Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2008 Tournament Archives > OMER Hatteras Blue Water Open - July 18-20, 2008

OMER Hatteras Blue Water Open - July 18-20, 2008 7th annual tournament in the Outer Banks of NC with over $10,000 in prizes.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
bk393
Designated Diver

Send a message via Yahoo to bk393
Thumbs down Omer Tournament CANCELLED

Dear friends. Unfortunately this year I will be forced to cancel the tournament.

After speaking to many divers citing higher gas/charter/flights/accommodations so on and so forth most of the veterans of the tournament want to wait until next year. We had a very disappointing # of entries as of the beginning of the month, and the projected # of entries would be less than the amount needed to cover half the running costs. I began organizing this tournament not for the money, but to teach and promote the excitement of this sport in a conservation minded way by stressing the importance of being selective, an approach that was emphasized for spearfishing by one of my mentors, Terry Maas.

To run the Omer Hatteras Open costs my company more than $10,000 every year between custom t-shirt printing in low quantities, expensive trophies (we always spend over $1K on those alone), catering, awards banquet dinner for the entrants, marketing, prizes, running expenses that unless we can even cover half of breaking even it really stings a small company like ours. It is better to keep the excitement high and wait a year when the economy improves and people have more discretionary income to do this sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure that a one year break will help bring back those divers who come every year. In anticipation of the tournament next year I look forward to your infectious enthusiasm and renewed excitement that is required to make the tournament the success that it has been over the last six years. Have a great season and dive safe and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Clear waters,

Mark Laboccetta

Technosport Inc. - Omer & C4 USA

1176 Jensen Drive , Virginia Beach , VA 23451

www.omerdiving.com
bk393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Sergio DaSilva

Re: Omer Tournament CANCELLED

Me and Marc (Azorian Spear) are still coming to Cape Hatteras that weekend, the airfare and hotel were already booked so no backing out now. I believe BK393 still plans on diving there that weekend also. If any other divers still plan on going, we're looking to hitch a ride and split the outragous fuel costs. We'll be there Thursday afternoon thru Monday morning.
Sergio DaSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
bk393
Designated Diver

Yeah, I'm going to be there anyway - we'll have our own tournament!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
kjflyfish
snorklin'

The fish will still be there and you'll have them all to yourselves!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
bk393
Designated Diver

Actually I'll be there all next week so that population is going to take a hit
Old 06-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Exos Lucius

For me also it's too late to back-off from lodging and transport arrangements and I'll be in Hatteras in the period July 13-25. I'm really hoping to share a ride out for some spearfishing. bk393 and Sergio check you pm box.
Cheers,

Virgil
Exos Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
JAW

A first class tournament, I really enjoyed diving up there the one year I went. You could tell a lot of time and effort went into setting it up and running it. In a few years when I can afford the travel and time off, I will be back for sure.

Jason W

JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Bill McIntyre

Mark,

That's a shame. I've always heard great things about your tournament. Lets hope the economy will look better by next year and you can resume the march.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

Sorry to hear that MarK. But look at the bright side I can start saving for next years tourny now.

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote