Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-17-2018, 04:46 AM   #1
Fishy_Killa
#breakwallmob

Australian Pargo & Mutton Snapper

Hey Guys!
Its been an unreal experience in the land down under, giant fish, giant sharks and giant crocs, what a trip. I moved away from Cairns down to Brisbane and got the chance to dive with Trevor Ketchion from Submerged Psychos, absolute weapon of a diver. We made a plan and drove 9 hours straight to the grounds.. the first part of the day was rough, lots of current, deep drops and no fish. I think I had a little Green Jobfish in the boat at that point.

Later in the day we were dropping 70'-100' on these little rubble piles. Trevor ended up finding a rock on the sounder that looked promising, But in ripping current we knew it might be difficult. I jumped off the boat first and dropped immediately as i had been breathing up while we reset the drift. I made it to about 70' when i looked up and saw 3 distinct fish.. Large Mouth Nannagai close to American Mutton snapper, but usually you find these fish in 120'+ so i was stoked. Thank god i had the OB 145 because no way i would a gotten close enough with any other gun that i had. Anyway somehow got it past the sharks and got it on the boat.. done! i was boatie and getting everything organized but at the same time Trevor Dropped and shop a beast of a Mangrove jack like 9kg or something. I never seen one that big so i just called it the Australian pargo all day hahaha.

Trevors Jack

My NannaGai

SpearAmerica.com
Fishy_Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Trace

Re: Australian Pargo & Mutton Snapper

Killin it CJ!
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Lompoc Local
Errin

Nice fish.

What are you doing for work? Need an assistant?

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Halfcan

How does your GoPro hold up without a housing at 70', they are only rated for 33ft?
Halfcan is offline   Reply With Quote