the child better.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:50 AM   #13
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

Yes, you can shoot fish with a JBL. I don't recommend that gun though. I don't personally like MAKO spearguns but, they're cheap to buy and maintain. Railgun are very accurate and should drastically outperform the JBL for just a little bit more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconSpearo View Post
Hi y'all! I am looking to buy a new gun since I have been using a AB Biller 50 something inch Special, I'm not sure. Its a decent gun but for the price not worth it. The tip is super heavy so it drops very quickly and I got used to aiming high to compensate for the drop haha.

Anyways, I prefer to buy a used gun because they are easier on the wallet. I don't want to waste anyone's time but to be honest I don't NEED a new gun, I just want one. So don't try to sell me a $1500 gun for the low price of $500! or $300! My budget is like $150 tops.

This post is geared towards another fellow spearo that wants to be amazing and gift me a spare gun that they don't really need or use for like a $100-150 dollars. I don't care if it has scratches as long as it shoots how its supposed to or if the repairs aren't too expensive. I don't mind replacing the tip or bands either.

Let me know if you know anyone that could help me out!

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Falcon.

P.S. I am sure there is a thread about selling/trading guns but since the forum is not too alive, I figured this was my best bet. I am also posting in Florida East Coast. Cheers.
Buy a flopper shaft and get someone to make the right sized bands for it. Use a Rob Allen line bungie and 200lb line on a single wrap. You can even go 9/32 on the shaft if you want. I think finding a good setup would be a lot cheaper than replacing your gun.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #15
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
Yes, you can shoot fish with a JBL. I don't recommend that gun though. I don't personally like MAKO spearguns but, they're cheap to buy and maintain. Railgun are very accurate and should drastically outperform the JBL for just a little bit more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Agree with you there. Are they the best in the world and the end all gun? NO. Are they the shittiest gun that no one should ever buy? NO. But for someone with a budget of 150 and just wants a working ok gun, alot of old jbl's will do the trick.

When I was young I got into the sport cause of JBL, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford spearfishing when I first started.